Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G Expansion hypothetical - Top prio targets if goal was to help Iowa/Wisc make CFP?
woomba Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan
B1G Expansion hypothetical - Top prio targets if goal was to help Iowa/Wisc make CFP?
I've been following r/cfb's Ranking the Top 131 FBS Programs of the Last 40 Years series and it looks like objectively the following teams are the Top 6 teams for the Big Ten (ranked order TBD)
  1. Ohio State
  2. Michigan
  3. Penn State
  4. Wisconsin
  5. Iowa
  6. Nebraska

As a thought exercise, if we posit that goal of any future expansion is to

1. Help all 6 teams listed above make the CFP more often (i.e. win more and help recruiting)
2. Be at least revenue neutral (ideally positive)

What are the schools that the Big Ten should target?

From this angle school like Oregon and Washington don't seem all that attractive. The list I get is

UNC
FSU
Miami
...ASU?

...that seems about it? What say you?
07-31-2023 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: B1G Expansion hypothetical - Top prio targets if goal was to help Iowa/Wisc make CFP?
Let me help you out here.

1. Ohio State's goal is to get Ohio State and Ohio State only to the CFP.
2. The only way to get Iowa or Wisconsin to the CFP is to invite the Kansas City Chiefs to the B1G and make Ohio State play them every week.
07-31-2023 08:38 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: B1G Expansion hypothetical - Top prio targets if goal was to help Iowa/Wisc make CFP?
Conferences don't expand on the basis of helping 2 random members make the CFP.
07-31-2023 08:40 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-31-2023 08:40 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Conferences don't expand on the basis of helping 2 random members make the CFP.

Nor on the basis of helping legacy members, random or otherwise. They may consider the possibility that a new member might increase the total revenue the league might earn from post season play in addition to their media value in assessing whether they would increase per school revenues. But it's hard to see any more schools not already in either the B1G or SEC that would increase the per school revenue of either those conferences.
07-31-2023 08:50 AM
Advertisement

clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
One would argue that if the B1G's objective was to help Iowa & Wisconsin make the CFP then their goal would have been to simply keep the status quo, not invite the LA schools and not ditching the East/West divisions where Iowa/Wisc could continue to get fat off Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Nebraska and Purdue every year.
07-31-2023 09:10 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-31-2023 08:28 AM)woomba Wrote:  I've been following r/cfb's Ranking the Top 131 FBS Programs of the Last 40 Years series and it looks like objectively the following teams are the Top 6 teams for the Big Ten (ranked order TBD)
  1. Ohio State
  2. Michigan
  3. Penn State
  4. Wisconsin
  5. Iowa
  6. Nebraska

As a thought exercise, if we posit that goal of any future expansion is to

1. Help all 6 teams listed above make the CFP more often (i.e. win more and help recruiting)
2. Be at least revenue neutral (ideally positive)

What are the schools that the Big Ten should target?

From this angle school like Oregon and Washington don't seem all that attractive. The list I get is

UNC
FSU
Miami
...ASU?

...that seems about it? What say you?

If Nebraska is rated #6 on a 40 year ranking, the metrics are garbage. Nebraska was comfortably ahead of any Big 10 team in the 80s and 90s and probably better than anyone but FSU and Miami. They haven't dropped enough to fall behind Wisconsin and Iowa.
07-31-2023 09:12 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
If we go by the reddit list, the Big Ten's priority should be to help the teams at the top of the list win a national championship. CFP's put money in the bank but long term a national championship would mean more in the Big Ten's battle vs. the SEC for college football legitimacy. And even if we are going from a Playoff standpoint and we assume a 12 team format where Ohio State and Michigan will be regulars, the next priority should be Penn State, the next closest, and make them a regular Playoff participant. Iowa and Nebraska are likely further away (especially Nebraska who was terrible under Scott Frost). The Big Ten's priority should then be to keep the Big Three happy which means more East, less West.
07-31-2023 09:13 AM
Advertisement

jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
The B1G wants UNC and VA. After that they may need to get to 20, but there are multiple options to do that adjacent to their footprint: Georgia Tech, Kansas, Miami, all AAU, and it is entirely likely that with UNC comes Duke, so after VA they would need one more. And that could be Stanford.
07-31-2023 09:34 AM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
The answer is no one the B1G could add to make it easier for Wisconsin and Iowa. Whatever they did would also help OSU, Michigan and Penn State to a larger degree. They already gave Wisconsin and Iowa all the help they could by putting OSU, Michigan and Penn State in the B1G East so they don't have to play all three of them every year. The only thing you could do was force the three top schools to destroy 30,000 seats in their stadium to level the massive financial advantage they have in gate receipts for 7 games a year or force them to share the revenue. If you want a better chance to make the CFP every year give Brett Yormark a call before Arizona does.
07-31-2023 09:48 AM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
I don't think the question should be who to add. I think it should be what to add. To give them the best chance, I think you add conference semis (especially if we expand beyond 16). Then you have 18-20 teams in the B1G/SEC fighting for the top 4 spots on Thanksgiving weekend rather than 14-16 teams fighting for 2 spots or 7 teams fighting for 1 spot. Get to the 4 team conference playoff and win a couple games against the top conference competition and earn a top 6 conference champ bid. Even losing in a close top 10-25 matchup could help a team's resume. Also allows conferences to earn additional revenue before the expanded CFP.
07-31-2023 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
Best chance = make OSU and Michigan ineligible for the league championship game. Both schools have done enough that a case could be made. Otherwise Wisconsin and Iowa should move leagues -AAC would provide a nice path, worked for Fickel at UC.
07-31-2023 11:48 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
The goal should be to get the BigTen's media payouts much higher than any other conference. That will raise the level of the entire conference and result in more at-large bids in a 12-team playoff.

So in that spirit. The 4 schools added should be

1. ND
2. Tex
3. Florida
4. UNC

This will increase Big Ten revenue but at the same time adds recent underperformers the same way Neb has been underperforming! Notice I did not pick Bama, Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma.
07-31-2023 06:04 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(07-31-2023 09:13 AM)schmolik Wrote:  If we go by the reddit list, the Big Ten's priority should be to help the teams at the top of the list win a national championship. CFP's put money in the bank but long term a national championship would mean more in the Big Ten's battle vs. the SEC for college football legitimacy. And even if we are going from a Playoff standpoint and we assume a 12 team format where Ohio State and Michigan will be regulars, the next priority should be Penn State, the next closest, and make them a regular Playoff participant. Iowa and Nebraska are likely further away (especially Nebraska who was terrible under Scott Frost). The Big Ten's priority should then be to keep the Big Three happy which means more East, less West.

And have USC be number 4
07-31-2023 08:19 PM
cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
I guess if you wanted to prop up Iowa and Wisconsin's records, you'd add a team like Nebraska that they could beat regularly.
07-31-2023 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.