Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Live sports are headed to (HBO) Max
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
Live sports are headed to (HBO) Max
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/19/live-spo...tform.html

"Live sports are headed to Max, as Warner Bros. Discovery adds a new tier to streaming app"

Quote:
  • Live sports is coming to Warner Bros. Discovery's streaming service app Max beginning Oct. 5.
  • The tier, called the Bleacher Report Sports Add-On, will simulcast live sports events including for the MLB, NHL, NBA and NCAA March Madness, among others.
  • Max subscribers will receive the tier for free through Feb. 29, and then it will cost an additional $9.99 a month.
09-19-2023 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Live sports are headed to (HBO) Max
AEW's PPV would be on there.
09-19-2023 05:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Big events upcoming on WBD

October: MLB Playoffs
November: USMNT Copa America Qualifiers

That's all I see outside of their NBA and NHL GOTW
09-19-2023 06:51 PM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
Glad the industry is finally going this way, even though it comes at a cost of losing my free HBO & Max that I had for the last 6 years.

It would definitely save money since one should only subscribe during playoffs and March Madness times. So that's October, March, and May-June for NBA/NHL. $80 over 12 months isn't bad.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2023 08:01 AM by Scoochpooch1.)
09-20-2023 07:16 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
From Skyhawk's quote only simulcasts and it seems like only events from TNT's/TBS's lineup so anyone with subscriptions to those stations likely won't need it. On the other hand, it's one step closer to completely cutting cable off completely. Once ESPN goes direct to consumer and the RSN's go bankrupt (or the local sports teams either give their rights back to local stations or to streamers), cable TV will officially dead.
09-20-2023 07:22 AM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

(09-20-2023 07:22 AM)schmolik Wrote:  From Skyhawk's quote only simulcasts and it seems like only events from TNT's/TBS's lineup so anyone with subscriptions to those stations likely won't need it. On the other hand, it's one step closer to completely cutting cable off completely. Once ESPN goes direct to consumer and the RSN's go bankrupt (or the local sports teams either give their rights back to local stations or to streamers), cable TV will officially dead.

At least as far as sports is concerned, I'd agree.

I think the biggest draws on cable besides sports, are probably news/news entertainment, reality/docu-drama/documentary, and re-runs of tv shows or films.

So I don't think cable will go away, but I think the high-cost channels are likely to find new homes (or to be sectioned off to a more expensive tier), as we watch cable become more like Pluto, etc.
09-20-2023 07:34 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(09-19-2023 05:03 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  AEW's PPV would be on there.

It's being reported that they won't be included.
09-20-2023 07:38 AM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
So will HBO show commercials on its simulcasts?
09-20-2023 07:41 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(09-20-2023 07:34 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(09-20-2023 07:22 AM)schmolik Wrote:  From Skyhawk's quote only simulcasts and it seems like only events from TNT's/TBS's lineup so anyone with subscriptions to those stations likely won't need it. On the other hand, it's one step closer to completely cutting cable off completely. Once ESPN goes direct to consumer and the RSN's go bankrupt (or the local sports teams either give their rights back to local stations or to streamers), cable TV will officially dead.

I think the biggest draws on cable besides sports, are probably news/news entertainment, reality/docu-drama/documentary, and re-runs of tv shows or films.

So I don't think cable will go away, but I think the high-cost channels are likely to find new homes (or to be sectioned off to a more expensive tier), as we watch cable become more like Pluto, etc.

HBO Max already has the rights to Friends and The Big Bang Theory among others. Hulu has rights to other shows. Several rerun shows still are available on OTA stations. It won't be long until reruns aren't a reason to get cable. Think of the top cable stations right now, most of them have ties to streaming services. Turner is tied to HBO. Disney is tied to Hulu and Disney +. They can see the writing on the wall. Once consumers realize they don't have to pay the cable companies anymore, the media companies will do whatever they can to get services direct to consumers.
09-20-2023 07:58 AM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(09-20-2023 07:58 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(09-20-2023 07:34 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  

HBO Max already has the rights to Friends and The Big Bang Theory among others. Hulu has rights to other shows. Several rerun shows still are available on OTA stations. It won't be long until reruns aren't a reason to get cable. Think of the top cable stations right now, most of them have ties to streaming services. Turner is tied to HBO. Disney is tied to Hulu and Disney +. They can see the writing on the wall. Once consumers realize they don't have to pay the cable companies anymore, the media companies will do whatever they can to get services direct to consumers.

People don't do just one thing.

Otherwise, things like Pluto or Plex wouldn't exist. Cable'll find its niche.
09-20-2023 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.