Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCSU's "flip": How does this affect them going forward?
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
NCSU's "flip": How does this affect them going forward?
Obviously, they flipped because it was in their best interests to do so, at least in the short run. My question is this: How will this decision affect them in the long run?

-Does UNC leave them behind, should they be invited to the P2?
-How will this affect their relationship with UNC in the short term? What about their relationship with Clemson and FSU?
-Do they suffer any ramifications at all?

My hunch is that they don't suffer at all in the long run and that UNC gets over it, along with Clemson and FSU. What do y'all think?
09-01-2023 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
RE: NCSU's "flip": How does this affect them going forward?
If UNC has an invite to the B1G or SEC in the future, I think any chance of them putting in a good word for the Wolfpack has gone out the window. I think that's about it.
09-01-2023 04:18 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
Their future hinges on interest from the SEC/B1G. That’s all.
09-01-2023 04:19 PM
Utgrizfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah, Army, Montana
(09-01-2023 04:18 PM)Schema Wrote:  If UNC has an invite to the B1G or SEC in the future, I think any chance of them putting in a good word for the Wolfpack has gone out the window. I think that's about it.

Chances are UNC would have screwed them over anyways, UNC gets offered Big10 $$ they would be gone despite any promises they made. Wolfpack got to give the screws to them for a change before it was done to them, good for NCSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2023 03:23 PM by Utgrizfan.)
09-01-2023 04:21 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
You have to wonder how much of that was Smoke and Mirrors trying to get the best deal yet act defiant for show. You really have to think hard before leaving a Conference you basically built. But that’s the times we live in
09-01-2023 04:26 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

NCSU will now have the opportunity to earn more money. Whether they do or not is up to them.

I am of the opinion that if UNC want to leave the ACC they will encounter serious from the legislature and the BOG. So my bet is that although they might be upset with their brothers in Raleigh, UNC won't be able to do squat.

FSU and Clemson on the other hand...
09-01-2023 04:35 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO the notion that UNC and NCST are "joined at the hip" has suffered a fatal blow.

We'll see.
09-01-2023 04:38 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Changes nothing. FSU is the still the focus.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 04:46 PM by Stugray2.)
09-01-2023 04:43 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-01-2023 04:09 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Obviously, they flipped because it was in their best interests to do so, at least in the short run. My question is this: How will this decision affect them in the long run?

-Does UNC leave them behind, should they be invited to the P2?
-How will this affect their relationship with UNC in the short term? What about their relationship with Clemson and FSU?
-Do they suffer any ramifications at all?

My hunch is that they don't suffer at all in the long run and that UNC gets over it, along with Clemson and FSU. What do y'all think?

Honestly---any ACC school other than Florida St and Clemson probably needs to maintain an interest in the long term fate of the ACC. Those are the only two I consider almost absolute locks for the P2 going forward. Everyone else could potentially find themselves still in the ACC when the GOR expires and the P2 take who they want.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 05:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-01-2023 05:04 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
(09-01-2023 04:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO the notion that UNC and NCST are "joined at the hip" has suffered a fatal blow.

We'll see.

I think the NOTION has, but I think that notion was a false assumption the entire time.
09-01-2023 05:10 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
No impact at all. UNC would never willingly tie itself with NCSU. NCSU thoughts are like Patton, they rather have Germans in front of them instead of the French behind them,
09-01-2023 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
I think NC State realized that UNC isn't going to be able to get them into the SEC or B1G, and that UNC's obvious SEC leanings probably mean their long-term fate lies in the ACC or Big XII. I'm still hoping UNC goes B1G and the SEC gets NC State, but I doubt that happens. So either way the vote makes sense for them - strengthen the ACC with more numbers, or make the Big XII a better place to be down the road by yoking Stanford & Cal to the ACC Ivory Tower snobs in the ACC while you leave for an actual football conference in the Big XII.
09-01-2023 06:00 PM
Charlie Broadway Offline
2nd String

I remember reading rumors a few weeks ago about NC State talking to the Big 12. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I guess you never know.
09-01-2023 06:10 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(09-01-2023 06:10 PM)Charlie Broadway Wrote:  I remember reading rumors a few weeks ago about NC State talking to the Big 12. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I guess you never know.

