Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is It Time to Revisit the Concept of an SEC / ACC Merger and How Would That Work
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Is It Time to Revisit the Concept of an SEC / ACC Merger and How Would That Work
For the purposes of the Security of Future Interests of both conferences let me suggest this simple and efficient means of settling the matters at hand.

The ACC portion would remain distinct but would be under the SEC umbrella and the ACCN and SECN would be merged, and all revenues split equally.

The SEC would stay as is and receive its contracted revenue. The ACC would stay as is, but their revenue would be tiered. Those which ESPN deem worthy of SEC pro rata would get it. Tiers of viewership could be used to give more ACC schools a boost to more than they make now, but perhaps 55 million instead of 75. And laggards would receive what they are presently contracted to receive.

This way Miami, Clemson, FSU and Virginia Tech could schedule more games against SEC schools, so their venues are fuller. Likewise, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and the like could schedule more games against the SEC schools like Tennessee and Kentucky, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

This kind of arrangement could stand for quite some time with no tweaking unless everyone wanted it.

It gets the ACC past the current internal issues, it prevents product from heading to FOX which injures ESPN's dominance of a region which pays them higher ad revenues which in turn is passed on to us,

If the two do this, it gives them ample time to adjust to what is coming.

Thoughts are welcome. BTW: You could also eliminate one set of overhead and combine the officiating.
08-04-2023 02:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
RE: Is It Time to Revisit the Concept of an SEC / ACC Merger and How Would That Work
Is 9 of 15 enough votes to void the GOR? Notre Dame gets a full vote right?

17 - FSU
18 - UNC
19 - Clemson
20 - Miami
21 - UVA
22 - Duke
23 - Virginia Tech
24 - Georgia Tech or NCSU
25 - Notre Dame (everything but football)

That's basically everybody worth having for various reasons.
08-04-2023 02:36 PM
UofLCard94 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Is It Time to Revisit the Concept of an SEC / ACC Merger and How Would That Work
I'm mostly good with that proposal and I understand the "lifeline" SEC keeping current payout levels.

However, what I would rather see something like bottom 6 of ACC and Bottom 4 of SEC make the same minimum floor, then the top 4 of ACC and Top 6 of SEC make the same maximum, with the rest middle making something in between. Certainly consolidation of network, conference overhead would lead to increasing the overall revenue.

For UofL, assuming 8 conferences games and the one fixed SEC rival in UK, it would be good to get a rotating home/home type series with Tennessee, Vandy, Missouri, Bama, Auburn.... etc. leaving two G5/other P3 conferences games. The rotating home n home games should bring lots of excitement and variation. Heck looking at UofL's future schedule and we have this (Georgia/Texas AM).

(08-04-2023 02:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  For the purposes of the Security of Future Interests of both conferences let me suggest this simple and efficient means of settling the matters at hand.

The ACC portion would remain distinct but would be under the SEC umbrella and the ACCN and SECN would be merged, and all revenues split equally.

The SEC would stay as is and receive its contracted revenue. The ACC would stay as is, but their revenue would be tiered. Those which ESPN deem worthy of SEC pro rata would get it. Tiers of viewership could be used to give more ACC schools a boost to more than they make now, but perhaps 55 million instead of 75. And laggards would receive what they are presently contracted to receive.

This way Miami, Clemson, FSU and Virginia Tech could schedule more games against SEC schools, so their venues are fuller. Likewise, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and the like could schedule more games against the SEC schools like Tennessee and Kentucky, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

This kind of arrangement could stand for quite some time with no tweaking unless everyone wanted it.

It gets the ACC past the current internal issues, it prevents product from heading to FOX which injures ESPN's dominance of a region which pays them higher ad revenues which in turn is passed on to us,

Thoughts are welcome. BTW: You could also eliminate one set of overhead and combine the officiating.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2023 02:45 PM by UofLCard94.)
08-04-2023 02:37 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(08-04-2023 02:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  For the purposes of the Security of Future Interests of both conferences let me suggest this simple and efficient means of settling the matters at hand.

I endorse.
08-04-2023 02:38 PM
UofLCard94 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-04-2023 02:38 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

I endorse.

I guess the question is how quickly can you get this to happen JR? 2024????
08-04-2023 02:47 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
This would be the best for both conferences and the ESPN and really ramp up fan interest throughout the region and really give more content for the networks to choose from . Now if We can get the SEC and ACC on board
08-04-2023 03:31 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Well we've danced around this since Bilas floated it the day after Texas and Oklahoma announced for the SEC.

It's a no lose situation for all involved.
08-04-2023 03:39 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

Sounds reasonable.

ESPN would be forking over an additional 35M per school in the top tier (75 - 40), and 15M for middle tier (55 - 40).

Assume 4 in the top tier -- $140M more
Assume 6 in the middle tier -- $90M more
Leaving 4 in the bottom tier ....

$230M more per year.

You think ESPN would swallow this?

I'm skeptical.

07-coffee3
08-04-2023 04:28 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-04-2023 04:28 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Sounds reasonable.

ESPN would be forking over an additional 35M per school in the top tier (75 - 40), and 15M for middle tier (55 - 40).

$230M more per year.

I'm skeptical.

07-coffee3

You don't think that closing one set of offices and combining the expense for officials, and cutting out one network by combining the two wouldn't save money?

Now look at the scheduling opportunities for both major sports against a better slate of teams. Don't you suppose that the network would make more with a little more intentionality for better game to select from and sell?

They've eliminated 150 million in expense for the PAC 12.

I'd say there was wiggle room in ESPN's budget, especially after the layoffs.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2023 04:49 PM by JRsec.)
08-04-2023 04:49 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-04-2023 03:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Well we've danced around this since Bilas floated it the day after Texas and Oklahoma announced for the SEC.

