Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does PAC 4 reload and keep the conference alive?
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
I know common thought is reloading with others, keeping whatever value the brand has and it technical autonomy status, and most of all keeping all the basketball credits.

However, think how hard that is gonna be. There is NO media contract in 1 year from now. Zippy, zilch, nada. When you invite a school from the G5 ranks, they need to know what they will be making in order to make a decision if it would be worth it. The PAC cannot even negotiate a media deal without knowledge of who their conference members are. The G5 callups cannot accept an invite without a deal in place, which is impossible to do.

Only scenario seems herculean....... fire that idiot GK, go to the market again and ask each media bidder to theoretically comprise a conference made up with G5 additions that would maximize a pay. You choose the highest bidder, then offer invites to those schools and pray they accept, which they may not even do if it's not worth it........then back to square 1.

Honestly, I see absolutely no path for the conference to survive.
08-04-2023 07:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: How does PAC 4 reload and keep the conference alive?
(08-04-2023 07:18 PM)otown Wrote:  I know common thought is reloading with others, keeping whatever value the brand has and it technical autonomy status, and most of all keeping all the basketball credits.

However, think how hard that is gonna be. There is NO media contract in 1 year from now. Zippy, zilch, nada. When you invite a school from the G5 ranks, they need to know what they will be making in order to make a decision if it would be worth it. The PAC cannot even negotiate a media deal without knowledge of who their conference members are. The G5 callups cannot accept an invite without a deal in place, which is impossible to do.

Only scenario seems herculean....... fire that idiot GK, go to the market again and ask each media bidder to theoretically comprise a conference made up with G5 additions that would maximize a pay. You choose the highest bidder, then offer invites to those schools and pray they accept, which they may not even do if it's not worth it........then back to square 1.

Survival is easy. Just invite the best MW schools and you are GTG. What’s the alternative? Going Indy and not getting a big CFP paycheck and playoff spot is not better.
08-04-2023 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris02m1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Syracuse
I kinda think this was the big tens plan truthfully, have oregon and washinbgton stall the media contract so that there are minimal exit fees
08-04-2023 07:22 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

Magnolia (plus OSU/WSU)

Tulane, Rice, SMU, USF in the East

Consider Buffalo, Temple, CSU, SDSU and others for a mix of reasons. Maybe stick at 10 and position yourself to scoop up Duke et al in a couple years.
08-04-2023 07:26 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
I can't see the PAC 4 reload because Cal/Stan are too snobby for it in addition to not having a media contract.

If Cal/Stan don't get a life line from the B1G or ACC they'll go independent.

WSU/OSU will try and keep the credits and fold the MWC under the PAC banner.
08-04-2023 07:26 PM
mvfcfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Indiana St; E Illinois
Is it really worth it to AAC and MWC schools to pay an $18M exit fee (AAC) or $34M exit fee (MWC) to join a league without a TV deal? What value does the Pac-4 plus 4-6 G5 schools really have?

MWC TV distributions per school: ~$4M
AAC TV distributions per school: ~$7M
08-04-2023 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Garden_KC Offline
1st String

Cal/Stan also can survive without a CFP annual payout.

If they do make the playoffs they can keep all of the money for themselves.
08-04-2023 07:28 PM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
(08-04-2023 07:21 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  Survival is easy. Just invite the best MW schools ...

Just the matter of a $34M one year notice MWC buy-out.
08-04-2023 07:29 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

(08-04-2023 07:27 PM)mvfcfan Wrote:  Is it really worth it to AAC and MWC schools to pay an $18M exit fee (AAC) or $34M exit fee (MWC) to join a league without a TV deal? What value does the Pac-4 plus 4-6 G5 schools really have?

G5 moves have been made for smaller payout differences before though.

Maybe 10M if ESPN can get behind it.
08-04-2023 07:30 PM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

(08-04-2023 07:27 PM)mvfcfan Wrote:  What value does the Pac-4 plus 4-6 G5 schools really have?

Zip dot squat. And you round that down to nada.
otown Offline
All American

(08-04-2023 07:21 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 07:18 PM)otown Wrote:  I know common thought is reloading with others, keeping whatever value the brand has and it technical autonomy status, and most of all keeping all the basketball credits.

Survival is easy. Just invite the best MW schools and you are GTG. What’s the alternative? Going Indy and not getting a big CFP paycheck and playoff spot is not better.

How? Those MWC schools would have to pay an exit fee. They currently have their budgets set. They need to know what they are walking into. The PAC will have no media deal in place.
Advertisement

Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(08-04-2023 07:22 PM)Chris02m1 Wrote:  I kinda think this was the big tens plan truthfully, have oregon and washinbgton stall the media contract so that there are minimal exit fees

The PAC already didn’t have exit fees.

It seems like Oregon and Washington stalled the TV contract just so they could get Colorado and Arizona to leave the conference and the Big 10 could take Oregon and Washington but claim that it was really the Big 12 who destroyed the PAC.
08-04-2023 07:31 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
(08-04-2023 07:29 PM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 07:21 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  Survival is easy. Just invite the best MW schools ...

The access and money that comes with it is probably worth it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
I'm not even sure it's possible. MWC has too big of a buyout. Only schools I can think of that might be interested other than them could be the AAC western private schools. And is it even worth it? What's the TV deal going to be down to??? $10M per school for streaming? What's the lure? To say you're in a conference with Stanford and Cal? The only schools that I can possibly think have the money and MIGHT want to do that would be Rice, Tulane and SMU.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2023 07:35 PM by b2b.)
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(08-04-2023 07:28 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  Cal/Stan also can survive without a CFP annual payout.

If they do make the playoffs they can keep all of the money for themselves.

Idk about cal with all the debt and the stadium remodel. Stanford can.
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

Assuming they all 4 stick around?

SDSU
SMU
AFA
Boise
Fresno
UNLV
Memphis
Tulane
CSU
Rice
UTSA
USF
UNR
UNM

Pick 6-10 of those and they'll get ~ $10m on a short term deal, with potential for it to increase significantly over time as the new schools grow.
08-04-2023 07:32 PM
Advertisement

surrealpirate Online
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(08-04-2023 07:22 PM)Chris02m1 Wrote:  I kinda think this was the big tens plan truthfully, have oregon and washinbgton stall the media contract so that there are minimal exit fees

The PAC12 doesn't have exit fees. That's one of the many reasons why they are so effed right now. Schools can leave with no penalty.
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(08-04-2023 07:30 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 07:27 PM)mvfcfan Wrote:  Is it really worth it to AAC and MWC schools to pay an $18M exit fee (AAC) or $34M exit fee (MWC) to join a league without a TV deal? What value does the Pac-4 plus 4-6 G5 schools really have?

G5 moves have been made for smaller payout differences before though.

Maybe 10M if ESPN can get behind it.

They have, but they paid the CUSA exit fee to do it.
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

(08-04-2023 07:31 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 07:29 PM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  

The access and money that comes with it is probably worth it.

Do explain. What money.

The PAC owes Comcast $50M. The PAC couldn't get $20M; no way any slap-dazzle group of PAC-MWC is getting that much less $10M.
08-04-2023 07:34 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

Exit fee was always going to be 0. B1G was worried about having blood on their hands. At least this way they can claim that Yormark and the 12 Grenadiers were co-conspirators.
08-04-2023 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.