Pat Forde on FSU exit and Stanford & Cal to ACC
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
Pat Forde on FSU exit and Stanford & Cal to ACC
Very interesting article by Pat Forde of SI

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/16/fl...ne-passing

Some key points:

* FSU may give a formal notice of a 2025 move in a matter of days or weeks to buy time for legal fight.

* FSU and Clemson are “very connected,” albeit with “very different PR strategies.”

* One ACC source in favor of adding the Bay Area schools described it as a “third and 15” situation instead of trying to execute a Hail Mary.

* Stanford enlisting Condoleezza Rice and Jerry Yang to lobby on its behalf. SMU has enlisted former President George W. Bush (!)

* Multiple sources described North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham as the key administrator.

* The ACC has a regularly scheduled leadership call for Wednesday, and realignment will surely be discussed again.

We may get some resolution tomorrow. Let's see if UNC flips its position.

Fingers crossed.
08-15-2023 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Pat Forde on FSU exit and Stanford & Cal to ACC
(08-15-2023 10:35 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Very interesting article by Pat Forde of SI

Some key points:

* FSU may give a formal notice of a 2025 move in a matter of days or weeks to buy time for legal fight.

* FSU and Clemson are “very connected,” albeit with “very different PR strategies.”

* One ACC source in favor of adding the Bay Area schools described it as a “third and 15” situation instead of trying to execute a Hail Mary.

* Stanford enlisting Condoleezza Rice and Jerry Yang to lobby on its behalf. SMU has enlisted former President George W. Bush (!)

* Multiple sources described North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham as the key administrator.

* The ACC has a regularly scheduled leadership call for Wednesday, and realignment will surely be discussed again.

Fingers crossed.
Interesting article. I think North Carolina and NC State are holding out for more money from Stanford and Cal (lower than a 50% to 60% payout). I have no doubt that North Carolina is the key decision maker in this whole thing as I think North Carolina has a big voice in the running of the ACC.
I was reading an article on the Athletic and I am not the only one who thinks we are at peak valuations for media rights for college sports. Apparently Fox is also in a bit of a financial problem, same as ESPN because of the high price of media rights for sports and the cord cutting cutting their revenues. I will try and post part of the article if I can find it. FSU and Clemson may not want to leave the ACC after they look at the financials of Fox and ESPN because that $40 million per year that each school gets will look good when the B1G, SEC and Big XII negotiate their next contracts.
08-15-2023 10:52 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-15-2023 10:52 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  
(08-15-2023 10:35 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Very interesting article by Pat Forde of SI

Some key points:

Fingers crossed.
Interesting article. I think North Carolina and NC State are holding out for more money from Stanford and Cal (lower than a 50% to 60% payout). I have no doubt that North Carolina is the key decision maker in this whole thing as I think North Carolina has a big voice in the running of the ACC.
I was reading an article on the Athletic and I am not the only one who thinks we are at peak valuations for media rights for college sports. Apparently Fox is also in a bit of a financial problem, same as ESPN because of the high price of media rights for sports and the cord cutting cutting their revenues. I will try and post part of the article if I can find it. FSU and Clemson may not want to leave the ACC after they look at the financials of Fox and ESPN because that $40 million per year that each school gets will look good when the B1G, SEC and Big XII negotiate their next contracts.

That may be wishful thinking but the point still stands.

We don't know how fans are going to react to the 12-team playoff. Commentators have always said college football has the best regular season because every game matters. With 12-playoff spots, they don't matter quite so much. So with pay for play and reduced interest in the regular season, people dropping cable and the baby boomers dying off, are the B1G and SEC going to drop down to under $40 mil per team per year? Probably not, but I'm not expecting another set of blockbuster raises after these contracts are up either.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2023 12:04 AM by ChrisLords.)
08-15-2023 11:53 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-15-2023 11:53 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Some key points:

Fingers crossed.

That may be wishful thinking but the point still stands.

We don't know how fans are going to react to the 12-team playoff. Commentators have always said college football has the best regular season because every game matters. With 12-playoff spots, they don't matter quite so much. So with pay for play and reduced interest in the regular season, people dropping cable and the baby boomers dying off, are the B1G and SEC going to drop down to under $40 mil per team per year? Probably not, but I'm not expecting another set of blockbuster raises after these contracts are up either.
The more research I do into media companies (i am an investor) the more I am thinking that we are at peak valuations for media rights for athletic conferences. I would not be surprised if the B1G or SEC go down to $40 million or under with their next media deals. I have done more research on IPTV and it turns out that there are a lot of illegal providers of IPTV that do not pay ESPN or Fox or any of the other networks for content so ESPN and Fox are going to be screwed on their financial calculations when they paid all that money for content. ESPN paid all that money to the various conferences and thought that they were going to get paid for their content from cable subscribers. The thought had occurred to me that even networks like ABC, NBC and CBS will also be affected by this. From what I can tell you just need to order a router for your TV and a monthly subscription service from an IPTV provider. These subscriptions are $15 to $20 per month. I am guessing these are illegal providers as they provide all the channels and that is a pretty amazing price. There are legal providers but they charge more per month.
I may do more research to find some media companies to "short" in the equity markets as this seems like this is really bad news for these media companies and this trend of "cord cutting" is likely to grow in the future. I would not mind making a few dollars off of some media companies losing money.
08-16-2023 12:32 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Quote: ... followed by Clemson and others.

