Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does anyone actually like anything about NIU anymore?
Bookmark and Share
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Does anyone actually like anything about NIU anymore?
Sports teams are nearly all losers. Therefore hate the coaches too and obviously the AD.

No one goes to sporting events. Facilities outdated.

Off campus housing in spots has turned to crap, has sec 8.

Academics seem to fall year after year.

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

There’s no more Lukulos or Tom and Jerry’s.

Seriously, what does this school offer a student? An athlete? How do they supposedly attract an as or coaches? I mean tell me , seriously, if you didn’t attend NIU, what would attract you? Because nearly everyone on here went there and from the sounds of things week after week, day after day it’s failing your expectations.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2023 10:12 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
10-02-2023 10:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Does anyone actually like anything about NIU anymore?
(10-02-2023 10:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  Sports teams are nearly all losers. Therefore hate the coaches too and obviously the AD.

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

Seriously, what does this school offer a student? An athlete? How do they supposedly attract an as or coaches? I mean tell me , seriously, if you didn’t attend NIU, what would attract you? Because nearly everyone on here went there and from the sounds of things week after week, day after day it’s failing your expectations.

It is sad, Randy. We are in an era of bitching. I just wish folks would enjoy the games, relish in the effort, get excited about the good things. How many of the whiners play golf--and aren't very good but keep going back on the course cuz of a few good shots and the scenery? Stop taking everything as do or die. Just soak up the fun parts...if you cannot find fun parts in sports, I feel badly for you.
10-02-2023 10:48 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(10-02-2023 10:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  Sports teams are nearly all losers. Therefore hate the coaches too and obviously the AD.

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

Lukulos and T&J closing is the last straw. Next they will get rid of Cajun Fried Potato Salad at Fatty's
10-03-2023 07:32 AM
Big Red Online
All American

(10-02-2023 10:48 PM)huskies77 Wrote:  

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

It is sad, Randy. We are in an era of bitching. I just wish folks would enjoy the games, relish in the effort, get excited about the good things. How many of the whiners play golf--and aren't very good but keep going back on the course cuz of a few good shots and the scenery? Stop taking everything as do or die. Just soak up the fun parts...if you cannot find fun parts in sports, I feel badly for you.

This is acceptable?

Apparently, just be happy to be here and have an opportunity is a valid point now that so many other universities offer so much more. Why should I as a student or parent of a potential student want the best experience for me or my kid when they should just be happy to have an opportunity at a place that doesn't seem to try to entice them with anything.

The stuff about sports is valid. But what else is there to look forward to outside of school...and, tbh, what is NIU known for nowadays anyway from an academic standpoint? At one point I could have told you we had a top notch nursing program and a nationally recognized business school. Are either of those even true anymore?

But, outside of having 2nd tier academic programs. At least there is fun things to do like concerts and live events at the convocation center and on campus, right?

Right?

Oh...

Wait...do you like Pearl Jam? Well, you're in luck because the Ledbetters will be performing in the Convo on April 27 (not sure which year...maybe it was 2023...but maybe its 2024). While it's not Pearl Jam...they play all the same songs!!!!!

Maybe there are things going on at the Student Center. I recall back in my day seeing Primus and Fiona Apple in the Duke Ellington Ballroom. I think I also saw Jeff Dunham there too. I don't recall the theater in the Holmes Center but I recall seeing Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour. Same place I saw Larry "Uncle Lar" Reeb perform.

And obviously bigger musical acts at the Fieldhouse.

But we also used to see local bands at places like Otto's and Starbusters and a few other locales. I want to say a year or so after I graduated, my old roommate and I drove to town and just happened to stumble upon a Veruca Salt show at Otto's. But you could almost always catch a show by Mike and Joe or Mr. Blotto or a few other mainstays that toured through the college towns.

If they have acts like any of these scheduled to perform, I'm unaware of how to find it.

