Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn as a football only in the ACC?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
UConn as a football only in the ACC?
This would provide a foot in the door for getting into the ACC and balance football for scheduling.

Perhaps they could work a Notre Dame style scheduling arrangement in basketball (both) with the ACC to entice such a move.
09-02-2023 12:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Utgrizfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah, Army, Montana
RE: UConn as a football only in the ACC?
Would come down to if they'd generate more $$ for the Conference and the ACC network.
09-02-2023 12:47 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
It would mess up basketball (back to an odd number) but

Basketball is messed up now.
If you're not willing to mess up basketball for the current national champions in men's basketball and the most successful women's basketball coach in history, who are you going to mess up basketball for?
You can always unmess up basketball by adding a non football member like Villanova to even up non football membership.

Edit: I forgot to see "Football Only". I don't know how UConn would react to that. On one hand, the Big East is a strong enough conference for men's basketball (the ACC is a clear upgrade in women's basketball). The ACC would be dumb to not want basketball as well though, the only reason they would accept UConn's football is to get basketball as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2023 07:39 AM by schmolik.)
09-02-2023 05:34 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I’m a proponent of UConn to the ACC as a full member.
09-02-2023 06:58 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Why would the ACC want a below average FB program with no recruiting grounds as a “FB only”?
09-02-2023 08:59 AM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
You don't need an even number for football scheduling. No one cares about a schedule matrix and pods anymore.

No one is going to even notice if some ACC members play each other 5 times in 8 years and others play each other 2 in 8 years.
09-02-2023 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
(09-02-2023 08:59 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Why would the ACC want a below average FB program with no recruiting grounds as a “FB only”?

UConn is a big commodity for basketball. Besides that, they fill in the NE part of the ACC giving SU and BC natural rivals and open up a new state for full monetary value of ACC carriage. Now that the ACC has finally embraced unequal revenue sharing, a new world of possibilities open up for expansion.

With all of that said, UConn is doing well in the BigEast and making noticeable improvements in football as an Independent. Perhaps they have the magic formula for success already.
09-02-2023 11:22 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(09-02-2023 11:06 AM)JSchmack Wrote:  You don't need an even number for football scheduling. No one cares about a schedule matrix and pods anymore.

No one is going to even notice if some ACC members play each other 5 times in 8 years and others play each other 2 in 8 years.

You need an even number if you want to play 9 conference games. If SEC does move to that, I’m sure the pressure will be there on the ACC to do so as well. But until then, an odd number is fine.
09-02-2023 11:22 AM
Jericho Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Not sure what logic leads to bringing in UConn without bringing in the one sport its really good at (basketball), particularly for a league that prides itself on good basketball.
09-02-2023 11:54 AM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
UConn screwed themselves by building a off campus stadium 30 min away. Yes CT is a small state with short drives but its not the south where people drive hours and hours to games in their RVs to tailgate. Totally different culture which is why they dont belong in any southern based conference. I havent been to any UConn football games but Im assuming the student attendance and atmosphere is terrible.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2023 12:05 PM by darkdragon99.)
09-02-2023 12:03 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
SMU is a school/program in a huge recruiting/TV market (Dallas). It has elite academics. It has huge, huge donor support. And it is a football-first athletic department.

UConn can't say any of those; and SMU just set the bar by forgoing TV revenues for a whopping nine years. UConn, financially, can't agree to that responsibly.

UConn will get added once defections occur, likely in the form of FSU, Clemson and Miami.
09-02-2023 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
It makes no sense. Basketball is what has value from UConn, not football.
09-02-2023 01:43 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Why would the ACC want UConn for its, arguably, least successful sport?
09-02-2023 01:50 PM
tf8693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame
They're more likely to get an invite (for all sports, not football only) when it becomes necessary for the ACC to backfill.
09-02-2023 01:51 PM
mike012779 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(09-02-2023 01:33 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  SMU is a school/program in a huge recruiting/TV market (Dallas). It has elite academics. It has huge, huge donor support. And it is a football-first athletic department.

UConn can't say any of those; and SMU just set the bar by forgoing TV revenues for a whopping nine years. UConn, financially, can't agree to that responsibly.

UConn will get added once defections occur, likely in the form of FSU, Clemson and Miami.

If SMU can claim Dallas why can't uconn claim NY? Half of the state is in the NY tv market. The other half is ranked 36 tv market. Or reality doesn't matter?
09-02-2023 02:48 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(09-02-2023 02:48 PM)mike012779 Wrote:  
(09-02-2023 01:33 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  SMU is a school/program in a huge recruiting/TV market (Dallas). It has elite academics. It has huge, huge donor support. And it is a football-first athletic department.

If SMU can claim Dallas why can't uconn claim NY? Half of the state is in the NY tv market. The other half is ranked 36 tv market. Or reality doesn't matter?

You can but that doesn't change the fact that SMU can recruit DFW exclusively & put a competitive team on the field
09-02-2023 03:04 PM
Advertisement

PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(09-02-2023 03:04 PM)mj4life Wrote:  

You can but that doesn't change the fact that SMU can recruit DFW exclusively & put a competitive team on the field

In the future, in the ACC? That is yet to be seen.05-stirthepot
09-02-2023 03:26 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE

One market cares about college football. One does not.
09-02-2023 03:27 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The ACC doesn’t need another school to “even out”. They have 18 for basketball and there’s no problem with scheduling an odd number of schools an 8-game conference schedule. In fact, with 17+ND, they could easily start scheduling ND against one of the 5 ACC games during rivalry week.
09-02-2023 03:58 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
The MAC doesn't even want Uconn football only.
09-02-2023 05:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.