Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is Georgia State doing?
Bookmark and Share
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I drove through downtown Atlanta today on I-85 and saw Georgia State’s Center Park Stadium…definitely a more noticeable structure than Georgia Tech’s stadium…

What is GSU doing to try to get Atlanta locals to notice them? Genuinely asking. Would love to know the marketing campaigns.
08-18-2023 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
RE: What is Georgia State doing?
Build around the stadium as a destination area with high foot traffic. Carter has been monumental obviously. They're flexing huge amounts of resources in a gamble it'll be the next downtown hotspot.
[Image: 11916926.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds]
[Image: 11916936.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds]
08-19-2023 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I just want to know when those unused seats will finally be demolished...
08-19-2023 11:00 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
As far as what we're doing beyond the "if you build it, they will come" approach, I'm not sure there's a good...or any...answer. You Panthers still in GA can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't say I know of anything in place to engage Atlantans atm other than the promise of cool stuff to come. I'm honestly not sure what I'd expect in that area, but that MAY be more of what OP was asking about.

Yes, we're disappointed, too, but also hopeful that the end result is truly transformational.
08-20-2023 08:07 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
It looks like the stadium and the baseball stadium (if it's ever built) will just be surrounded by a lot of commercial properties or apt/dorms.

How do you get people to the stadium in that case? How do you promote a fun/engaging gameday experience before you even enter the stadium with diminishing amounts of space?

It seems like athletics have been getting the bare minimum they need and Carter is making BANK on the rest of the land. What is that going to cost your athletics long term?
08-20-2023 12:06 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(08-20-2023 12:06 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  It looks like the stadium and the baseball stadium (if it's ever built) will just be surrounded by a lot of commercial properties or apt/dorms.

How do you get people to the stadium in that case? How do you promote a fun/engaging gameday experience before you even enter the stadium with diminishing amounts of space?

It seems like athletics have been getting the bare minimum they need and Carter is making BANK on the rest of the land. What is that going to cost your athletics long term?

Southern fan coming in hot on Sunday morning..

Carter is spending nearly a billion dollars in that immediate area around the fooball stadium. Frankly they are doing a great job in making their vision of creating a real neighborhood come to reality. I don't have an insight of returns on their investments, but if they make the bank, that means people are buying condos and apts to live in Summerhill and provide a new tax-base for the area. That's great news for everyone. We need people to live and work in downtown.

Ther are entertainments dependin on who you ask. If you are coming for football games, I think your wives and partners will come for the microbrewery and chef-inspired restaurants and other eateries. My social circle is bit of amateur foodies on weekends, finding new pop up restaurants and whatnot, and we had fun trying new things in the new Summerhill. It's also amazing how the area along the Georgia Avenue feels like a village tucked within a city.

For the GSU side, bare minimum might be a stretch. You may say the progress is noticeably slow compared to the lands owned by Carter, then that would be fair. We don't have billion dollars of cash infusion.
08-20-2023 01:38 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(08-19-2023 11:00 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I just want to know when those unused seats will finally be demolished...

I don't get the sense that is a priority. They put seat covers over them for now. Baseball is next on the agenda
08-20-2023 02:09 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2023 01:38 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  
(08-20-2023 12:06 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  It looks like the stadium and the baseball stadium (if it's ever built) will just be surrounded by a lot of commercial properties or apt/dorms.

Carter is spending nearly a billion dollars in that immediate area around the fooball stadium. Frankly they are doing a great job in making their vision of creating a real neighborhood come to reality. I don't have an insight of returns on their investments, but if they make the bank, that means people are buying condos and apts to live in Summerhill and provide a new tax-base for the area. That's great news for everyone. We need people to live and work in downtown.

Ther are entertainments dependin on who you ask. If you are coming for football games, I think your wives and partners will come for the microbrewery and chef-inspired restaurants and other eateries. My social circle is bit of amateur foodies on weekends, finding new pop up restaurants and whatnot, and we had fun trying new things in the new Summerhill. It's also amazing how the area along the Georgia Avenue feels like a village tucked within a city.

For the GSU side, bare minimum might be a stretch. You may say the progress is noticeably slow compared to the lands owned by Carter, then that would be fair. We don't have billion dollars of cash infusion.

It wasn't a shot, it was legit curiosity. It's something along the lines of what has concerned some of us at GS with where our practice facility was located and the impacts it has to the traditional gameday environment, going from grassroots to a more heavily commercial environment in addition to limiting the space near the stadium.

It looks like Carter is making a nice neighborhood, but that's not necessarily great for creating a strong atmosphere for athletics either. If you want to have massive crowds at your stadium one day, where do they park and get to the stadium?

