Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: CFN: Preseason Hot Seat Rankings for all FBS Coaches
How did Charles Huff get so high?
08-10-2023 07:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrojansOneandAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy
(08-10-2023 07:35 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  How did Charles Huff get so high?

"Now I lost to Troy
And I know why....."

04-rock04-rock02-13-banana02-13-banana04-rock04-rock
08-10-2023 08:35 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Anyone that put Bowden that high on the hot seat didn't do their homework....or any homework at all. Bowden is hardly on the hot seat at this point considering that each of the last 2 seasons we were predicted to win 2 or fewer games and he won 4 each. Now, if he goes 4-8 or worse this season his seat might start getting a little warm but I doubt it until Hartwell has had a full year as the AD.
08-10-2023 09:05 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Desormeaux is too high and Rahne too low.
If I was ranking:

1. Jones (I think this one is easy)
2. Elliott (buyout may make him safe but fans are restless)
3. Clark (fans are confident and probably deserve to be that doesn't mean another year like last year could mean this is his last season at the helm)
4. Rahne (if they go 3-9 against and get boatraced by JMU again the heat will get turned up)
5. Huff (if I'm a Marshall fan I might be concerned at the lack of offensive production last season with the same HC, OC, and QB)
6. Bowden
7. Hall
8. Desormeaux (his roster got ransacked, team competed with the top teams in the league though)
9. Helton (got the DC replaced, for now everything is good)
10. Wommack (butt stuck on a throne of ice)
11. Sumrall (butt stuck on a throne of ice)
12. Cignetti (same)

Neither of the two first-year coaches not ranked.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2023 09:40 PM by EigenEagle.)
08-10-2023 09:37 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
Not sure how #69. Nice. Rahne isn't closer to the hot seat.

Though personally I think Universities are way to quick to fire coaches.
08-10-2023 10:31 PM
Advertisement

sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Anyone who thinks Butch's seat is hot is delusional and hasn't examined the history of stAte and firing coaches.
08-11-2023 07:57 AM
GSUdpb Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia State
(08-10-2023 09:37 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Desormeaux is too high and Rahne too low.
If I was ranking:

3. Clark (fans are confident and probably deserve to be that doesn't mean another year like last year could mean this is his last season at the helm)
4. Rahne (if they go 3-9 against and get boatraced by JMU again the heat will get turned up)
5. Huff (if I'm a Marshall fan I might be concerned at the lack of offensive production last season with the same HC, OC, and QB)
6. Bowden
7. Hall
8. Desormeaux (his roster got ransacked, team competed with the top teams in the league though)
12. Cignetti (same)

While I never want to agree with a fan of the Trash Down South you're right. Elliott could go 0-12 this season and we would still see him on the sidelines next year.
08-11-2023 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(08-11-2023 08:19 AM)GSUdpb Wrote:  
(08-10-2023 09:37 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Desormeaux is too high and Rahne too low.
If I was ranking:

6. Bowden
7. Hall
12. Cignetti (same)

While I never want to agree with a fan of the Trash Down South you're right. Elliott could go 0-12 this season and we would still see him on the sidelines next year.

Yeah, I actually thought CSE might just be exempt from even being ranked here.

Also unsure why Bowden is so high in those national rankings. Isn't the whole idea to give this seasoned coach a chance to work some magic on a program that's been struggling?
08-11-2023 08:33 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
So basically there are no hot seats in the Sun Belt in 2023. Too many new coaches. someone said they were elders in the group with 4 yrs.
08-11-2023 08:34 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Rahne's seat isn't hot at the moment. Maybe slightly warm. We'll see how he does this season. 3 or fewer wins this year and I think his seat is pretty hot in 24. 4+ wins would take the pressure off and help set the stage for the turnaround next year.
08-11-2023 09:04 AM
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU

I really like Charles Huff, but I don't think he has played the cards he was dealt with all that well. When Grant Wells left to go to Va Tech, there were no viable QB backups, and bringing in 4 freshmen left an inexperienced QB room after Henry Colombi went down. In hindsight, more experience (via the portal) might have been better.