TIP OF THE SPEAR
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2023 03:22 AM by green.)
08-16-2023 03:13 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State

Some key points:

Fingers crossed.

Great news! 684 days (until 6/30/2025) is a vast improvement over the 4,702 days until 6/30/2036. I assume then FSU wouldn't get a vote on expansion, and Stanford/Cal will pass?

Some key points:

Fingers crossed.

I don't think that's a possibility anymore, not with FSU at least. The anti-ACC contingent has waited a long time for this and we're finally driving the bus...there will be a civil war in Tallahassee if Chief Osceola doesn't continue riding towards the exit. Serving another year of our sentence to get the exit right and land smoothly is one thing, pointing to crumbs Greensboro throws and saying we're committed to the ACC again would not be acceptable. And FSU's scorched earth tactics tell me that the administration knows this and is on board as well.
08-16-2023 04:36 AM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
What does the ACC stand to make immediately after SMU, Cal-Stan are added? What will the ACC make after everybody gets full shares some years from now?
08-16-2023 06:16 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-16-2023 06:16 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  What does the ACC stand to make immediately after SMU, Cal-Stan are added? What will the ACC make after everybody gets full shares some years from now?

Probably $50M each in the short term, staying flat as the new schools get full shares.
08-16-2023 06:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(08-16-2023 03:13 AM)green Wrote:  
Quote: ... followed by Clemson and others.

TIP OF THE SPEAR

Pat Forde Wrote:potentially being followed by Clemson and others.

TELL THE WHOLE TRUTH
08-16-2023 07:39 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

The Big Ten and SEC might not drop to $40m/year, but considering cable cutting, Boomers moving on, youth interest waning, and increased membership AKA more mouths in the Big Ten and SEC (already at 34 shares total), I don’t see an increase to their current media payout in the ‘30’s. The question becomes “when do those conferences begin to question unequal shares?”

As I’ve said from the beginning, the UNC System is not holding this up with malicious intent. Perhaps the thought was if Stanford and Call were voted in, FSU would quickly announce their departure and UNC wanted to buy more time with ESPN’s involvement. FSU understands the moment they announce their departure, they become a lame duck member.

I think we can all agree dissolution is so far off the table we can take it out to the pasture.
08-16-2023 07:49 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Should FSU & Clemson leave, I would rather have Cincy, UCF, Houston & maybe TCU coming in over the PAC schools. Hay B12, want to make a trade? Lol

I can get behind Stanford but not really any of the others. The ACC should have struck before the B12. Let’s face it, if ESPN cared about the ACC they would have moved the top PAC schools here at full shares & given everyone a bump up. Stanford, Oregon, Washington & Arizona/AST sounds a lot better than Stanford, Cal & Oregon St! The ACC is resembling the BE lately.
08-16-2023 08:00 AM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
If Ore St, Wazu, Stan, Cal, SMU got us all to 50 mil a year right away, probably should have done that....maybe the 60's we're projected to see get shrunk some in spreading that wealth to our new friends. But as said above, new deals in 5 years could be leveled off quiet a bit...and we'll be set thru 2036 then.
08-16-2023 08:58 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
08-16-2023 09:02 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
(08-16-2023 09:02 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/169...6815870171

Sadly Jim has fallen into the WVU/Swaim category with information these days...he's got something new for clicks every day.
08-16-2023 09:22 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2023 08:00 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Should FSU & Clemson leave, I would rather have Cincy, UCF, Houston & maybe TCU coming in over the PAC schools. Hay B12, want to make a trade? Lol

I can get behind Stanford but not really any of the others. The ACC should have struck before the B12. Let’s face it, if ESPN cared about the ACC they would have moved the top PAC schools here at full shares & given everyone a bump up. Stanford, Oregon, Washington & Arizona/AST sounds a lot better than Stanford, Cal & Oregon St! The ACC is resembling the BE lately.

panic sets in ...

GET THE BALL ROLLING
08-16-2023 09:28 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-16-2023 09:22 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  
(08-16-2023 09:02 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/169...6815870171

Sadly Jim has fallen into the WVU/Swaim category with information these days...he's got something new for clicks every day.

That's quite an insult.
08-16-2023 09:55 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2023 08:00 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Should FSU & Clemson leave, I would rather have Cincy, UCF, Houston & maybe TCU coming in over the PAC schools. Hay B12, want to make a trade? Lol

b1g foiled last-minute gambit ...

FOX & FRIENDS
08-16-2023 09:57 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC

But with all due respect the big 12 could easily just tell Cal, Stanford ,WSU, OSU to come on down without any trade . It would be good to have WVU, Cincinnati and UCF in the ACC but our conference reacts way to slow to today’s ever changing world
08-16-2023 10:08 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

Stanford is 100% the first step.
08-16-2023 10:08 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
FSU Can announce anything they like. No other conference will invite them until they have a signed exit agreement with the ACC. To do otherwise would be tortious interference and leave them open to legal action by the ACC.
08-16-2023 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.