Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIT No Longer Giving Auto-Bid to Regular Season Champs
Bookmark and Share
dploew Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary
While I know we’re not winning the MBB regular season crown anytime soon, our prospects of seeing the NIT again just took a hit.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...nce-champs
10-27-2023 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

RE: NIT No Longer Giving Auto-Bid to Regular Season Champs
Yep, yep, yep. Just follow the money...
10-27-2023 09:22 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Very troubling. They clearly miss the concept of March Madness. You eliminate the Mid Major and less conferences and lose the Madness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2023 05:54 AM by wmmii.)
10-28-2023 05:52 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
They should add a slam dunk contest, a three point contest, and just call it a circus like the NBA All Star game. IMO, what could be really interesting is for the NIT to start at the start of the season and have a real tournament with maybe 16 teams.
10-28-2023 05:57 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Who doesn't want to see two .500 record P5 teams going at it in post season play? Pretty exciting stuff.
10-28-2023 07:11 AM
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
I basically pay no attention to the NIT unless I have a team playing in it.

I attended NIT games twice, the Tribe @ UNC-Cheat and Davidson hosted Lipscomb once. Both were losses for my team. I don't watch games on TV unless it is my team. Penn State used to be a fixture in the NIT, and i dutifully watched the games hoping it was a stepping stone to bigger things the next year, but it seldom was.

The "power" conferences are using the portal and NIL to turn mid-majors into their developmental league. The NIT's move is just another step towards having two divisions in D1 without an official separation.

Not sure how this will impact my fandom long term, although at my age, what is long-term anyway?
10-28-2023 07:33 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
The NIT has lost so much of its appeal - starting with moving the 1st round games to home courts, the expansion of the NCAA tourney and then moving out of MSG altogether.

My best memory was the Virginia Tech run for the championship back in 1973. They beat Notre Dame on a buzzer shot. All the games then were played at MSG. Tech beat New Mexico, Fairfield, Alabama and then ND. At the time, it was the biggest accomplishment in men’s basketball in Virginia

I never did see any of the W&M appearances except the game at UNC on TV. That was a great effort by that team. Thought we had it with 5 to go. Should have been played at Kaplan.
10-28-2023 07:46 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I wonder if this has an impact on practice time like bowl games do. Could be another big benefit to major programs.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
10-28-2023 09:47 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
(10-28-2023 07:46 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  My best memory was the Virginia Tech run for the championship back in 1973. They beat Notre Dame on a buzzer shot. All the games then were played at MSG. Tech beat New Mexico, Fairfield, Alabama and then ND. At the time, it was the biggest accomplishment in men’s basketball in Virginia

That was 50 years ago. Things change. The NIT let the luster wear off.
10-28-2023 06:28 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(10-28-2023 07:33 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  The "power" conferences are using the portal and NIL to turn mid-majors into their developmental league. The NIT's move is just another step towards having two divisions in D1 without an official separation.

This is where I am at on this topic. To me this is purely trying to entice middling/bad power conference teams to say yes to the NIT vs passing like they have been recently. Since they are guaranteeing them a home game too, it just give them a real opportunity for more money. More money in the pockets of the power conference teams, the more the separation continues.

Unfortunately this makes it too obvious and moves away from "best of the rest" or "earning" your spot. NET is already heavily leaned toward the power conferences, this just exemplifies it further. It continues to take opportunities away from the small guys.

You mean you dont want to see a 14-19 Pitt squad hosting a 25+ win mid major? Oh wait, that is the only way we see that match up anyhow. God forbid the smaller guys ever get a chance at hosting a power and winning.

Also can't wait to see what this does when a near 30 win team has a NET of 120+ and gets left out of the NIT altogether. I know conferences want the opportunity to make money through their conference tournaments, but I wonder if this makes some disappear as those leagues dont want to risk not sending their best team to the NCAA now (since there is no guarantee that teams gets an NIT invite)?
10-31-2023 11:02 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(10-31-2023 11:02 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(10-28-2023 07:33 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  The "power" conferences are using the portal and NIL to turn mid-majors into their developmental league. The NIT's move is just another step towards having two divisions in D1 without an official separation.

This is where I am at on this topic. To me this is purely trying to entice middling/bad power conference teams to say yes to the NIT vs passing like they have been recently. Since they are guaranteeing them a home game too, it just give them a real opportunity for more money. More money in the pockets of the power conference teams, the more the separation continues.

Unfortunately this makes it too obvious and moves away from "best of the rest" or "earning" your spot. NET is already heavily leaned toward the power conferences, this just exemplifies it further. It continues to take opportunities away from the small guys.

You mean you dont want to see a 14-19 Pitt squad hosting a 25+ win mid major? Oh wait, that is the only way we see that match up anyhow. God forbid the smaller guys ever get a chance at hosting a power and winning.

Also can't wait to see what this does when a near 30 win team has a NET of 120+ and gets left out of the NIT altogether. I know conferences want the opportunity to make money through their conference tournaments, but I wonder if this makes some disappear as those leagues dont want to risk not sending their best team to the NCAA now (since there is no guarantee that teams gets an NIT invite)?

Given the ridiculous size of some conferences now (e.g.14 team CAA) at minimum leagues should look at excluding some teams from the tournament. Perhaps only the top 4 teams play and the games are at the top seeds home court. That way the league keeps its slot as a championship game on an ESPN station, but really gives the top team the best chance to win.
As someone who has attended multiple conference tourneys in a single season several years, I would hate to see this happen, but what chance does a 14 seed have of winning the tourney anyway? Also, I have attended play-in games where there were more people working the game than fans in attendance. this goes for more than just the CAA.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2023 01:07 PM by NC Tribe.)
10-31-2023 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.