He got lucky with a super back in Khalen LaBorn when Ali went down.

I'm not sure he handled the loss of the O Line Coach in a quality manner. That unit suffered as a result.

After the Notre Dame game, the team did a meltdown for a while, and at least some of that has to go with the Coach. Losing to Bowling Green was inexcusable.

Marshall fans will demand improvement, and improving last year's record will be challenging given our schedule (as solid a schedule as we've had in a while).

I'm just saying I want Huff to do well, and I'm willing to give him time to make a difference. But even my outside is playing for a conference championship by 2024, and there are question marks in the past that at least cause me to wonder a bit.
08-11-2023 10:12 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-11-2023 10:12 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  

I really like Charles Huff, but I don't think he has played the cards he was dealt with all that well. When Grant Wells left to go to Va Tech, there were no viable QB backups, and bringing in 4 freshmen left an inexperienced QB room after Henry Colombi went down. In hindsight, more experience (via the portal) might have been better.

He got lucky with a super back in Khalen LaBorn when Ali went down.

I'm not sure he handled the loss of the O Line Coach in a quality manner. That unit suffered as a result.

After the Notre Dame game, the team did a meltdown for a while, and at least some of that has to go with the Coach. Losing to Bowling Green was inexcusable.

Marshall fans will demand improvement, and improving last year's record will be challenging given our schedule (as solid a schedule as we've had in a while).

I'm just saying I want Huff to do well, and I'm willing to give him time to make a difference. But even my outside is playing for a conference championship by 2024, and there are question marks in the past that at least cause me to wonder a bit.

That all seems fair. It was strange because you don't see many 9 win G5 coaches on the hot seat. But you guys did fire Doc after a 7-2 regular season. COVID season no less.
08-11-2023 10:44 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
That article is what happens when you don’t know crap about anything, look up a bunch of stats, and write something around them.
08-11-2023 04:55 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

(08-11-2023 04:55 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  That article is what happens when you don’t know crap about anything, look up a bunch of stats, and write something around them.

Much the same results occur when shame eats too much stupidity.
08-11-2023 06:05 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(08-11-2023 06:05 PM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 04:55 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  That article is what happens when you don’t know crap about anything, look up a bunch of stats, and write something around them.

Much the same results occur when shame eats too much stupidity.

R.I.P. Johnny Hardwick
08-11-2023 07:13 PM
Advertisement

muherd34 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall University
Huff is on the hot seat because his offense has been terrible and not a sniff of a championship. When he was hired he told everyone we were going to be "all gas and no brakes" offense. That is what we want and what we win conference championships with at MU. Plus he took over a team that played in the conference championship game and did not lose much the following year. Now with that being said, the culture in the locker room was a mess and that is a big reason Doc was fired. Huff even said in his opening press conference that he was brought in to close the gap and win conference championships. Well he has been more of the same with a terrible offense. He is on the Hot seat IMO.
08-12-2023 09:46 AM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
I’m surprised our friend Mike Houston over at EZU is that warm. Back to back winning seasons (8 wins last year), back to back bowls and a bowl win last season. He’s the only guy the Parts have had whose head hasn’t been placed squarely up his butt. More delusions of grandeur that East Carolina is supposed to be good at anything.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2023 11:01 AM by Dukes94.)
08-12-2023 10:59 AM
triplegood Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Life
Huff is not on a hot seat unless there is an implosion of magnitude. His recruiting is going extremely well. As far as QBs are concerned, they have 6, including a former 4-star. They're just young. I'm optimistic about the season and expect them to be 4-0 going to NC State.
08-12-2023 11:16 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Bowden's fine. He's said ULM is his last job no matter what and many of us thought he'd give us five years when he was hired. I'm sure he'll be here at least that long. He's already changing the culture in Monroe and with Hartwell as the new AD it's going to be interesting what changes will happen within the athletic department overall.
08-12-2023 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.