Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WILL NEW FBS Requirements cause new/quicker additions??
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WILL NEW FBS Requirements cause new/quicker additions??
Now what?
(06-28-2023 01:55 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  As expected, new requirements working their way through NCAA legislative process…

If adopted, all FBS schools would be required to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across at least 16 sports, including football. Schools also would be required to offer at least 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million in athletics scholarships offered.

These requirements would take effect Aug. 1, 2027, for existing FBS members and for schools already transitioning to FBS membership. Moving forward, for schools applying to transition to FBS beginning in 2024-25 and thereafter, the requirements would have to be met by the end of the two-year transition process.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/28/medi...hools.aspx

AND>>>

-- increased 5 million dollar entry fee for FBS--the way I read it-that is effective immediately-unless already in transition

-- new requirements for health and safety; including increased mental health and life skills services

IMO these changes will NOT cause any immediate changes in the attitude of schools moving up.

BUT-- it could get some "off the fence".

Some may decide to forget it.

Others may speed up their study process quite a bit.

Overall the effect of the PAC media deal--if it ever happens--- and the resulting dominoes will be a larger influence.

STILL---to say this will not "shake up" a few would be naive.

*These proposals have not met final approval--but usually by the time they get this far--they pass easily.

THOUGHTS? What are the effects of this "shake-out" on realignment??
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 06:19 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
06-28-2023 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

RE: WILL NEW FBS Requirements cause new/quicker additions??
I'll go ahead and say it for inutech---We don't have to add anyone--we are at ten.
06-28-2023 06:10 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
My HOPE is that this expedites the scramble to improve facilities and rally fan support among the CUSA hopefuls (and fingers crossed that this provides UD or UTC with a sense of urgency). Get your house in order, and then we’ll see how the conference feels about going to 12 (or get back to 10) before this fee is implemented.

The SBC or AAC won’t be taking any of our FCS candidates anytime soon. Stay at 10, see how things pan out in the two plus years before this gets close, then determine if there are candidates that make sense for CUSA. The same schools will be there.

If nobody is worth adding and the time has passed, then so be it. They’ll just have to come up with the $5m to join us eventually. And I’m sure they will. In the meantime. Fewer schools to share the pot with.
06-28-2023 07:28 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
(06-28-2023 06:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  I'll go ahead and say it for inutech---We don't have to add anyone--we are at ten.
WE (the majority of this board) want to stay there. But does CUSA? Seems like the realignment/expansion rumors keep churning.
06-28-2023 07:30 PM
Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UGA & Kennesaw State
(06-28-2023 07:30 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  
(06-28-2023 06:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  I'll go ahead and say it for inutech---We don't have to add anyone--we are at ten.
WE (the majority of this board) want to stay there. But does CUSA? Seems like the realignment/expansion rumors keep churning.

10 is fine until it turns into 8 or 9.. It's naive to think the trickle down realignment doesn't eventually hit CUSA again. The difference in expanding now or waiting until you have to, is getting the schools and locations you prefer or having to pick from only those that can afford it..

I will add, every media executive that speaks on deals and realignment says 12 or above is where they prefer conferences to be.. There is a reason ESPN pushed both the AAC and SBC to expand to 14. They want plenty of inventory.
06-28-2023 09:29 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(06-28-2023 09:29 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  

10 is fine until it turns into 8 or 9.. It's naive to think the trickle down realignment doesn't eventually hit CUSA again. The difference in expanding now or waiting until you have to, is getting the schools and locations you prefer or having to pick from only those that can afford it..

I will add, every media executive that speaks on deals and realignment says 12 or above is where they prefer conferences to be.. There is a reason ESPN pushed both the AAC and SBC to expand to 14. They want plenty of inventory.

I mean honestly our tv deal was a good one and I don’t think we need to add more for the same price.
06-28-2023 09:56 PM
Advertisement

jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(06-28-2023 09:56 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

I mean honestly our tv deal was a good one and I don’t think we need to add more for the same price.

I think we should go to 16 schools add the WAC/ASUN schools UNA, EKU, AP, Utah Tech etc. 03-lmfao
06-29-2023 05:54 AM
3DogNight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, Clemson

I think that this is the reason that most mention anything about expansion. I don't think it has anything to do with expanding just to be expanding. If every current school is all in on CUSA and wouldn't think about leaving, I'd be very comfortable staying at 10. But honestly, I'm not that naive.

