Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blade future facilities article
Bookmark and Share
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Blade future facilities article
Interesting article in the Blah. Preview of a to be revealed athletics master plan. I cut and pasted the bulk of the article. Interesting stuff.

The facility upgrades are part of a strategic plan that puts to paper what the athletic department calls its BHAG, known in the business world as a Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal.

Phase one features baseball and softball stadiums at Carter Field off of Douglas Road, outdoor football practice fields on the site of the old Carter Hall dorms, and a new academic center, replete with a buffet-style training table for all athletes. (Currently, the academic center is wedged into the Larimer football building.)

At the Glass Bowl, the plan includes modernizing the suites — up first: operable windows — adding five rows of outdoor loge seating in front of the press tower, and moving the lights on the east side behind the stands.

At Savage, expect a giant, four-sided video board (picture the humongotron at an NBA arena, except a little smaller) and digital ribbon boards to freshen the end-zone walls (yes, the banners will be consolidated).

First things first, by all indications, the athletic department — not the university — will be on the hook for most of the tab.

That means a lot of fundraising, along with plenty of creativity.

One potential new revenue stream: turning the Glass Bowl into a summer music venue.

The idea of hosting concerts used to be such an afterthought that the three levels of suites were built with windows that don’t open. But Toledo athletic director Bryan Blair sees the stadium — which seats 26,000 for football but could fit upwards of 35,000 for a show with an end-zone stage — as a sleeping giant ready to host big acts.

We (AD Blair) owe it to ourselves to not only support our current 16 sports but look holistically at maybe some opportunities to add sports that help with university enrollment, help create a more vibrant campus, and fit into our existing facilities.”

He mentioned rowing, for example.

“That doesn't require a new facility,” Blair said. “It's a large-roster sport, we have water — which is unique in Toledo — and there’s a tremendous rowing club downtown that’s already well supported.” plus the university gets to show off downtown.

Other varsity sports UT will kick the tires on include men’s track and field and wrestling — both of which the school previously cut — and lacrosse.

“We at least need to go through a financial analysis,” Blair said.

In the meantime, he and his staff will keep working to bring the vision into focus.

“We're not going to sit on our hands with this stuff,” Blair said. “It's go time.”

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
08-26-2023 07:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Blade future facilities article
(08-26-2023 07:25 PM)emanoh Wrote:  Interesting article in the Blah. Preview of a to be revealed athletics master plan. I cut and pasted the bulk of the article. Interesting stuff.

The facility upgrades are part of a strategic plan that puts to paper what the athletic department calls its BHAG, known in the business world as a Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal.

Phase one features baseball and softball stadiums at Carter Field off of Douglas Road, outdoor football practice fields on the site of the old Carter Hall dorms, and a new academic center, replete with a buffet-style training table for all athletes. (Currently, the academic center is wedged into the Larimer football building.)

At the Glass Bowl, the plan includes modernizing the suites — up first: operable windows — adding five rows of outdoor loge seating in front of the press tower, and moving the lights on the east side behind the stands.

At Savage, expect a giant, four-sided video board (picture the humongotron at an NBA arena, except a little smaller) and digital ribbon boards to freshen the end-zone walls (yes, the banners will be consolidated).

First things first, by all indications, the athletic department — not the university — will be on the hook for most of the tab.

One potential new revenue stream: turning the Glass Bowl into a summer music venue.

The idea of hosting concerts used to be such an afterthought that the three levels of suites were built with windows that don’t open. But Toledo athletic director Bryan Blair sees the stadium — which seats 26,000 for football but could fit upwards of 35,000 for a show with an end-zone stage — as a sleeping giant ready to host big acts.

We (AD Blair) owe it to ourselves to not only support our current 16 sports but look holistically at maybe some opportunities to add sports that help with university enrollment, help create a more vibrant campus, and fit into our existing facilities.”

“That doesn't require a new facility,” Blair said. “It's a large-roster sport, we have water — which is unique in Toledo — and there’s a tremendous rowing club downtown that’s already well supported.” plus the university gets to show off downtown.

Other varsity sports UT will kick the tires on include men’s track and field and wrestling — both of which the school previously cut — and lacrosse.

In the meantime, he and his staff will keep working to bring the vision into focus.

“We're not going to sit on our hands with this stuff,” Blair said. “It's go time.”