But yeah...quit b!tching. Just be happy they let you in.
10-03-2023 07:52 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Any complaints above fall squarely on the NIU President and AD. We need new, effective people in both roles as soon as possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023 07:55 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
10-03-2023 07:54 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

I think it just frustrates and saddens all of us alumni and fans to see the downfall. As alumni and fans, you want to be proud of, perhaps even brag about graduating from a school. To truthfully not even wanting your children to go that same university is another level of disappointment. Travel to other universities and be unbiased in your assessment, you will then know why many folks on the board are frustrated and saddened.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023 08:08 AM by JB04.)
10-03-2023 08:06 AM
Advertisement

thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Alright, you forced me to dig around, because, like most of you, I have become an old curmudgeon who longs for "the good ol days" when my rose colored glasses pooled together two decades of memories into my five plus year stint at NIU.

Positives:
- Take a look at downtown DeKalb and now its much more of a destination than when (most of us) went there. It looks like most of the night life is down there now. Sure Molly's and Fatty's are still around, and so is Lord Stanley's but bars like Hometown and La Calle have replaced the ol Amnesia and Starbusters (or Jungle for you real old codgers).
- Speaking of Dekalb, you are aware that DeKalb hosts a Meta Data Center? yeesh I wish that sort of global company was there when I was
- If you haven't been to NIU lately (I'm guessing you haven't) be sure to check out the HSC. The renovation of it is unbelievable.
- The student demographic is far different than when you or I went there. Today's students don't want what you or I wanted. NIU is delivering that far better than other schools. More college students are now working full time and as a suitcase school, NIU is better able to deliver that.
- NIU is still only two years removed from 3 MAC championships in three different sports.

"Off campus housing has turned into section 8" - yeah it did that like three decades ago. The Greek Row area is pretty bare these days, but its cleaned up. Its in a reboot. Be patient, or pony up some money and invest.

https://www.niu.edu/at-a-glance/ <----- current rankings and highlights
https://www.niu.edu/research-innovation/index.shtml <---- check out for a list of various research going on at NIU

yeah could things be better? sure. they always can be. Until we're a combination of Oxford and MIT academically and Alabama and USC athletically, things could be better. But until then, its our job as alumni to promote NIU and push it to be better at the same time. Is it the same NIU we had? no. should it be? good god no. I could do a whole other post on all the things that absolutely SUCKED at NIU when i was there.

also, to miss Lukulo's and Tom & Jerry's? yeesh. over priced food you can get from any Sysco food delivery truck. gimme fried potato salad, cheese nuggets from Pizza Pros and a pizza from Pizzavilla any day over T&Js or Lukes.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023 10:53 AM by thehappyhuskie.)
10-03-2023 10:53 AM
niu50yrdline Offline
Special Teams

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

You forgot to add that the scoreboard is on the fritz, and the band doesn't know when to play the correct songs anymore. On a positive note, they did add an alcohol stand outside my sections so there's that.
10-03-2023 11:25 AM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

This problem is not unique to NIU. Interesting article on falling enrollment at state flagship schools, including WVU.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/busi...tay-afloat

Schools have to adapt and position themselves for today's environment. Has anyone from the university reached out to Meta to establish internships for NIU students? The new CEO of Life Fitness, the gym equipment company, is an NIU grad.

NIU needs to focus and it seems like business, finance, and other disciplines are where to start. Nursing, meteorology are disciplines that are instant marketable after graduation. Many liberal arts programs need to go. Art History and Medieval French Poetry are niche topics better left to small private colleges.

Like others have said, distance learning is big, especially with graduate programs. Most people in graduate programs are working and can't go get a campus apartment for 2 years. This is 2023. not 1985.
The fact that Illinois is losing population, like West Virginia, doesn't help, but NIU needs to leverage it's proximity to Chicago as it's lifeline. Partnering with businesses, governments, schools and other entities to provide a network and future job opportunist for graduates is a good sell.

And DeKalb needs to address the Section 8 housing, which was brought to DeKalb by Eddie Williams 10 years ago. It has no place being that close to a college campus.

Now that I'm retired and have reached out to NIU to volunteer and perhaps be on some advisory boards, but have not heard back.
10-03-2023 11:42 AM
Big Red Online
All American

I guess I still don't get why people keep mentioning the Meta/Facebook server as some sort of major benefit to NIU let alone something that enhances student life on campus.

