Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT Golf 2023-24
Bookmark and Share
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
UT Golf 2023-24
Hadn't really been paying attention to fall golf, but UT men are playing in MSU's tourney in Florida as we speak, which includes 6 Big Ten teams and 6 top 60 squads. After 2 rounds, UT is tied for 1st place with 58th ranked USF at 28 under. UT is in front of Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers, MSU, Penn State & Maryland, as well as 34 North Florida and 53 Cincinnati. The best part, is Kent is also in the field and is trailing UT by 20 shots.

Clay HS product Palmer Yenrick is in 1st at -14 while Barend Botha is 3rd at -11. They play one more round tomorrow.

Rockets finished tied for 3rd in their last tourney at the Bank of Tennessee Invitational which was won by #11 ranked ETSU. Rockets finished ahead of several highly ranked teams in that one too, including #27 Loyola Marymount and #44 FGCU as well as 2 Big Ten squads and 1 ACC school.
10-15-2023 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

RE: UT Golf 2023-24
As for the women, the story is not as rosy.

They finished dead last against a very strong field in the Glass City Invitational at Inverness, missing out on 2nd-to-last by 24 strokes (Kent was 2nd-to-last, to give you an idea of the field.)

Then, against a very weak field at the Rocket Classic on Catawba Island, the Rockets won the tournament and EMU transfer Kyleigh Dull took the medalist honors. There were 2 other MAC squads in that tournament, Akron & Ohio, which are both ranked well below UT.
10-15-2023 06:41 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Rocket men come in 2nd at the MSU Quail Valley Collegiate, 1 stroke behind USF. Palmer Yenrick and Barend Botha both tied for medalist with a golfer from USF. Toledo finished 25 strokes ahead of Kent State and 29 strokes ahead of NIU who were the 1st and 3rd ranked MAC teams in the nation coming in, with Toledo the 2nd.

Let's hope the Rockets can continue to play like this in the spring.
10-16-2023 04:07 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

The good news, the Rocket Women are in 2nd place after day one of the MAC championships. The bad news is they are already 9 shots behind Kent.
04-21-2024 06:46 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Amazingly, the Rockets have cut the Kent State lead to 2 strokes after Round 2. UT actually took the lead twice during the round, before giving it back each time.

Kent has won every single MAC tournament since the 1st one in 1999 - most years by 20 or 30 or 50 strokes. The closest ever was in 2016 where UT came in 2nd by only 4 strokes. Would be the upset of the millennium if UT could pull off a win. Final round is Tuesday, with live coverage on ESPN+.
04-22-2024 06:55 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Well it was too good to be true. Kent wins again, beating UT by 11 shots. The Rockets' Amelia Lee named to the all-tournament team.
04-23-2024 05:32 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

After 2 rounds the Rocket men are in 3rd place, but 8 shots behind 1st place Ball State. UT's Barend Botha is in 1st at -11, 4 shots ahead of the next best player. Surprisingly Kent is currently in 5th.
04-27-2024 04:03 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Overall the Rockets had a pretty bad day on the last round of the men's championship and finish 5th.

But the good news is that Rocket Barend Botha won medalist for the 2nd straight year, and was named MAC golfer of the year. Reportedly the 1st player to win back-to-back championships in 34 years
04-28-2024 06:43 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Botha will play in the NCAA regional in West Lafayette, IN next week.

He was also named MAC male scholar athlete of the week.
05-01-2024 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.