Will be tough to be competitive in wrestling at the D-I level. Would love to see it, but the only way they could be competitive is by hiring a big name coach - or a former high level wrestler who wants to develop a college program. I can think of a few names, but it would take a huge commitment by UT to pry them away from their current jobs. May want to consider a women's wrestling team - and get in early. Not many D1 schools with women's teams so far. Iowa may be (not sure if others have followed recently) the only Big Ten school that has committed to starting a women's wrestling team and already has the coach and recruits on campus. They will be competing this coming year.

Edit: just checked and the only D1 schools with women's wrestling are Presbyterian, Sacred Heart, and Iowa.

If they could only convince Amit Elor to be their first recruit... but doesn't look like she will be wrestling in college anywhere. Already a cadet, junior and senior world champion.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2023 11:01 PM by MotoRocket.)
08-27-2023 10:47 PM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-27-2023 10:47 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(08-26-2023 07:25 PM)emanoh Wrote:  Interesting article in the Blah. Preview of a to be revealed athletics master plan. I cut and pasted the bulk of the article. Interesting stuff.

Will be tough to be competitive in wrestling at the D-I level. Would love to see it, but the only way they could be competitive is by hiring a big name coach - or a former high level wrestler who wants to develop a college program. I can think of a few names, but it would take a huge commitment by UT to pry them away from their current jobs. May want to consider a women's wrestling team - and get in early. Not many D1 schools with women's teams so far. Iowa may be (not sure if others have followed recently) the only Big Ten school that has committed to starting a women's wrestling team and already has the coach and recruits on campus. They will be competing this coming year.

Edit: just checked and the only D1 schools with women's wrestling are Presbyterian, Sacred Heart, and Iowa.

If they could only convince Amit Elor to be their first recruit... but doesn't look like she will be wrestling in college anywhere. Already a cadet, junior and senior world champion.

Wrestling would require a big commitment to facilities, which we don't have. Lacrosse and men's track would need some decent team areas, which on the surface we don't seem to have. There could be room in the Health Ed building if you had the money for renovations, bit I'm not sure how that would work out with ROTC. Lacrosse could play in the Glass Bowl. Not sure you could have any type of competitive track team without an indoor track.
08-28-2023 01:23 AM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
beyond just facilities needed (new/upgrades) there will be need to raise funds from outside UT to be able to offer any new sports-without taking funds from existing sports.
08-28-2023 08:19 AM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-28-2023 08:19 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  beyond just facilities needed (new/upgrades) there will be need to raise funds from outside UT to be able to offer any new sports-without taking funds from existing sports.

That's why adding sports is a head scratcher to me. It's a big cost. Sure, there are small DIII schools that have huge numbers of sports because no scholarships are involved. It's a money maker. But at DI your cost for coaches, facilities and travel are so much larger that starting sports to increase the student population makes no sense. UT needs thousands of new students, not 80 new athletes.
08-28-2023 08:53 AM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-28-2023 08:53 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(08-28-2023 08:19 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  beyond just facilities needed (new/upgrades) there will be need to raise funds from outside UT to be able to offer any new sports-without taking funds from existing sports.

That's why adding sports is a head scratcher to me. It's a big cost. Sure, there are small DIII schools that have huge numbers of sports because no scholarships are involved. It's a money maker. But at DI your cost for coaches, facilities and travel are so much larger that starting sports to increase the student population makes no sense. UT needs thousands of new students, not 80 new athletes.

agreed but I see no reason for AD to not think big and long term while also aware that UT Athletics will bare those new costs and need to generate the revenue from external sources to do so...better than just stay the course with business as usual... as long as AD and fans don't think UT operating budget is going to move millions of more dollars in support to make any of these ideas work-as that's not happening any time soon....
08-28-2023 10:42 AM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Besides moving the lights on the east side, why not get rid of those bleachers and create something what the original glass bowl east seating looks like ?
08-28-2023 08:20 PM
Advertisement

rocketinchitown2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo, Ohio State
I love an AD that is thinking big.
08-28-2023 08:27 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-28-2023 08:20 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Besides moving the lights on the east side, why not get rid of those bleachers and create something what the original glass bowl east seating looks like ?

The two levels with the concourse? I'd rather get rid of the West side. I love that concourse. Kind of irrelevant though. Reality is,
$$$$$$$

Move a massive amount of concrete or a few poles?
08-28-2023 08:56 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-28-2023 08:20 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Besides moving the lights on the east side, why not get rid of those bleachers and create something what the original glass bowl east seating looks like ?

It there room on the site for such major renovations? And perhaps most importantly given that it would take millions for such a project, is that a worthwhile priority for Glass Bowl and UT Athletics (return worth such a huge cost/investment at time of limited funds)??
08-29-2023 10:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.