Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 MAC Football - Team Strengths
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
2023 MAC Football - Team Strengths
Do fellow MAC fans agree with this tweet regarding their team's top positional strength?

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2023 05:12 PM by epasnoopy.)
07-06-2023 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

RE: 2023 MAC Football - Team Strengths
I find it interesting that most of the team strengths are defense, according to this tweet.

There's usually only maybe two or three good defenses in the MAC, as we are usually a very offense heavy league. Very rarely do you see 17-10 type games in MAC play and definitely not in OOC play.

I disagree with NIU's team strength. While Rocky is our best player (and he happens to be our QB), I don't think the rest of our QBs are strengths. So I think we have little depth at QB and a team strength to me means you have more than one good player at a single position. I'd say RB or DT is our team strength.
07-06-2023 05:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
masttg Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
That's a fair assessment for EMU.
07-06-2023 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Bowling Green's defensive line was a strength last year. With Karl Brooks gone? I guess we'll find out.
07-06-2023 08:02 PM
WesternDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
That twitter account is not very good IMO. Lot of clickbait and no substance.
07-06-2023 09:01 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(07-06-2023 09:01 PM)WesternDave Wrote:  That twitter account is not very good IMO. Lot of clickbait and no substance.

I don't mind it. At least they talk about our schools. It's not like anyone on ESPN (our TV partner) is writing much about our schools.
07-06-2023 09:10 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Big Game Booger is pure clickbait. Everything he does is designed to drive engagement, such as posting hot takes and poorly researched lists and rankings so that people get all riled up.

He also has a personal vendetta against WMU for some reason.
07-06-2023 10:09 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(07-06-2023 04:59 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Do fellow MAC fans agree with this tweet regarding their team's top positional strength?

What happened to MACaction? At least half the teams have the strongest position on the defensive side.
07-07-2023 09:11 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(07-07-2023 09:11 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(07-06-2023 04:59 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Do fellow MAC fans agree with this tweet regarding their team's top positional strength?

What happened to MACaction? At least half the teams have the strongest position on the defensive side.

Who gets the most hype during MACtion? High powered offensive players... They are mostly transferring if they show out. Toledo can't seem to keep a WR corps together and even dudes like Blankumsee and Landers who score 4TDs but show potential, leave.

That creates defenses with less to stop, hence better statistical defenses.

Toledos D was pretty good last season. We played like 1.5 okay QBs last year. Ohio State played perfect but put up 77 on us. The defenses are comparatively better than a decade ago, but probably not in actual skill.
07-07-2023 02:17 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(07-07-2023 02:17 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Who gets the most hype during MACtion? High powered offensive players... They are mostly transferring if they show out. Toledo can't seem to keep a WR corps together and even dudes like Blankumsee and Landers who score 4TDs but show potential, leave.

Toledos D was pretty good last season. We played like 1.5 okay QBs last year. Ohio State played perfect but put up 77 on us. The defenses are comparatively better than a decade ago, but probably not in actual skill.
Kent State was 5-7 and should’ve been better than that, but a couple kids seemed to take plays or even games off with minor dings to rest up for the portal. They lost 3 WRs (Penn State, UNC and West Virginia), the QB to UCLA, 2 linemen to Colorado and another to UCF and their head coach to Colorado as an OC. So yeah, the MAC will continue to be the feeder to the bigger programs when they want our players. They know longer have to take a chance on a borderline kid to come in and sit a year or two get sick of sitting so they transfer to us to play. Instead they come to us out of high school, play right away, and when deemed able to produce they’ll just poach them to fill holes like free agency.
07-07-2023 05:16 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2023 05:16 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(07-07-2023 02:17 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Kent State was 5-7 and should’ve been better than that, but a couple kids seemed to take plays or even games off with minor dings to rest up for the portal. They lost 3 WRs (Penn State, UNC and West Virginia), the QB to UCLA, 2 linemen to Colorado and another to UCF and their head coach to Colorado as an OC. So yeah, the MAC will continue to be the feeder to the bigger programs when they want our players. They know longer have to take a chance on a borderline kid to come in and sit a year or two get sick of sitting so they transfer to us to play. Instead they come to us out of high school, play right away, and when deemed able to produce they’ll just poach them to fill holes like free agency.

Toledo has benefited from portal guys who UT looked at in H.S. but the kid went to a P5, THEN later transfered to UT because we stayed strong in our effort/attention of said player (Gleason, Cullpepper).

We have also had FCS move ups who helped the program but UT was just a stop on their upward trajectory. I have a feeling players who fall back to G5s stay more loyal than the D2, Juco, and FCS move ups.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2023 06:55 PM by UofToledoFans.)
07-09-2023 06:54 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I get why WMU fans are sensitive towards BGB as the man running that account clearly has a public bias against WMU and skews his rankings for them accordingly.
07-10-2023 06:11 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
What does it matter? A team strength could still be bad relative to other teams.
07-11-2023 09:17 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-11-2023 09:17 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  What does it matter? A team strength could still be bad relative to other teams.

Yep. I don't expect a good DL at the FCS level to give a mediocre OL at the FBS much trouble. A truly depleted an injured OL maybe... TOLEDOs DL was awesome for my standards but didn't get pressure on Ohio State at all in 2022.

Kent States strengths will mirror weaknesses at most other positions in the MAC in 2023 I'd guess.
07-11-2023 10:39 AM
WesternDave Offline
1st String

(07-06-2023 10:09 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Big Game Booger is pure clickbait. Everything he does is designed to drive engagement, such as posting hot takes and poorly researched lists and rankings so that people get all riled up.

He also has a personal vendetta against WMU for some reason.

It was driving clicks, nothing more. There is a decent enough WMU twitter following to get him to troll WMU, nothing more. ChatGPT could likely run a better twitter account.
07-12-2023 01:57 PM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
CMUs' DL is probably it's biggest proven strength. We'll see though.
07-13-2023 06:37 AM
Warhawks222 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Payday & Friday
(07-13-2023 06:37 AM)CMichFan Wrote:  CMUs' DL is probably its biggest proven strength. We'll see though.

We thought our QB was going to be a strength last year. And look how that turned out. 03-weeping
07-13-2023 08:11 AM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
(07-13-2023 08:11 AM)Warhawks222 Wrote:  
(07-13-2023 06:37 AM)CMichFan Wrote:  CMUs' DL is probably its biggest proven strength. We'll see though.

We thought our QB was going to be a strength last year. And look how that turned out. 03-weeping

Lots of factors there. New QB coach/OC (biggest reason, IMO); loss of veteran, talented WRs; OL regressing (OTs to NFL and coaching change); Lew's gimpy ankle ( 03-weeping ). Changes on the coaching staff and better health should help.
07-15-2023 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.