Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mandel: Why conference realignment is the subject college football fans can't quit
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Mandel: Why conference realignment is the subject college football fans can't quit
Commentary by Stewart Mandel of The Athletic.

The commentary, in part:

Obviously, there have been just a few tiny developments on the realignment front over the last four years, and we’re going to further explore the consequences of the impending SEC and Big Ten moves and the present and future of the conference landscape. But we’re also going to dig deeper into the historical archives — because realignment, with all the accompanying backstabbing and maneuvering, is nearly as old as the sport itself.

And man do we have some stories.

Did you know that 60 years before the Pac-12’s current fight for survival, the conference’s precursor, the Pacific Coast Conference, did in fact implode? This is not the first time UCLA has left Oregon State and Washington State to fend for themselves.

Most history buffs know that Georgia Tech once belonged to the SEC. But how many know the Atlanta school at one point gained consideration by the Big Ten?

But lately, amid the past 12 months of endless Big 12/Pac-12 speculation, I’ve come to a new realization: Deep down, realignment is just another scoreboard.

For example, do Big 12 fans really care whether Arizona State or Colorado joins their conference? Texas and Oklahoma, they are not. Or is it more that these fans just want to be able to claim victory over someone, in this case the Pac-12, after a decade-plus of losing schools to others?

The Big Ten may never win national championships at the same rate as the SEC, but their fans can take pride in having the richer TV deal.

For years, Utah lorded its Power 5 membership over archrival BYU like a 10-year winning streak on the field. Now, Cougars fans are enjoying the schadenfreude of getting called up to a conference that is threatening to end Utah’s league’s existence.

Texas A&M getting an invite into the sport’s premier conference before Texas invoked such vitriol that the schools refused to play each other for 13 years. Texas landing its own SEC invite a decade later caused such indignity that A&M tried to derail it.

And then there’s the Group of 5 schools, for whom the wheels of realignment can serve as the ultimate form of validation. Here’s a golden ticket for you, TCU, and you, Cincinnati, and now, possibly, you, San Diego State and SMU. It’s graduation day. All your hard work paid off.

Or, it can be a cruel reminder of your lot in life. When the Big 12 in 2021 took three schools from the AAC, it set off a cascade of lower-FBS shuffling in which Conference USA lost half its members overnight. And there was a randomness to it. Middle Tennessee, a regular bowl participant for 17 years, became the poor guy still sitting in the green room at the end of draft night while Charlotte, a program not yet a decade into its existence, got to go up on stage and shake Roger Goodell’s hand.

Which brings us to the most pronounced theme of realignment: Its cold, hard ruthlessness.

It’s former WAC commissioner Karl Benson getting a call while moving his daughter into her college dorm room that Fresno State and Nevada were leaving for the Mountain West. It’s Sankey and the Big 12’s Bob Bowlsby working together to create a 12-team College Football Playoff with Sankey knowing he was about to pick off Texas and Oklahoma. It’s George Kliavkoff and Kevin Warren joining a handshake Alliance only for Warren to poach two Pac-12 schools 10 months later.

Excruciating moments for those figures on the front lines of the sport.

Endless fascination and entertainment for the rest of us.

https://theathletic.com/4662794/2023/07/...alignment/
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2023 06:15 AM by BeatWestern!.)
07-12-2023 06:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: Mandel: Why conference realignment is the subject college football fans can't quit
Can you share the highlights? I subscribe to too many streaming services and publications and don't need to break yet another paywall.
07-12-2023 07:07 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Mandel: Why conference realignment is the subject college football fans can't quit
Nothing new after reading the first paragraph, but I'd be curious to know if he had any unique takes that aren't immediately intuituve.

Frankly, I think the headaches are that nobody wants to wait until 2036... the sport just doesn't have that long unless there are some serious path corrections relatively soon. They need to figure out the playoff format and get this **** done so that fans can move on. It's going to be messy, no doubt.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 07:17 AM by RUScarlets.)
07-12-2023 07:16 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The author published a barrage of words, but the answer the question is:

- palace intrigue.
- angry letters
- secret meetings
- firings and resignations
- scoreboard for fans to declare win over other fans (e.g., Big Ten cannot beat the SEC on the filed but they can brag about their media deal)

Apparently the story kicks off a "The Athletic’s Realignment Revisited" series.
07-12-2023 07:22 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
Realignment is just fun. It isn't something any of us have direct control over, but we can all sit here all day tossing around ideas and theories. It also allows fans to chest thump their programs and brain storm the perfect scenarios it would take to reach the top.

Seeing programs like UCF that played its first season in 1996, was a winless MAC team in 2004, and now they are going to play in the Big XII. And you know what, they earned it. It gives the rest of us hope.

On the Power conference side, I actually find it enjoyable to watch all these programs and universities that think so highly of themselves athletically start to sweat as the blue bloods they have been leaching off of for years start to defect to other leagues. I know my alma mater has no shot at making it to a power league, so watching them cannibalize each other is cathartic. Reminds me of the "first time?" meme.
07-12-2023 07:25 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  ...It isn't something any of us have direct control over, but we can all sit here all day tossing around ideas and theories. ...