Meta might not even know or care that a state university is in town. Could they provide internships? Sure. How many? I don't know. Probably not many. It's a server. I think I saw that it would provide around 200 operational jobs. Not all of those jobs are tech as there is a lot of building maintenance, custodial and grounds maintenance jobs that fill out those 200.

Anyway, I don't really want to rehash this but I think many here greatly over-estimated the impact the Meta facility would have on NIU and especially student life. Meta has 10 of these in the country with plans (reported) to have 21. They aren't attached to any of the locations for any other reason than the location having a giant plot of land to build on and a bunch of tax breaks to offer.

Being in a college town is irrelevant.
10-03-2023 12:52 PM
The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

You can also add when the Grotto closed! That was the beginning of the downward spiral!
10-03-2023 06:36 PM
Advertisement

The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

(10-03-2023 07:54 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Any complaints above fall squarely on the NIU President and AD. We need new, effective people in both roles as soon as possible.

Agree 100%
10-03-2023 06:37 PM
niu1980 Offline
2nd String

Enrollment down.

Money is down.

To answer your question, yes. I know it’s easier to complain and do nothing to try and improve things but that’s not me.
10-03-2023 06:42 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

The NIU that I attended and the university as it stands today are vastly different places. I wouldn't send my kids to NIU and we moved out of Illinois a few years ago. Best of luck to the university but the football team as well as good friends and/or networking contacts are the only connections I have left.

PS..I also miss Fatty's
10-03-2023 07:02 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I grew up in sycamore, went to NIU, moved to North Carolina, then to River North, then to Cincinnati, and I bought a house in DeKalb last November.

It seems exactly the same as it ever has haha. It’s DeKalb, it’s not the most glamorous place in the world but i also don’t see it as significantly worse than it was 10-15 years ago when I was a student. Enrollment is down but that’s pretty true most places. Do you think Carbondale or Macomb or Charleston are beautiful, booming towns either?

Also if you don’t think jobs coming to DeKalb is good for NIU that seems silly. What’s good for dekalb is good for NIU and vice versa for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023 07:10 PM by 7.)
10-03-2023 07:06 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(10-03-2023 11:42 AM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  This problem is not unique to NIU. Interesting article on falling enrollment at state flagship schools, including WVU.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/busi...tay-afloat

Schools have to adapt and position themselves for today's environment. Has anyone from the university reached out to Meta to establish internships for NIU students? The new CEO of Life Fitness, the gym equipment company, is an NIU grad.

NIU needs to focus and it seems like business, finance, and other disciplines are where to start. Nursing, meteorology are disciplines that are instant marketable after graduation. Many liberal arts programs need to go. Art History and Medieval French Poetry are niche topics better left to small private colleges.

Like others have said, distance learning is big, especially with graduate programs. Most people in graduate programs are working and can't go get a campus apartment for 2 years. This is 2023. not 1985.
The fact that Illinois is losing population, like West Virginia, doesn't help, but NIU needs to leverage it's proximity to Chicago as it's lifeline. Partnering with businesses, governments, schools and other entities to provide a network and future job opportunist for graduates is a good sell.

And DeKalb needs to address the Section 8 housing, which was brought to DeKalb by Eddie Williams 10 years ago. It has no place being that close to a college campus.

Now that I'm retired and have reached out to NIU to volunteer and perhaps be on some advisory boards, but have not heard back.

Illinois didn’t lose population. Rural Illinois might have, but the state as a whole did not.
10-03-2023 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
Illinois Population

I know this won’t convince the Fox News, blue states are crumbling crowd, but it’s here for your reference.
10-03-2023 08:20 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
I’m lonesome for Du Quoin.
10-03-2023 09:15 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2023 08:20 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Illinois Population

I know this won’t convince the Fox News, blue states are crumbling crowd, but it’s here for your reference.

It really depends on the benchmark you’re using. Illinois has almost the exact same population today as it had in 2000. But in that same time the US population has grown by almost 18%
10-03-2023 09:48 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(10-03-2023 08:20 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Illinois Population

Maybe you watch PMSNBC but look at the numbers https://www.illinoispolicy.org/91-of-102...n-in-2022/
10-03-2023 11:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.