Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 to play Friday Night games
Tulsa Guy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
Big 12 to play Friday Night games
BIG 12 TO PLAY FOOTBALL GAMES ON FRIDAY NIGHTS
Heartland College Sports by Bryan Clinton, June 30, 2023

According to a report from Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, the Big 12 will begin playing football games on weekdays, including Friday nights as part of the new media rights deal that runs through 2031.

As part of Commissioner Brett Yormark's greater vision, the change to playing games on weekdays should come as no surprise. As the most progressive and forward thinking commissioner since taking over the reins last summer, Yormark has done everything in his power to push the limits of what the Big 12 can do.

It is also worth noting that the Big 12 playing games on Friday nights will cut into a television window that has previously been dominated by the PAC-12.

Is this tactic to directly cut into PAC-12 success? Not necessarily but it could do just that.

While it's still too early to pronounce the PAC-12 officially dead, the conference cannot be too thrilled about that news.
07-02-2023 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big 12 to play Friday Night games
Nothing wrong with Friday night football.
07-02-2023 09:35 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I'm fine with it.
07-02-2023 09:37 AM
Glenn360 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
The ACC, Big Ten, & Pac-12 have had a few Friday Night games sprinkled on the schedule throughout the past few years, but to stoke the "Big-12 vs Pac-12" flame war this writer will say its a window that's been "dominated by the Pac-12" which isn't true.

As far as the Big 12, I wonder if the Texas schools would be okay with playing a game on Friday Night, because of how big HS Football is in the state?
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2023 09:47 AM by Glenn360.)
07-02-2023 09:38 AM
CFBLurker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa,Oklahoma
It's the spiritual descendant of the Big East conference. I believe it's likely that the biggest game of the week ends up on weeknights for ESPN and probably Fox puts content up on weeknights on FS1
07-02-2023 09:42 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Might not be easy competing against high school football, especially in Texas.
07-02-2023 09:48 AM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I was originally a traditionalist that wanted HS to have its own night, but it just doesn’t work anymore. There is too much money left on the table giving school kids their own night. If they are serious about football, continue playing in college or give it up and hit the books. There is no reason why school kids deserve a standalone night from a business perspective. Parents and fans have to make a decision to watch kids in their local communities or watch big time semi-professional FBS games, but the two aren’t mutually exclusive.
07-02-2023 10:20 AM
maybeimhere Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
Tons of Texas high schools play on Saturdays and Thursdays. Friday still has the most games but it's not the only day anymore.
07-02-2023 10:31 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-02-2023 09:38 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  The ACC, Big Ten, & Pac-12 have had a few Friday Night games sprinkled on the schedule throughout the past few years, but to stoke the "Big-12 vs Pac-12" flame war this writer will say its a window that's been "dominated by the Pac-12" which isn't true.

As far as the Big 12, I wonder if the Texas schools would be okay with playing a game on Friday Night, because of how big HS Football is in the state?

I suspect they will play the fewest. BYU will probably not be reluctant.
07-02-2023 10:34 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I love Friday night football games, but let's face it, this is a sign of lesser status.
07-02-2023 10:35 AM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(07-02-2023 10:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I love Friday night football games, but let's face it, this is a sign of lesser status.

Agreed. If it gets them a little extra money, good for them, but it’s hardly a visionary move by Yormark, in spite of the hagiographic write up.
07-02-2023 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
This is a good move for exposure and one that doesn’t surprise me a bit. I just how they don’t over do it. Stick to one game a week (except the first and last weeks of the season). Make being picked for the Friday slot feel special.
07-02-2023 10:59 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-02-2023 10:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I love Friday night football games, but let's face it, this is a sign of lesser status.

Unless its some massive increase in games, its a non-story. The Big 10 played a few Thursday and Friday games last year----both the Pac12 and ACC played Thursday and Friday games in 2022.....and last year---the Big 12 was playing some Friday night games----so, this is not new among the P5 nor is it new for the Big12. The story is basically a nothing burger---click bait at best.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2023 11:06 AM by Attackcoog.)
07-02-2023 11:05 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

So the Big Ten's Friday night football games is a sign of lesser status?
07-02-2023 11:12 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
ESPN and Fox have to justify $31.7M per school. That means they need another Big 12 broadcast window. The Pac-12 blew them off in the exclusive window, so neither --especially ESPN-- is relying on them anymore for P5 content on Friday Night.

Note, this cuts further into the value of the Pac-12. The only slot of any interest to ESPN is the Saturday after dark, and it is only as generic P5, not a marquee game. How much is that worth over a random MWC game?

This is what I meant about the Pac-12 seeing potential media partners finding alternative programming every week this thing drags out, lowering their market value.
07-02-2023 11:33 AM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(07-02-2023 09:04 AM)Tulsa Guy Wrote:  BIG 12 TO PLAY FOOTBALL GAMES ON FRIDAY NIGHTS
Heartland College Sports by Bryan Clinton, June 30, 2023

According to a report from Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, the Big 12 will begin playing football games on weekdays, including Friday nights as part of the new media rights deal that runs through 2031.

As part of Commissioner Brett Yormark's greater vision, the change to playing games on weekdays should come as no surprise. As the most progressive and forward thinking commissioner since taking over the reins last summer, Yormark has done everything in his power to push the limits of what the Big 12 can do.

It is also worth noting that the Big 12 playing games on Friday nights will cut into a television window that has previously been dominated by the PAC-12.

Is this tactic to directly cut into PAC-12 success? Not necessarily but it could do just that.

While it's still too early to pronounce the PAC-12 officially dead, the conference cannot be too thrilled about that news.

More reason to have PST games as PST games as those Friday night games at 7:00 or 7:30 against the PAC
07-02-2023 11:44 AM
Advertisement

bk1714 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(07-02-2023 11:33 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  ESPN and Fox have to justify $31.7M per school. That means they need another Big 12 broadcast window. The Pac-12 blew them off in the exclusive window, so neither --especially ESPN-- is relying on them anymore for P5 content on Friday Night.

Note, this cuts further into the value of the Pac-12. The only slot of any interest to ESPN is the Saturday after dark, and it is only as generic P5, not a marquee game. How much is that worth over a random MWC game?

This is what I meant about the Pac-12 seeing potential media partners finding alternative programming every week this thing drags out, lowering their market value.

Of course ESPN doesn't have the MWC either. Right now they are limited to BYU games. I might have to get used to turning it over to FS1 and falling asleep to a MWC game instead.
07-02-2023 11:47 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
I'm not sure whats supposed to be new about this? The B12 was already playing THU and Friday games prior to this. (As were other major conferences) Baylor and WVU drew over 1million on a Thursday game last year.
07-02-2023 11:47 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-02-2023 11:12 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

So the Big Ten's Friday night football games is a sign of lesser status?

Yeah, I think so. IIRC, excluding special weekends like opening weekend, Thanksgiving, or CCG week, the B1G only played on Friday a couple of weeks, and those games were, well, dump games nobody wanted.

And also, IMO this is kind of like an old story in academia: If you're a distinguished full professor and you wear sneakers and jeans and Hawaiian shirts to a conference, well that's just part of what makes you an eccentric genius. If you're a brand new assistant professor with no accomplishments, it means you're a slob. So it's one of those situations where once your bona-fides are established, the meaning changes.

The nB12's bona-fides aren't established, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2023 12:06 PM by quo vadis.)
07-02-2023 11:54 AM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(07-02-2023 09:35 AM)No Bull Wrote:  Nothing wrong with Friday night football.

In Texas? Yes there is.
07-02-2023 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.