Parking/tailgating space will be extremely limited at a certain point once the development is done, unless there's something I'm not seeing there. This is the kind of stuff that's caused some friction with some of our own fans so I was just trying to gauge what ya'lls feelings were.
08-20-2023 06:35 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(08-20-2023 06:35 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

It wasn't a shot, it was legit curiosity. It's something along the lines of what has concerned some of us at GS with where our practice facility was located and the impacts it has to the traditional gameday environment, going from grassroots to a more heavily commercial environment in addition to limiting the space near the stadium.

It looks like Carter is making a nice neighborhood, but that's not necessarily great for creating a strong atmosphere for athletics either. If you want to have massive crowds at your stadium one day, where do they park and get to the stadium?

Parking/tailgating space will be extremely limited at a certain point once the development is done, unless there's something I'm not seeing there. This is the kind of stuff that's caused some friction with some of our own fans so I was just trying to gauge what ya'lls feelings were.

That's fair enough. GSU does own few sizable parking lots to develop as it wish. I believe GSU is currently building parking decks to meet the demands.
[Image: 11912034.jpeg]

I know I'll receive hate from traditional tailgaters visiting from the suburbs, but personally I think concrete surface lots are eyesores to any city landscape (especially if they're only going to be filled once per week). I know I'm not alone in this sentiment among urban dwellers. Concrete lots create awkward giant wastelands and discourage pedestrian traffic.

I'd like to see several parking decks, mixed with dedicated tailgating area for those who want to pay extra for the privilege. The concept from UCF's tailgating space comes to mind.
[Image: s31muhxt7h4pqqbpopvu]
08-20-2023 07:43 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Demo is expensive. I don't see them taking out those extra areas. That's just a lot of money to spend with no real benefit. Houston will never get rid of the Astrodome because it's just so expensive to do so.
08-20-2023 07:54 PM
Johnnychimpo Online
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
(08-20-2023 07:54 PM)slycat Wrote:  Demo is expensive. I don't see them taking out those extra areas. That's just a lot of money to spend with no real benefit. Houston will never get rid of the Astrodome because it's just so expensive to do so.

Doesn’t it cost a couple million a year to just sit there though? Could be making things up. I know the NRG area isn’t exactly prime real estate but it’s still inside the loop and occupies a ton of space.
08-20-2023 07:59 PM
Advertisement

APPdiesel Offline
All American

(08-20-2023 07:59 PM)Johnnychimpo Wrote:  
(08-20-2023 07:54 PM)slycat Wrote:  Demo is expensive. I don't see them taking out those extra areas. That's just a lot of money to spend with no real benefit. Houston will never get rid of the Astrodome because it's just so expensive to do so.

Doesn’t it cost a couple million a year to just sit there though? Could be making things up. I know the NRG area isn’t exactly prime real estate but it’s still inside the loop and occupies a ton of space.

Good question…could the footprint the old right field stands occupy not be re-purposed into a money making space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-20-2023 09:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukes_Royals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University

I'm confused isn't Georgia State in Atlanta? You can take a rail line or bus to get to the stadium.

Parking lots in the midst of a city that are only utilized for tailgating 6 times a year don't make sense. JMU is in a much smaller city and there is a growing push in the city to develop our surface lots or at least turn them into parking garages.
08-21-2023 07:39 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2023 07:39 AM)Dukes_Royals Wrote:  

I'm confused isn't Georgia State in Atlanta? You can take a rail line or bus to get to the stadium.

Parking lots in the midst of a city that are only utilized for tailgating 6 times a year don't make sense. JMU is in a much smaller city and there is a growing push in the city to develop our surface lots or at least turn them into parking garages.

You don't know about Atlanta/Georgia residents' relationship with MARTA. I'm fine with taking the train somewhere, but a trip to Gast's stadium would require transfer from train to bus and it's just not as convenient to do that. I know quite a few people that are the same way. Dealing with Atlanta traffic and all is already a pain point for Gast getting people to the stadium, introducing more hoops to jump through is not as conducive. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to get from point A to point B.

Parking decks are obviously the best way to handle it in an urban environment but it looks like there's a minimal amount of those in this plan, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Unless the plan is for zero tailgating ever for Gast, which kind of ruins/sterilizes the whole experience of college gamedays. That's also how you can get fans hooked on your gameday experience and keep them coming back. If you don't care about fans in the stands though and only care about how much corporate money you bring in, then none of this matters at the administration level...much how I'm concerned that monetization of the college football "product" is becoming more and more widespread (and something I'm worried about at GS as well).
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2023 09:53 AM by eaglewraith.)
08-21-2023 09:50 AM
GSU-Blue Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GSU Panthers
I will get flamed for saying it, but it may be an impossibly tall task to see that stadium ever consistently full. But I wouldn’t blame GSU. It’s a location problem when so much of the city’s population lives north of the perimeter.

I’ve been to many, many more Braves games in the five years since they moved to Cobb compared to their twenty years at Turner Field.