Except ESPN which has to pay significantly more for media rights that they already own.

I'm all in favor of it though.
08-04-2023 05:04 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
JR, ESPN should make a play for the Big East (or at least their major players UConn, St. John’s, Villanova, and Georgetown) when the time is right and fold them into this idea. You end up dominating the East Coast and all the major media markets plus the Southeast into Texas.
08-04-2023 05:28 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-04-2023 05:28 PM)esayem Wrote:  JR, ESPN should make a play for the Big East (or at least their major players UConn, St. John’s, Villanova, and Georgetown) when the time is right and fold them into this idea. You end up dominating the East Coast and all the major media markets plus the Southeast into Texas.
Agree. Here's why. Basketball brands are too divided to have leverage and it hurts their bargaining power at contract time. Each conference typically has 3 or 4 solid hoops brands. The ACC has a few more. The Big East has more than average and the ones that excel are contenders. They also bring a product that nails down the College sports market in the New England region. College viewership is lost in part to pro football with those who have decent but not great football programs. Plut those basketball programs of Syracuse, Pitt, and B.C. back into the Big East hoops market by incorporating Big East basketball and all of the sudden the whole East Coast package for basketball can be obtained in one place and one place only, Then if they want your business they have to pony up a bit more. That bit rebuilds the balance in programming at those schools in the Big East area with both football and basketball and their quality goes back up.

They worked in the Big East when that market wasn't divided by sports season.
08-04-2023 05:46 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(08-04-2023 04:49 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 04:28 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Sounds reasonable.

$230M more per year.

I'm skeptical.

07-coffee3

You don't think that closing one set of offices and combining the expense for officials, and cutting out one network by combining the two wouldn't save money?

Now look at the scheduling opportunities for both major sports against a better slate of teams. Don't you suppose that the network would make more with a little more intentionality for better game to select from and sell?

They've eliminated 150 million in expense for the PAC 12.

I'd say there was wiggle room in ESPN's budget, especially after the layoffs.

Believe me ... I want to believe.

$230M in increased revenues, minus $150M from PAC12 going "poof" means $80M left.

Combining networks, etc. .... would be some savings. I have no idea how to quantify that though.

If the SEC and ACC are still "staying as is", you need SOME staff devoted to those entities. But maybe they can make some cuts somehow.

I guess in the end, this would depend on how much ESPN values holding on to their "territory".

07-coffee3
08-04-2023 07:18 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2023 05:04 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Except ESPN which has to pay significantly more for media rights that they already own.

ESPN may have to pay a little more BUT they will have successfully kept Amazon and Apple out of college athletics for the foreseeable future. ESPN can also make sure they have only one main competitor (FOX) and the FOX has inferior product to broadcast to an area of the country that is more Pro oriented than the southeast.
08-04-2023 07:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-04-2023 07:59 PM)XLance Wrote:  

ESPN may have to pay a little more BUT they will have successfully kept Amazon and Apple out of college athletics for the foreseeable future. ESPN can also make sure they have only one main competitor (FOX) and the FOX has inferior product to broadcast to an area of the country that is more Pro oriented than the southeast.

And that is the lay of the land before us. If ESPN locks this down they control the direction of the CFP through their product and their votes. And the CFP is the pot of gold that ESPN has been working to get.
08-04-2023 08:03 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

Looking good. Except the B1G is on 3 over the air networks and the SEC and ACC are on 1.
08-04-2023 08:07 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2023 08:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

And that is the lay of the land before us. If ESPN locks this down they control the direction of the CFP through their product and their votes. And the CFP is the pot of gold that ESPN has been working to get.

BTW I believe that it was necessary to have the Big 12 and PAC sort themselves out before ESPN could make any moves re: the ACC and SEC.
It's interesting that "the market" has eliminated Stanford, California, Oregon State, and Washington State from the upper echelon.
The 68 has now been reduced to 64 and ready for an expanded playoff.
08-04-2023 08:17 PM
krux Offline
Banned

(08-04-2023 08:17 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 03:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  Well we've danced around this since Bilas floated it the day after Texas and Oklahoma announced for the SEC.

BTW I believe that it was necessary to have the Big 12 and PAC sort themselves out before ESPN could make any moves re: the ACC and SEC.
It's interesting that "the market" has eliminated Stanford, California, Oregon State, and Washington State from the upper echelon.

Stanford getting left out really just proves it's about football and nothing else.
08-04-2023 08:23 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-04-2023 08:23 PM)krux Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 08:17 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 05:04 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Except ESPN which has to pay significantly more for media rights that they already own.

Stanford getting left out really just proves it's about football and nothing else.

I think Stanford gets in once the Big 10 figures out if they can move to 20 or 24. If it's 24 Cal and Stanford both get picked up and 4 to the East. If they can't get any to the East they'll make a run at Notre Dame and Stanford, and then Kansas and Stanford. It's why I would like to see ESPN round out it's holdings with Kansas. Then if the SEC and ACC merge in some fashion Kansas just slides into the group in their region. And it would be 32. Therefore I think Stanford knows they are getting a Big 10 invite once the final moves are made. They aren't done at 18. If they added N.D. or Kansas to the East then Stanford forms a 5 team division out west. If they add 4 to the East then Cal and Stanford form a 6 team division out west.
08-04-2023 08:29 PM
GoWulfPak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NC State
Bilas mentioned it a few years ago.

I like it...will prevent any ACC school from getting the blame of tearing up the conference. Will get the bigger brands a raise and ACC schools can still be packaged together via scheduling. Most importantly....security for the long term.
08-06-2023 07:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.