Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Raytheon to bring engineers out of retirement to fulfill Biden*s order for Stinger mi
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Raytheon to bring engineers out of retirement to fulfill Biden*s order for Stinger mi
Quote:US defense manufacturer Raytheon is reportedly bringing retirees back on the job to help make enough missiles to aid the war effort in Ukraine. While the Pentagon hasn't bought Stinger missiles in decades, those are precisely the weapons that Ukraine is wanting.

"Stinger's been out of production for 20 years, and all of a sudden in the first 48 hours [of the war], it's the star of the show and everybody wants more," said Wes Kremer of Raytheon at the Paris Air Show last week, according to Defense One.

"We were bringing back retired employees that are in their 70s … to teach our new employees how to actually build a Stinger," he went on to say. "We're pulling test equipment out of warehouses and blowing the spider webs off of them."

The US has already provided 2,000 heat-seeking Stinger missiles to Ukrainian forces. Those forces use them to shoot down Russian planes and aircraft. Biden wants to send even more of these to Ukraine, and recently said that he would send cluster bombs as well. Use of cluster bombs was called a "war crime" by his administration in February 2022, but Biden justified the move by saying that Ukraine is "running out of ammunition."

CEO of RTX Greg Hayes, which manages Raytheon, said that in addition to the ramp-up in production, there are changes being made to the Stingers. "We're redesigning circuit cards [and] redesigning some of the componetry," he said, noting that this "just takes a long time."

They need to build the weapons the same way they were built in their heyday or else face a new weapons certification process. This is a process that entails actually installing the nose cone of the missiles by hand. To automate the process would require a redesign and a redesign would trigger a new approvals process.

A Russian defense contractor recently switched their entire manufacturing operation to produce only tanks, offloading their other contracts for trains and civilian equipment to other companies.

The US Army placed an order for 1,700 Stinger missiles in May 2022, but the Pentagon said at the time that it would take 4 years, or about 30 months, for those weapons to be delivered. This is "largely because of the time it takes to set up the factory and train its employees," Defense One reports.

Link
07-11-2023 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Raytheon to bring engineers out of retirement to fulfill Biden*s order for Stinger mi
I think if this war in Ukraine has taught us anything is the importance of stockpiling what I would call more "simple" ammunition. Hypersonic and advanced missile's are great, but they are expensive and in limited supply. Cheaper ammunition like stinger's and even older 155 artillery rounds in a long protracted war still have a place on today's battlefield. I hope our military knows this and is making appropriate moves all across the board with manufacturing.
07-11-2023 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Raytheon to bring engineers out of retirement to fulfill Biden*s order for Stinger mi
This is kinda the type of thing I was talking about when I say the announced cost of the aid to Ukraine is often vastly overstated as the weapons were about to be considered no longer useable anyway and were scheduled to be replaced. We moved up the time table a few years is all that really happened.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-...eplacement
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2023 10:08 AM by Attackcoog.)
07-11-2023 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.