The drive isn’t bad at all, but there’s this weird psychological thing where it seems worse than it is. I can’t explain it. Braves (formerly). Falcons. United. Hawks. GSU. I just always think, “eh, I’d rather just watch on tv than make THAT drive.”
08-21-2023 10:26 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(08-21-2023 09:50 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  You don't know about Atlanta/Georgia residents' relationship with MARTA. I'm fine with taking the train somewhere, but a trip to Gast's stadium would require transfer from train to bus and it's just not as convenient to do that. I know quite a few people that are the same way. Dealing with Atlanta traffic and all is already a pain point for Gast getting people to the stadium, introducing more hoops to jump through is not as conducive. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to get from point A to point B.

We need to break this type of thinking and promote walking. It's only 1 mile walk from the closest rail station to the football stadium.
[Image: 11918999.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

I've walked this path plenty. I know it's doable because I saw GSU students walking the same path from their apts to their classes when the shuttles are full. Only off-putting part is the bridge across I-20, but you still have sidewalks and crosswalk signals.

1) exit Georgia State MARTA Station (blue line) via Piedmont Ave front of the Georgia Capitol. head south.
[Image: 11919090.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds]
[Image: 11919013.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

2) pass the Georgia Capitol Building
[Image: 11919020.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

3) go across the bridge above I-20.
[Image: 11919059.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

4) pass the GSU basketball arena
[Image: 11919033.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

5) pass the Olympic Cauldron Tower
[Image: 11919036.png?width=600&fit=bounds]

6) walk along the 565 Lofts (Publix now completed on the left, much more pedestrian friendly)
[Image: 11919042.png?width=600&fit=bounds]
[Image: 1687379509899?e=1695254400&v=bet...eXdpSY0ZNQ]

7) Center Parc front gate is to your right
[Image: 11919047.png?width=600&fit=bounds]
08-21-2023 12:34 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

It's a fair point (not quote replying to keep from blowing up the thread lol). I personally don't have a problem walking, but it also means you're asking potentially thousands of people to have their closest access be 1 mile away at a train station, which isn't necessarily where their car is to get back home/wherever they're going.

Now if athletics created a huge communal tailgate "event" that you could get entrance into prior to games then that may be something that could fuel people going through all this and actually connecting with the gameday experience to want to come back. That's ultimately the biggest hurdle to jump over. Mix a little bit of traditional style with a way that works in the big city environment.

From a traditional standpoint, it's hard to create that same feel in an urban environment. But that's also the strongest way to get long time fans that keep coming back (along with winning naturally).
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2023 01:23 PM by eaglewraith.)
08-21-2023 01:23 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(08-21-2023 01:23 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  It's a fair point (not quote replying to keep from blowing up the thread lol). I personally don't have a problem walking, but it also means you're asking potentially thousands of people to have their closest access be 1 mile away at a train station, which isn't necessarily where their car is to get back home/wherever they're going.

Now if athletics created a huge communal tailgate "event" that you could get entrance into prior to games then that may be something that could fuel people going through all this and actually connecting with the gameday experience to want to come back. That's ultimately the biggest hurdle to jump over. Mix a little bit of traditional style with a way that works in the big city environment.

From a traditional standpoint, it's hard to create that same feel in an urban environment. But that's also the strongest way to get long time fans that keep coming back (along with winning naturally).

For the record, I'm not advocating zero parking options. Obviously out-of-town visitors will bring their vehicles, as well as folks with little kids who may not want to deal with public transit. We just need enough suburban fans to embrace MARTA (parking at their local MARTA stations are free for 24hrs,) so the blue lot can be sufficient for those with good reasons to bring their cars, such as tailgating.
08-22-2023 09:24 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(08-21-2023 10:26 AM)GSU-Blue Wrote:  I will get flamed for saying it, but it may be an impossibly tall task to see that stadium ever consistently full. But I wouldn’t blame GSU. It’s a location problem when so much of the city’s population lives north of the perimeter.

I’ve been to many, many more Braves games in the five years since they moved to Cobb compared to their twenty years at Turner Field.

The drive isn’t bad at all, but there’s this weird psychological thing where it seems worse than it is. I can’t explain it. Braves (formerly). Falcons. United. Hawks. GSU. I just always think, “eh, I’d rather just watch on tv than make THAT drive.”

It’s called 85 and 75 running concurrently through the heart of downtown. Whoever thought that was a great idea was high.
08-23-2023 11:16 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(08-23-2023 11:16 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(08-21-2023 10:26 AM)GSU-Blue Wrote:  I will get flamed for saying it, but it may be an impossibly tall task to see that stadium ever consistently full. But I wouldn’t blame GSU. It’s a location problem when so much of the city’s population lives north of the perimeter.

It’s called 85 and 75 running concurrently through the heart of downtown. Whoever thought that was a great idea was high.
They bulldozed straight through the middle of the neighborhood MLK grew up in and the city’s HBCU campuses in the 60’s. That was on purpose.
08-24-2023 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.