Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The next dominoes (September 1 edition)
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
The next dominoes (September 1 edition)
Whoa. Conference realignment is running down the tracks at a 1,000 miles per hour.

With the additions of SMU, Cal, and Stanford, the ACC (and the rest of the P4) are now done.

That leaves the remaining dominoes:

First up are OSU and WSU. Though Oregon State would like to rebuild the Pac-12 in its own image, I do not see that happening. What I do see happening is the MW schools and OSU and WSU merging under the Pac-12 name. These schools then invite Gonzaga to get to a 14/14 football/basketball split. The MW is officially dead.

With the departure of SMU, the American looks to add a 14th member for inventory purposes. Ultimately, the league adds Texas State to bolster its presence in Texas.

The Sun Belt is now down to 13 schools. The league decides WKU is the best fit and invites the Hilltoppers.

Down to 9 members, CUSA looks to expand again. EKU checks the most boxes and no longer needs to deal with politics associated with WKU.

Out west, the WCC is down to 8 schools. Cue Grand Canyon and Seattle. These additions get the league back to 10 members.

This leaves Division 1 with 362 schools, 31 conferences, 134 FBS schools, and 128 FCS schools as of 7/1/25.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 02:33 PM by shizzle787.)
09-01-2023 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: The next dominoes (September 1 edition)
You missed about five domino threads prior to these most recent moves, so hopefully you finally get this one right.

I don’t think WKU will get back into the SBC though with the new GoR. Mizzou State…
09-01-2023 02:38 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
OSU, WSU merge w/ the MWC
AAC adds Georgia St.
SBC adds MTSU
CUSA adds SFA
WAC adds Angelo St.

CUSA GOR aint worth much.

Maybe CUSA goes to 12 soon after w/ UCA, APSU or Tarleton St.
09-01-2023 02:44 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
If the MWC really wants to strike while it's hot they should go to 18.

Invite Gonzaga
Invite Rice, UNT, and UTSA
Invite Navy (FB) and Wichita State (Oly)

Navy liked being in the AAC-West due to playing teams in Texas. If the MWC were homes of the Texas teams, Air Force, and San Diego's 32nd Street Naval Station, you'd think that'd be all big percs for a Naval Academy add.
09-01-2023 02:48 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(09-01-2023 02:38 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  You missed about five domino threads prior to these most recent moves, so hopefully you finally get this one right.

I don’t think WKU will get back into the SBC though with the new GoR. Mizzou State…

To be fair, several Pac-12 presidents made moves that only hours before they didn't know they would be forced to make.
09-01-2023 02:53 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(09-01-2023 02:32 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Whoa. Conference realignment is running down the tracks at a 1,000 miles per hour.

With the additions of SMU, Cal, and Stanford, the ACC (and the rest of the P4) are now done.

First up are OSU and WSU. Though Oregon State would like to rebuild the Pac-12 in its own image, I do not see that happening. What I do see happening is the MW schools and OSU and WSU merging under the Pac-12 name. These schools then invite Gonzaga to get to a 14/14 football/basketball split. The MW is officially dead.

With the departure of SMU, the American looks to add a 14th member for inventory purposes. Ultimately, the league adds Texas State to bolster its presence in Texas.

The Sun Belt is now down to 13 schools. The league decides WKU is the best fit and invites the Hilltoppers.

Down to 9 members, CUSA looks to expand again. EKU checks the most boxes and no longer needs to deal with politics associated with WKU.

Out west, the WCC is down to 8 schools. Cue Grand Canyon and Seattle. These additions get the league back to 10 members.

This leaves Division 1 with 362 schools, 31 conferences, 134 FBS schools, and 128 FCS schools as of 7/1/25.

I wonder if the AAC would entertain the possibility of adding FIU to even things out in Florida and Texas.
09-01-2023 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Texas State's athletic budget is about 60% the level of AAC schools. Football is 75% AAC levels, but basketball (both men's and women's) is funded at barely 50% of AAC levels. They are a non-starter, whether looking at athletics, institutional fit or travel partner.