I'm willing to bet that all of the non-P2 teams are talking with each other nowadays because of the uncertainty.

Frankly, everyone outside of possibly the MAC has reason to be worried... and even they may have concerns.

The B12 should be in good shape going forward but again, the ACC is going to come calling regardless of what Clemson and FSU wind up doing. I think that the 4Cs, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State could all be potential targets.

What does the B12 do? Do they try to add western programs to shore up that flank or do they seek to make a preemptive push east by going after UConn and some AAC programs? You have to admit that they have a lot of territory to defend.

I'm starting to realize that this madness is not going to be over for a long while to come, if ever.
09-01-2023 06:30 PM
Charlie Broadway Offline
2nd String

(09-01-2023 06:30 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 06:10 PM)Charlie Broadway Wrote:  I remember reading rumors a few weeks ago about NC State talking to the Big 12. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I guess you never know.

I'm willing to bet that all of the non-P2 teams are talking with each other nowadays because of the uncertainty.

Frankly, everyone outside of possibly the MAC has reason to be worried... and even they may have concerns.

The B12 should be in good shape going forward but again, the ACC is going to come calling regardless of what Clemson and FSU wind up doing. I think that the 4Cs, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State could all be potential targets.

What does the B12 do? Do they try to add western programs to shore up that flank or do they seek to make a preemptive push east by going after UConn and some AAC programs? You have to admit that they have a lot of territory to defend.

I'm starting to realize that this madness is not going to be over for a long while to come, if ever.

I’m definitely a Big 12 fan that doesn’t want to see the B1G and SEC demolish the ACC like many are predicting. I think the Big 12 and ACC both have good G5 options to look at if schools are lost. As you mentioned, the Big 12 has the option to go west or east if it loses schools.

I just have a hard time envisioning the ACC poaching Big 12 schools by only offering partial shares. If ESPN is willing to fund full shares then things get much more interesting.
09-01-2023 07:16 PM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(09-01-2023 04:26 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  You have to wonder how much of that was Smoke and Mirrors trying to get the best deal yet act defiant for show. You really have to think hard before leaving a Conference you basically built. But that’s the times we live in

A&M, Nebraska, CU, Missouri, then OUT all left the Big 12, and we definitely built that. Cal, Washington and Oregon were 3 of the 4 founding Pac members in 1915, yet they bailed, too. It's not that weird to contemplate that UNC's Conference isn't a big-enough pond anymore.
09-01-2023 07:20 PM
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
NCSU is safe in one of the 3 conferences if the ACC gets picked apart by the B1G and SEC. They have a shot at 20 team SEC especially if the B1G takes 2 ACC and the SEC matches w/ 20. If not Pitt, Louisville, NCSU, VT are locks for B12
09-01-2023 07:22 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-01-2023 07:22 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  NCSU is safe in one of the 3 conferences if the ACC gets picked apart by the B1G and SEC. They have a shot at 20 team SEC especially if the B1G takes 2 ACC and the SEC matches w/ 20. If not Pitt, Louisville, NCSU, VT are locks for B12

Agree with your assessment. Look for the next big realignment to be for 2032 season. Have the CFP due a six year deal, so 2030 will start the next round of announcements.
09-01-2023 07:30 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
It has no effect on them whatsoever.
09-01-2023 08:18 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(09-01-2023 08:18 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  It has no effect on them whatsoever.

They need to start a full-force effort to separate their governance from UNC's. Obvious conflicts of interest now to have UNC people on their board.

Like Kansas and others, they should have separate advisory boards at each school, and then an independent state-wide Board of Regents that oversees all state-funded higher-ed institutions. The state's BoR without one-school bias, as much as possible.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2023 12:28 PM by PlayBall!.)
09-02-2023 08:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.