Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High Hopes
Bookmark and Share
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
High Hopes
Ok... I have had time to rationalize what is going on with the Football team. We are an above average squad with below average execution and direction. I had high hopes that us signing a new OC would mean a change from the typical RPO Fade, RPO Slant, and zone blocking scheme that had become the norm for a Todd Witten team. Those high hopes have been dashed. Look at the play selection/calling from the Over time periods. I understand that a lot of the RPO style offense is predicated on what the QB sees in the defense. 1- we do not have the QB good enough for those throws. 2- We do not have the receivers we have had in the past to go get the jump balls. 3. We do not have the offensive scheme to keep the defense on their heels. We have the easiest game plan to prepare for... lack of creativity, formations, and pre snap movement are all things that defense must prepare for; all of which are nonexistent in this staff.

I get that we are in transition. I get that the transition period may cause recruiting to take a hit... but geez this QB is not the answer. I know the kid tries, but it is not working. All I am saying is that we are compounding that issue with a very simplistic offense.

Okay... I'm off the ledge. When's basketball season?
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 11:25 AM by wisdomgymrat.)
10-16-2023 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Oscar P Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: High Hopes
(10-16-2023 11:23 AM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  Ok... I have had time to rationalize what is going on with the Football team. We are an above average squad with below average execution and direction. I had high hopes that us signing a new OC would mean a change from the typical RPO Fade, RPO Slant, and zone blocking scheme that had become the norm for a Todd Witten team. Those high hopes have been dashed. Look at the play selection/calling from the Over time periods. I understand that a lot of the RPO style offense is predicated on what the QB sees in the defense. 1- we do not have the QB good enough for those throws. 2- We do not have the receivers we have had in the past to go get the jump balls. 3. We do not have the offensive scheme to keep the defense on their heels. We have the easiest game plan to prepare for... lack of creativity, formations, and pre snap movement are all things that defense must prepare for; all of which are nonexistent in this staff.

I get that we are in transition. I get that the transition period may cause recruiting to take a hit... but geez this QB is not the answer. I know the kid tries, but it is not working. All I am saying is that we are compounding that issue with a very simplistic offense.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Except don’t get too excited about basketball. New team every year. Nobody over 6’7”(kidding, kind of) in a league that is dominated by big men, and teams that have played together for more than a couple years. Has our team even learned each others names yet? Middle of the pack finish. The women should be improved at least. Surely.
10-16-2023 12:24 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
Basketball team picked 6th in preseason poll. Not bad.

Back to the thread. I have been going back and forth in my head on our offense and the team in general. I liked the play calling in the first half of the EKU and SUU games. Not sure why we are changing in the second half. This QB is trying but can’t perform in this type of offense, but neither could the 4 star from last year. The great Ben Holmes could play in this offense on one leg and he did in one game. The coaches can see the same things we are seeing and if they think 11 isn’t as bad as 3, then we missed on our QB recruiting this year. O Line needs some work and our two best receivers have only played 15 snaps together this year, per Coach Whitten. We are in year 4 of the move up and recruiting has suffered as we have had only one good class in the past four years.

Having said all that, we are literally only 2 plays away from being 6-1, fumble against SUU and a missed FG against EKU. We get another very good to great recruiting class, major upgrades at QB, add depth everywhere and improve OL, we will be moving the program forward. Need to keep OC and give him more control over offense.

I have posted Whitten is on the hot seat next year and I’m still agreeing with this statement. All of our programs must be showing improvement. I think we may have two not moving forward so VB and W Golf may need changes. If FB doesn’t show improvement next year, then we need to change things. FB has shown significant talent and performance upgrades this year but we must continue the forward movement.

We are still having these same conversations about football next year, then I agree changes need to happen. If changes are needed, then hopefully a new AD will be making those decisions.
10-16-2023 08:41 PM
Advertisement

wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

(10-16-2023 08:41 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Basketball team picked 6th in preseason poll. Not bad.

Back to the thread. I have been going back and forth in my head on our offense and the team in general. I liked the play calling in the first half of the EKU and SUU games. Not sure why we are changing in the second half. This QB is trying but can’t perform in this type of offense, but neither could the 4 star from last year. The great Ben Holmes could play in this offense on one leg and he did in one game. The coaches can see the same things we are seeing and if they think 11 isn’t as bad as 3, then we missed on our QB recruiting this year. O Line needs some work and our two best receivers have only played 15 snaps together this year, per Coach Whitten. We are in year 4 of the move up and recruiting has suffered as we have had only one good class in the past four years.