Army (football only invite, who will again decline), Liberty (who has no chance passing the presidents' committee due to institutional issues) are the only two G5 that meet AAC requirements. If you stretch the definition four more hit the radar: UMass, Old Dominion, James Madison and Middle Tennessee. I have to think UMass is the most likely among those four for a variety of reasons, but all four likely rank just below the "stand at 13 for now" option.

Keep in mind, that for basketball the school without a travel partner is Temple, and the Northeast and NYC markets are the largest glaring holes, although Virginia could use some filling in as well.

Travel Partner Pairings and logical rivals with 13: Tulsa & Wichita State (old MVC foes), North Texas & UTSA (continuation from CUSA), Rice & Tulane (nearby Eggheads); Memphis & UAB (old Metro foes), South Florida & FAU (well it is Florida, Tampa vs Miam), Charlotte & ECU (well it is North Carolina urban vs rural) .... and Temple.

Temple vs UMass would work, reviving a dormant A-10 matchup. But Philly is also not far from Virginia, so an ODU could work.
09-01-2023 03:01 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
PAC adds MWC. AAC adds WKU. CUSA adds EKU.

PAC
Mountain: Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah St, Wyoming
Pacific: Fresno St, Hawaii*, Oregon St, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Washington St
* Football-Only

AAC
East: Charlotte, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, South Florida, Temple, UAB, Western Kentucky
West: Memphis, Navy*, North Texas, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UTSA
* Football-Only
^ Non-Football: Wichita St

CUSA
Eastern Kentucky, Florida International, Jacksonville St, Kennesaw St, Liberty, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee St, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St, UTEP
09-01-2023 03:04 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The merged Pac 12/Mountain West (Pac 14) drops men's soccer as Sacramento State chooses to stay in the Big West. San Diego State and San Jose State join the Big West. Oregon State joins the WAC, which already has fellow Pac 14ers Air Force and UNLV.

America East adds James Madison and Queens for field hockey to replace Stanford and California. Lindenwood joins the MAC as a field hockey affiliate.
09-01-2023 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
I don’t think the AAC backfills. ESPN is not going to pay a replacement team at the SMU level. Unless the contract doesn’t stipulate another renegotiation in which case the American keeps SMU’s pay but ‘has’ to expand to maintain inventory levels.

The Pac assets may be worth more (though they also have greater liabilities), but the MW name may be better at this present time. To the fan it looks like the Mountain West expands by 2 (3? with Gonzaga) but on paper the Pac takes the MW teams and name. Is Gloria confident a TV deal in the bush would be worth more than the one in hand?
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 03:11 PM by Crayton.)
09-01-2023 03:10 PM
surrealpirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(09-01-2023 02:58 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 02:32 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Whoa. Conference realignment is running down the tracks at a 1,000 miles per hour.

I wonder if the AAC would entertain the possibility of adding FIU to even things out in Florida and Texas.

NOOOOOOOOOOO
09-01-2023 03:12 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Well where we are at in 2024 at this moment

Big 10+-18
Big 12+-16
SEC-16
ACC-17 + 1 partial
Pac 12-2
70 P5 schools
MWC -12
CUSA-10
AAC-13
SB-14
MAC-12
61 G5 schools
UConn, UMass, Army-3 independents

134 total
09-01-2023 03:17 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(09-01-2023 03:12 PM)surrealpirate Wrote:  

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not?
09-01-2023 03:18 PM
surrealpirate Offline
2nd String

(09-01-2023 03:18 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not?

FIU's athletic department is a mess. If they ever get their act together AND we lose one of our existing FL members, then maybe. But for now we definitely don't need 3 in FL, especially when that 3rd would be FIU.
09-01-2023 03:23 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(09-01-2023 03:23 PM)surrealpirate Wrote:  

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not?

FIU's athletic department is a mess. If they ever get their act together AND we lose one of our existing FL members, then maybe. But for now we definitely don't need 3 in FL, especially when that 3rd would be FIU.

I knew they were a mess. I just didn't know how bad a mess they were in. I just can't see the AAC taking Texas State. They haven't really done anything to move up, but neither has FIU, for a while now anyway.
09-01-2023 03:38 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(09-01-2023 03:38 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 02:58 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  I wonder if the AAC would entertain the possibility of adding FIU to even things out in Florida and Texas.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not?

