Open TigerLinks

Mikey news?
Bookmark and Share
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Mikey news?
Interesting article in the Daily Memphian. Probably have to be a subscriber to read it all, but, heyt, support local journalism...link

To those who can't access...here is the meat of the article.

"Over the weekend, Williams posted on his Instagram account— which has now been deactivated — a photo of himself pointing a finger gun at the head of a statue of Homer Simpson dressed in a police uniform. The caption read: “I really don’t care. At all.”

If Williams doesn’t care, at all, about his image, even as his own freedom is in jeopardy, do we really think he’s going to care about doing what’s best for a Tiger team that aspires to make a championship run next season?

Does Williams strike you as someone willing to sacrifice quietly if Hardaway asks him to take a lesser role? Or someone who’s going to take to his millions of followers on Instagram to complain at the first sign of adversity?

If Williams really doesn’t care, at all, why should Hardaway?"

What do you all think?
09-01-2023 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Mikey news?
(09-01-2023 07:18 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Interesting article in the Daily Memphian. Probably have to be a subscriber to read it all, but, heyt, support local journalism...link

"Over the weekend, Williams posted on his Instagram account— which has now been deactivated — a photo of himself pointing a finger gun at the head of a statue of Homer Simpson dressed in a police uniform. The caption read: “I really don’t care. At all.”

If Williams doesn’t care, at all, about his image, even as his own freedom is in jeopardy, do we really think he’s going to care about doing what’s best for a Tiger team that aspires to make a championship run next season?

Does Williams strike you as someone willing to sacrifice quietly if Hardaway asks him to take a lesser role? Or someone who’s going to take to his millions of followers on Instagram to complain at the first sign of adversity?

What do you all think?

Penny is not one to just hit the delete button on a kid and I admire his commitment to supporting kids/young men who took the wrong road. He has had a lot of success getting his players on track.

Mikey is not helping hisself. Most likely the judge will take the ball off the the court when he has his hearing on the 5th. His five counts are serious and the circumstances as far as we’ve heard do not favor probation and go on with your life… but it is California.

I don’t think there is playing time to bring him in this year. I don’t think he would respond well with being the guy at the end of bench. I think he would be a distraction and every broadcast would come with telling his story and be a neg mark on our program.

But if the judge lets him come and Penny still wants him to be here and if the admin approves him I will support the decision and no negative comments will come from my side. Wish him well and hope he gets a more clear picture for how to rebuild his life and basketball career.
09-01-2023 07:54 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Toxic. Don't want this guy in the locker room. Mickey is making it too easy for Penny but I still think Penny will let the whole thing play out before he cuts ties.
09-01-2023 09:44 AM
Alcalde2 Online
1st String

I Root For: Mem
(09-01-2023 07:18 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Interesting article in the Daily Memphian. Probably have to be a subscriber to read it all, but, heyt, support local journalism...link

What do you all think?

Hes a kid. Hes having an emotional reaction to the fact that he cannot control his current reality. I saw a friends post on facebook this week who is 50 years old... posted essentially the same thing because his wife left him. He cares, but convincing himself he doesnt care is a common response to situations where you have no control
09-01-2023 10:15 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

What do you all think?
I am sure his attorney is NOT very happy with that post. Williams has some problems and a lot of it appears to be self inflicted. If you are about to go to trial for a criminal act, you don't make public comments the can work against your case.
09-01-2023 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
We've all seen first hand what a "cancer" on and team can result in. May be time to walk away.
09-01-2023 10:47 AM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Adios...

I agree with the toxicity he would bring - his kind of player is not a "team first" kind of guy - and the unwanted repeating of his story every time we are televised would get old quick (evidence Alabama's Brandon Miller fiasco last season?). Too much baggage for my liking.
09-01-2023 03:55 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
This Dude ain’t coming. LOCK
09-01-2023 05:50 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2023 09:44 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Toxic. Don't want this guy in the locker room. Mickey is making it too easy for Penny but I still think Penny will let the whole thing play out before he cuts ties.

Exactly.
09-01-2023 06:33 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Every one complains about how other schools and conferences look at us.

But many are still making excuses for this guy and holding out hope that he still makes it to campus.

It is embarrassing that we haven't rescinded the offer and cut ties with this guy.

We are reinforcing the image that has held us back.
09-03-2023 06:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-01-2023 10:15 AM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  

What do you all think?

Hes a kid. Hes having an emotional reaction to the fact that he cannot control his current reality. I saw a friends post on facebook this week who is 50 years old... posted essentially the same thing because his wife left him. He cares, but convincing himself he doesnt care is a common response to situations where you have no control

Did your friend also fire a gun into a car loaded with people?
09-03-2023 06:04 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Time 4 Mikey to take a hikey…

Absolutely do not need this headache
09-03-2023 12:19 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers

What do you all think?

Ya, there is a pretty drastic difference in your buddy's scenario and Mikey's... If reality has not set in enough for him to recognize what an absurd and stupid post that is to put out then it is time to move on.

I understand Penny may not want to "give up" on a kid but at the end of the day he is running Memphis' basketball program and not a rehab/transformation center for troubled youth. His first responsibility is to Memphis and not a single individual recruit.
09-03-2023 09:06 PM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

What do you all think?

Some might say he’s a kid. Regardless he is a rich kid living in his own house making very adult decisions, including some very bad ones. He is also being exposed to the consequences.
I’m not one to give up on youth due to bad decisions but I am a great believer that being held accountable is necessary for all of us.
The decision is for the judge first, then Penny and the admin.
09-05-2023 08:46 AM
wpyoung78 Offline
Water Engineer

Have there been any credible reports of this case having any evidence against Williams? Isn’t it just the word of some teenagers who don’t like him against his? I’m hoping that a case with no actual injuries and limited evidence doesn’t ruin this kid’s life. Whether he is able to play for the Tigers or not, the fact that they’ve extended this case out and so many people assume he’s guilty is a shame. Life is challenging enough as it is.
09-05-2023 10:53 AM
tigertaylor Offline
Special Teams

Mikey's court date was today. It was at 10:40am central time. should know more soon.
09-05-2023 12:06 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(09-05-2023 10:53 AM)wpyoung78 Wrote:  Have there been any credible reports of this case having any evidence against Williams? Isn’t it just the word of some teenagers who don’t like him against his? I’m hoping that a case with no actual injuries and limited evidence doesn’t ruin this kid’s life. Whether he is able to play for the Tigers or not, the fact that they’ve extended this case out and so many people assume he’s guilty is a shame. Life is challenging enough as it is.

If this was a singular isolated incident that occurred in a vacuum then I think most would agree with you, me included. However, there were known issues prior to the shooting and then he recently followed up with the IG picture and post just days before his court hearing.

It is the totality of it all, along with the fact that he is still continuing to make bad decisions that are the major cause of concern for most fans like me.
09-05-2023 12:09 PM
Advertisement

tigertaylor Offline
Special Teams

(09-05-2023 12:06 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  Mikey's court date was today. It was at 10:40am central time. should know more soon.

well crap it's been postponed until October 10th.
09-05-2023 12:58 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(09-05-2023 12:58 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  
(09-05-2023 12:06 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  Mikey's court date was today. It was at 10:40am central time. should know more soon.

well crap it's been postponed until October 10th.

time to move on
09-05-2023 12:59 PM
450bench Offline

Get off the politics!! Those posted gone. Just ridiculous.

Carry on and if it happens again, you’re gone. You know who you are, dude.
09-05-2023 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.