And college/sports administrators are surely gleaning ideas and arguments from us here, while sipping their bourbon. 04-wine
07-12-2023 07:35 AM
Advertisement

inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  Realignment is just fun.

It's fun until it's not fun.

But that drives interest as well.
07-12-2023 07:44 AM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
The only thing that is certain is uncertainty. We’re waiting for college football stability in an unstable world. Folly.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 08:01 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
07-12-2023 08:00 AM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  Realignment is just fun. It isn't something any of us have direct control over, but we can all sit here all day tossing around ideas and theories. It also allows fans to chest thump their programs and brain storm the perfect scenarios it would take to reach the top.

Seeing programs like UCF that played its first season in 1996, was a winless MAC team in 2004, and now they are going to play in the Big XII. And you know what, they earned it. It gives the rest of us hope.

On the Power conference side, I actually find it enjoyable to watch all these programs and universities that think so highly of themselves athletically start to sweat as the blue bloods they have been leaching off of for years start to defect to other leagues. I know my alma mater has no shot at making it to a power league, so watching them cannibalize each other is cathartic. Reminds me of the "first time?" meme.

(07-12-2023 07:35 AM)PlayBall! Wrote:  
(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  ...It isn't something any of us have direct control over, but we can all sit here all day tossing around ideas and theories. ...

And college/sports administrators are surely gleaning ideas and arguments from us here, while sipping their bourbon. 04-wine

Actually the administrator’s daughter’s boyfriend’s uncle’s barber.

So, yeah…word (from here!) just MIGHT get around… ;P
07-12-2023 08:10 AM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(07-12-2023 07:44 AM)inutech Wrote:  
(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  Realignment is just fun.

It's fun until it's not fun.

But that drives interest as well.

It’ll be more funner for LaTech after SDSU Boise and unlv go to pac-14 and leftover MW ends up merging with CUSA. But not until after AAC takes AirForce, Army and Colorado State to replace SMU.

Maybe both the Pac AND! the MW cease to exist in a few years???
07-12-2023 08:16 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Hey, who knew back in 1976 that was an all B1G final four ???
07-12-2023 09:17 PM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
Much interest in realignment is due to people simply wanting to see their schools get situated. You want to find out where you're going and get there.

Everybody wants to be in the position of a Michigan State or a Cornell. You're where you belong and you like it and that's that. Each year you get busy making more history.
07-13-2023 01:58 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-12-2023 09:17 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Hey, who knew back in 1976 that was an all B1G final four ???

I watched it. Bobby Knight time. You just never knew what he would do. And in 1976 people were sick of UCLA winning all the time, and Rutgers was the surprise, though they shouldn't have been. It was a great tournament.

What is realignment? Christians and Lions. The networks are the Emperor, the conferences are the Lions, and the schools are allegedly the Christians. Media is the arena. It's the Emperor who sponsors the carnage and the Conferences which get blamed. The schools just run for their lives.
07-13-2023 02:17 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-13-2023 02:17 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-12-2023 09:17 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Hey, who knew back in 1976 that was an all B1G final four ???

I watched it. Bobby Knight time. You just never knew what he would do. And in 1976 people were sick of UCLA winning all the time, and Rutgers was the surprise, though they shouldn't have been. It was a great tournament.

What is realignment? Christians and Lions. The networks are the Emperor, the conferences are the Lions, and the schools are allegedly the Christians. Media is the arena. It's the Emperor who sponsors the carnage and the Conferences which get blamed. The schools just run for their lives.

If someone had told us back in 1976 that as of 2023 Indiana would be the last team to win the title with an undefeated season, I don't think anyone would have believed it. They were so common back then, thanks to UCLA.
07-13-2023 06:52 AM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(07-12-2023 07:07 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Can you share the highlights? I subscribe to too many streaming services and publications and don't need to break yet another paywall.

I pay $1 a month for The Athletic.
07-15-2023 09:32 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-12-2023 07:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  Realignment is just fun. It isn't something any of us have direct control over, but we can all sit here all day tossing around ideas and theories. It also allows fans to chest thump their programs and brain storm the perfect scenarios it would take to reach the top.

Yeah, the problem is schools that have the less amount of history in football gets the called up while schools like Boise State with the 100 year of history in football gets left behind.
UCF and USF are the ones with less history, and not great football at times get moved ahead of Boise State or other schools in the MWC. Charlotte and UTSA have lesser time on field, and they got the call up over schools in the SBC, C-USA, FCS and the MAC who had programs a lot longer than those two.
07-15-2023 09:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(07-15-2023 09:44 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Yeah, the problem is schools that have the less amount of history in football gets the called up while schools like Boise State with the 100 year of history in football gets left behind.
UCF and USF are the ones with less history, and not great football at times get moved ahead of Boise State or other schools in the MWC. Charlotte and UTSA have lesser time on field, and they got the call up over schools in the SBC, C-USA, FCS and the MAC who had programs a lot longer than those two.