I knew they were a mess. I just didn't know how bad a mess they were in. I just can't see the AAC taking Texas State. They haven't really done anything to move up, but neither has FIU, for a while now anyway.

I also don't see the SBC taking back either MTSU or WKU. They'd rather expand with Missouri State, or maybe Eastern Kentucky.
09-01-2023 03:39 PM
Advertisement

surrealpirate Offline
2nd String

(09-01-2023 03:39 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 03:38 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 03:12 PM)surrealpirate Wrote:  NOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not?

I also don't see the SBC taking back either MTSU or WKU. They'd rather expand with Missouri State, or maybe Eastern Kentucky.

I could maybe see us taking Georgia State if Army says no, but it's not clear whether there's mutual interest at this point, and I don't know if we want to take on another project based on potential. That type of school, like Texas State, might be our only option.
09-01-2023 03:42 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Hate to sound like a broken record, but ESPN already has Sun Belt schools at $500K per year. They're not going to add anyone from there just to pay them 14 times the amount for content they already own. Any AAC adds will either be Army or come from C-USA.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 03:52 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-01-2023 03:51 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
(09-01-2023 02:32 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Out west, the WCC is down to 8 schools. Cue Grand Canyon and Seattle. These additions get the league back to 10 members.

You're working under the false presumption that the WCC WANTS 10 members.

They don't. They went to 10 solely because BYU fell into their lap and Pacific (who'd been calling them and begging for decades) facilitated a better configuration for the league with BYU.

BYU brought the WCC:
- a "second Saint Mary's" in men's basketball.
- a "second Gonzaga" in women's basketball.
- a Top 20 volleyball team.
- a SECOND national TV deal's worth of exposure on BYUtv

The WCC can't FIT 18 conference games between their ESPN timeslots at Christmas (spot in Hawaii tournament) and WCC Tournament; which is one reason they dropped to 16 games despite having 10 schools.

Grand Canyon brings an academic reputation WCC presidents want no part of; They're not a candidate. Seattle's size and facilities leave a lot to be desired (and you don't placate Gonzaga by saying the word "Seattle" out loud. Even if Gonzaga leaves the WCC isn't inviting Seattle for a while. Because sometimes things don't pan out -- like SDSU/Boise to the Big East or SDSU to the Pac-12, so you leave the spot warm for them).

Any WCC expansion talk would have Cal Baptist as the #1 candidate. But standing pat is the most likely scenario; being slow and methodical on expectations for CBU and Seattle (like the way they were with Pacific) will be the play.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 03:58 PM by JSchmack.)
09-01-2023 03:56 PM
joeben69 Offline
1st String

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd

LIKE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PAC Rebuild/Merger/Expansion...
>OSU & WSU merge with MWC
>>PAC name
>>MWC admin
>>nPAC gets to 13/14 membership...
>>nPAC follow BE/AAC storyline regarding details, continuity, and history...

>nPAC potentially invites Gonzaga to get to a 14/14 membership...
>>depends if Gonzaga is:
>>>interested...
>>>trying to leverage WCC again...
>>>still looking elsewhere plausible to go...

AAC loses SMU...adds 1 to get back to 14...
> invites:
>>TXST (SBC)
>>>SMU TX replacement
>>GAST (SBC)
>>>Fits expansion profile - Metropolitan/Market/Large student population
>>FIU (CUSA)
>>>Same as GAST

IF SBC loses 1 school THEN SBC adds 1 school to get back to 14...
>WILL NOT INVITE former SBC schools...
>invites Mizzou St (MVC/MVFC)

IF CUSA loses 1 school THEN CUSA adds 1 school to get back to 10...
>adds from UAC schools...
>invites Tarleton/SFA (UAC)

WCC adds 1 school to get back to 10...
>adds from WAC schools...
>IF Gonzaga still in WCC THEN WCC invites Cal Baptist/GCU (WAC)...
>IF Gonzaga not in WCC THEN WCC invites Cal Baptist/GCU/Seattle (WAC)...
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 04:11 PM by joeben69.)
09-01-2023 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.