Having said all that, we are literally only 2 plays away from being 6-1, fumble against SUU and a missed FG against EKU. We get another very good to great recruiting class, major upgrades at QB, add depth everywhere and improve OL, we will be moving the program forward. Need to keep OC and give him more control over offense.

I have posted Whitten is on the hot seat next year and I’m still agreeing with this statement. All of our programs must be showing improvement. I think we may have two not moving forward so VB and W Golf may need changes. If FB doesn’t show improvement next year, then we need to change things. FB has shown significant talent and performance upgrades this year but we must continue the forward movement.

We are still having these same conversations about football next year, then I agree changes need to happen. If changes are needed, then hopefully a new AD will be making those decisions.

I was saying the same things last year about the offense. Stephenville HS runs a more sophisticated scheme. Heck Santo runs a better scheme. I thought that bringing in the OC would change things up a bit... not so much. Looks exactly like it has. I will go with you on the recruiting.

Maybe being part of the A&M system has led us to be okay with mediocrity. The Aggies definitely are okay with it... I guess the Texans are as well.
10-17-2023 08:31 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(10-17-2023 08:31 AM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 08:41 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Basketball team picked 6th in preseason poll. Not bad.

I was saying the same things last year about the offense. Stephenville HS runs a more sophisticated scheme. Heck Santo runs a better scheme. I thought that bringing in the OC would change things up a bit... not so much. Looks exactly like it has. I will go with you on the recruiting.

Maybe being part of the A&M system has led us to be okay with mediocrity. The Aggies definitely are okay with it... I guess the Texans are as well.

The offense we need is even more simple than what we're running. AIr Raid is not complicated. It's really this simple: We've got a big 6'4 SEC transfer gunslinger sitting on the sideline, an NFL-caliber receiving corp who are ALWAYS open being extremely under-utilized, a coach that can dial-up the plays to put 60 points on the scoreboard EVERY night blindfolded, and we're too scared to make a change. Our RBs are deep, solid and they run hard. Our big uglies can zone block really well and bully around most other team's DL's at the line of scrimmage. Fortune favors the bold, so lets plug-in QB2 and start slingin' that pigskin around the ol' backyard about 30-50 times a game and let our incredibly talented (and OPEN) WRs go get it. That will wear down tbe opposing defense and open up big plays in the running game. In other words, we need Whitten to take the handcuffs off Mason Miller and go out there and AIR RAID! Win or Lose seems like a way better option than sitting back going doing nothing and continuing with the status quo, I'll tell you that much.
10-17-2023 10:45 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(10-16-2023 12:24 PM)Oscar P Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 11:23 AM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  Ok... I have had time to rationalize what is going on with the Football team. We are an above average squad with below average execution and direction. I had high hopes that us signing a new OC would mean a change from the typical RPO Fade, RPO Slant, and zone blocking scheme that had become the norm for a Todd Witten team. Those high hopes have been dashed. Look at the play selection/calling from the Over time periods. I understand that a lot of the RPO style offense is predicated on what the QB sees in the defense. 1- we do not have the QB good enough for those throws. 2- We do not have the receivers we have had in the past to go get the jump balls. 3. We do not have the offensive scheme to keep the defense on their heels. We have the easiest game plan to prepare for... lack of creativity, formations, and pre snap movement are all things that defense must prepare for; all of which are nonexistent in this staff.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Except don’t get too excited about basketball. New team every year. Nobody over 6’7”(kidding, kind of) in a league that is dominated by big men, and teams that have played together for more than a couple years. Has our team even learned each others names yet? Middle of the pack finish. The women should be improved at least. Surely.

Watch out for the women's team! Roster is very much improved, and Coach Brock is the real deal. Consummate Professional. Time will show he was a homerun hire for Tarleton WBB.

As for BCG & the Gang, nobody knows. How can we? We are right back where we started 3 years ago. All of the young talent we brought in and developed? Gone. All of it. Rookies Izzy Miles and Paul Thomas are the new Heir Apparents, but who knows if they will even be here next year? BCG seems giddy about rotating in a new "improved" squad every year. I have some doubts, but we'll see. This season's success-failure rate will speak volumes.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2023 12:58 AM by Itinerant Texan.)
10-18-2023 12:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.