What if UTEP and NMSU were to leave for the MWC. Does that spook WKU enough that they decide to reach out to the MAC? Would MTSU then change their mind about the MAC? If that were to happen, what happens to the 6 that would remain? Six isn't enough to be a conference. So, do we call up the first 2 schools who can afford it and who will say yes? Maybe spreading out the conference even farther. Or do we disband and either go independent (losing your bowl tie ins, automatic qualifying and other conference benefits), hope another conference comes calling, or for some, maybe go back to FCS.

Expanding just to expand isn't something that I would want. I personally think that many of the conferences are already bloated, and some are wanting even more schools added to their respective conference. I don't see the benefits of having 16 or 20 members. For me, that's just too many. I'm just speaking for myself, but I think 12 would be a good number. It's not too big, but big enough to cover unforeseen exits that could occur.
06-29-2023 10:42 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(06-28-2023 09:29 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  The difference in expanding now or waiting until you have to, is getting the schools and locations you prefer or having to pick from only those that can afford it..

Is it, though?

Do we prefer the schools that couldn't meet this requirements?
06-29-2023 12:16 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(06-29-2023 12:16 PM)inutech Wrote:  
(06-28-2023 09:29 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  The difference in expanding now or waiting until you have to, is getting the schools and locations you prefer or having to pick from only those that can afford it..

Is it, though?

Now would be the time to snag Delaware.
06-29-2023 01:19 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Is it, though?

Agree. By the way--that poster is not even a fan of a CUSA team.
06-29-2023 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

Is it, though?

Depends...A (for example only) Utah Tech happens to have the 5m and (for example only) Missouri State says the 5m puts them out of contention, would that be great for the rest of the conference in Olympic sports travel costs?
06-29-2023 01:26 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
I wasn’t a fan of adding “in case someone leaves” because we could always find someone willing to move up if need be. But with a $5,000,000 fee it might be harder in the future to do so.
06-29-2023 01:27 PM
Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

(06-29-2023 01:22 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  

Is it, though?

Agree. By the way--that poster is not even a fan of a CUSA team.

I'm a Kennesaw State grad..And I haven't figured out how to edit the "I root for" part of my profile. Attended both schools, long before KSU had football..
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2023 01:39 PM by Tmac13.)
06-29-2023 01:28 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I stand corrected KSU fan.

Someone more knowledgeable-- please give Tmac13 some advice on how to edit the "I root for" part of his profile.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2023 02:12 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
06-29-2023 01:57 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

IMO CUSA has a Very short list of schools they would add Today June 29th, 2023--but those are either unwilling or not ready yet.

They have a second list of schools they are not as interested in adding---BUT would add if put in a situation of need based on various events.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2023 02:13 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
06-29-2023 02:07 PM
Advertisement

whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(06-29-2023 01:28 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  I'm a Kennesaw State grad..And I haven't figured out how to edit the "I root for" part of my profile. Attended both schools, long before KSU had football..

While logged in, go here: https://csnbbs.com/usercp.php?action=profile

I too attended Kennesaw (College) long before they had football. But I had the fortune of having found Jacksonville State before being turned to the dark side. 03-wink
06-29-2023 02:15 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(06-29-2023 01:19 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Is it, though?

Now would be the time to snag Delaware.

I don't want Delaware.

(06-29-2023 01:27 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  I wasn’t a fan of adding “in case someone leaves” because we could always find someone willing to move up if need be. But with a $5,000,000 fee it might be harder in the future to do so.

I mean, maybe?

I remain in the "don't invite anyone until you need them" camp (including KSU, although that ship has sailed and possibly we did "need" them for that awesome media deal we ended up stuck with).

But yeah, the "anyone interested today will still be interested in a year or two or five" argument that I've made many times does assume "anyone interested and able" which could change if it becomes harder to move up.

I think we have to trust (because they've done so much to earn it) that those making the decisions are aware of when/if this is really a factor for prospective additions or not. My assumption is not so much, or at least that the risk isn't worth being saddled with more schools before we have to have them. But I recognize that I'm saying that as an expansion skeptic (to put it mildly).
06-29-2023 03:01 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2023 02:15 PM)whupemall Wrote:  
(06-29-2023 01:28 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  I'm a Kennesaw State grad..And I haven't figured out how to edit the "I root for" part of my profile. Attended both schools, long before KSU had football..

While logged in, go here: https://csnbbs.com/usercp.php?action=profile

I too attended Kennesaw (College) long before they had football. But I had the fortune of having found Jacksonville State before being turned to the dark side. 03-wink

If that doesn’t work just click you name in the top right twice and hit edit profile on the left.
06-30-2023 11:05 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

What will it take for all these KSU fans to drop their other team for KSU? I think I’ve seen 3 or 4 fans but only Jones is exclusive to KSU.
06-30-2023 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.