Boise State University was founded in 1932 as a junior college and played its first season in football the next year. Its football program is 90 years old, but only 53 of those years have been representing a four-year university, whereas the University of Houston was founded in 1927 and even though its football program was founded in 1946, it was ten years after Houston went from being a two-year school to a four year school, AND it only spent four seasons in Div. II. Houston's been Div. I since 1950.

Source: Boise State Broncos football Wikipedia page., Houston Cougars football Wikipedia page.

Please, for the love of God, learn your history.
07-15-2023 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
(07-15-2023 09:44 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

How does Boise State have a 100 year history in FB when the school was started in 1932 as a JUCO?

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2023 12:55 PM by Garden_KC.)
07-15-2023 12:54 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(07-12-2023 06:22 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Commentary by Stewart Mandel of The Athletic.

The commentary, in part:

Obviously, there have been just a few tiny developments on the realignment front over the last four years, and we’re going to further explore the consequences of the impending SEC and Big Ten moves and the present and future of the conference landscape. But we’re also going to dig deeper into the historical archives — because realignment, with all the accompanying backstabbing and maneuvering, is nearly as old as the sport itself.

And man do we have some stories.

Did you know that 60 years before the Pac-12’s current fight for survival, the conference’s precursor, the Pacific Coast Conference, did in fact implode? This is not the first time UCLA has left Oregon State and Washington State to fend for themselves.

Most history buffs know that Georgia Tech once belonged to the SEC. But how many know the Atlanta school at one point gained consideration by the Big Ten?

But lately, amid the past 12 months of endless Big 12/Pac-12 speculation, I’ve come to a new realization: Deep down, realignment is just another scoreboard.

For example, do Big 12 fans really care whether Arizona State or Colorado joins their conference? Texas and Oklahoma, they are not. Or is it more that these fans just want to be able to claim victory over someone, in this case the Pac-12, after a decade-plus of losing schools to others?

The Big Ten may never win national championships at the same rate as the SEC, but their fans can take pride in having the richer TV deal.

For years, Utah lorded its Power 5 membership over archrival BYU like a 10-year winning streak on the field. Now, Cougars fans are enjoying the schadenfreude of getting called up to a conference that is threatening to end Utah’s league’s existence.

Texas A&M getting an invite into the sport’s premier conference before Texas invoked such vitriol that the schools refused to play each other for 13 years. Texas landing its own SEC invite a decade later caused such indignity that A&M tried to derail it.

And then there’s the Group of 5 schools, for whom the wheels of realignment can serve as the ultimate form of validation. Here’s a golden ticket for you, TCU, and you, Cincinnati, and now, possibly, you, San Diego State and SMU. It’s graduation day. All your hard work paid off.

Or, it can be a cruel reminder of your lot in life. When the Big 12 in 2021 took three schools from the AAC, it set off a cascade of lower-FBS shuffling in which Conference USA lost half its members overnight. And there was a randomness to it. Middle Tennessee, a regular bowl participant for 17 years, became the poor guy still sitting in the green room at the end of draft night while Charlotte, a program not yet a decade into its existence, got to go up on stage and shake Roger Goodell’s hand.

Which brings us to the most pronounced theme of realignment: Its cold, hard ruthlessness.

It’s former WAC commissioner Karl Benson getting a call while moving his daughter into her college dorm room that Fresno State and Nevada were leaving for the Mountain West. It’s Sankey and the Big 12’s Bob Bowlsby working together to create a 12-team College Football Playoff with Sankey knowing he was about to pick off Texas and Oklahoma. It’s George Kliavkoff and Kevin Warren joining a handshake Alliance only for Warren to poach two Pac-12 schools 10 months later.

Excruciating moments for those figures on the front lines of the sport.

Endless fascination and entertainment for the rest of us.

https://theathletic.com/4662794/2023/07/...alignment/

That makes for a fun bullet point to support his position, but our BoR actually voted 8-1 in favor of adding UT to the SEC. If we had somehow successfully killed that move, then it would have significantly weakened the SEC long term, much as Stanford's tanking of UT-to-the-Pac in 1990 significantly weakened the Pac long term.
07-15-2023 01:08 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(07-12-2023 07:16 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Nothing new after reading the first paragraph, but I'd be curious to know if he had any unique takes that aren't immediately intuituve.

Frankly, I think the headaches are that nobody wants to wait until 2036... the sport just doesn't have that long unless there are some serious path corrections relatively soon. They need to figure out the playoff format and get this **** done so that fans can move on. It's going to be messy, no doubt.

The whole point is that we won't move on. If we ever actually do move on, then the sport might be in trouble. Unless and until that day happens, any crazy Realignment Drama in the off season is great for CFB overall. For a long time, it was the big 12's turn to get picked apart. The g5s always have churn, from above as teams get considered to move up and from below as teams seek to break in. Now it's the Pac's turn at the big 12 torture wheel. The ACC is next. The P2 are currently in a happy place, but that can change very quickly. What if Nebraska actually moves to the SEC? What if ND, UNC, Clemson and FSU go to the B1G? These things can change quite rapidly, and it keeps CFB fans everywhere engaged.
07-15-2023 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.