Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fan bases that are SOOOOOO MUCH alike! I’ll start!….
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
Rolleyes Fan bases that are SOOOOOO MUCH alike! I’ll start!….
Fresno State and East Carolina!!!

Their(our) teams GREATLY EXCEED what they should(?), and their fan bases are larger that the ones getting called up to, and being mentioned for, P5 additions!!!!!!!!!

But merit don’t mean chit in this sports network corporate driven college football world we have today!!

A day late, and a dollar short! But ECU and Fresno will still keep kicking your axxes more times than not!!!!

And we both have that crazy azz, big azz moniker at mid field! And we both scare the chit and beat frequently our in-state P5 opponents!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2023 10:13 PM by Fresno Fanatic.)
06-15-2023 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Fan bases that are SOOOOOO MUCH alike! I’ll start!….
Sigh. This again. Neither of you is in SoCal. Neither of you is a Flagship. Neither AAU. Either of you would be, by far, the weakest school Academically in the entire P5. Use ARWU, USN&WR, SAT, smell test, whatever, the Academics just aren't there. Neither of you has had the type of sustained success that UCF and Boise have had in recent decades. Both schools have below-average Athletics revenues for their Conference. You both pull about 40k fans per game, a nice number for the g5, but that would also be near the bottom of the P5.

One thing that Fresno St definitely has is a wonderful proficiency with punctuation!!!!!!!!
06-15-2023 10:14 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Michigan and Notre Dame.

They think that they do things completely different from the rest of college football with a certain amount of sophistication, class and ethics (whereas supposedly their rivals of Ohio State and USC are always dirty cheaters) despite being as cold and ruthless in wins and losses as anyone. At the same time, they pretend that they don’t care about each other (e.g. “We’re totally not rivals”) and are above caring about the Michigan-ND game (e.g. “We don’t care if we ever play that game again”), but then are as absolutely vicious to each other as you’ll see any two fans bases when they play.

They are the public and private school mirrors of one another.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2023 10:20 PM by Frank the Tank.)
06-15-2023 10:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2023 10:14 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Sigh. This again. Neither of you is in SoCal. Neither of you is a Flagship. Neither AAU. Either of you would be, by far, the weakest school Academically in the entire P5. Use ARWU, USN&WR, SAT, smell test, whatever, the Academics just aren't there. Neither of you has had the type of sustained success that UCF and Boise have had in recent decades. Both schools have below-average Athletics revenues for their Conference. You both pull about 40k fans per game, a nice number for the g5, but that would also be near the bottom of the P5.

One thing that Fresno St definitely has is a wonderful proficiency with punctuation!!!!!!!!

Actually Fresno state and ECU average in the top 60 in attendance. Hhhhmm, there are 69 “power” conference teams….

Also, We’ve beaten Boise TWICE in the last 4 years we’ve faced off for the MWC CCG! AND ON THE BLUE TURF, to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>PUNCTUATION FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 06:24 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
06-15-2023 10:23 PM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2023 10:20 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Michigan and Notre Dame.

They think that they do things completely different from the rest of college football with a certain amount of sophistication, class and ethics (whereas supposedly their rivals of Ohio State and USC are always dirty cheaters) despite being as cold and ruthless in wins and losses as anyone. At the same time, they pretend that they don’t care about each other (e.g. “We’re totally not rivals”) and are above caring about the Michigan-ND game (e.g. “We don’t care if we ever play that game again”), but then are as absolutely vicious to each other as you’ll see any two fans bases when they play.

Nice take! FtT!

That’s what I’m talkin about!
06-15-2023 11:12 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Alabama & Texas!!!! Definitely two.peas in a pod!! Apologies to poster ATU who represents 'Bama well IMO, but for the most part, these two believe that they are "God's gift to college football." I disagree.

On flip side of the coin, I would have UGA and Texas A&M the most alike. Work hard, play hard, don't be a pain in the butt!!
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 12:47 AM by DawgNBama.)
06-16-2023 12:43 AM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
Cincinnati and UCF.

They both stumbled into the Six Gun Saloon for the first time and got giddy on their first strawberry daiquiris. Now they're shouting smack at all the gunfighters, challenging any and all to step outside for a manly game of hopscotch.

[Image: yul-brynner-westworld-4134335.webp?r=1655762336959]
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 01:06 AM by Gitanole.)
06-16-2023 12:45 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-16-2023 12:45 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  Cincinnati and UCF.

They both stumbled into the Six Gun Saloon for the first time and got giddy on their first strawberry daiquiris. Now they're shouting smack at all the gunfighters, challenging any and all to step outside for a manly game of hopscotch.

[Image: yul-brynner-westworld-4134335.webp?r=1655762336959]

Eh, I see what you are saying but not really. UC’s fan base is much more established, especially when you consider the school’s basketball history. Also, UC’s fan base is much more blue collar.

The other thing is while we have some fans that like to toot our own horn, we have many that I would describe as sad-sacks. UCF does not have many of those. All you would to do is go to one of our boards and you can easily spot them.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 06:57 AM by CliftonAve.)
06-16-2023 03:42 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos

05-mafia
06-16-2023 06:20 AM
Bobcats2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TXST / SMU / All of TX
(06-15-2023 10:23 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  
(06-15-2023 10:14 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Sigh. This again. Neither of you is in SoCal. Neither of you is a Flagship. Neither AAU. Either of you would be, by far, the weakest school Academically in the entire P5. Use ARWU, USN&WR, SAT, smell test, whatever, the Academics just aren't there. Neither of you has had the type of sustained success that UCF and Boise have had in recent decades. Both schools have below-average Athletics revenues for their Conference. You both pull about 40k fans per game, a nice number for the g5, but that would also be near the bottom of the P5.

Actually Fresno state and ECU average in the top 60 in attendance. Hhhhmm, there are 69 “power” conference teams….

Also, We’ve beaten Boise TWICE in the last 4 years we’ve faced off for the MWC CCG! AND ON THE BLUE TURF, to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>PUNCTUATION FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s a good point. Hell, A&M can’t even even beat App State on a down year
06-16-2023 07:09 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Louisville and Kentucky
We all live and work in the same places, restaurants and Bars, schools, car Shows and get tickets for games from each fan base. Argue like brothers and sisters and We both think We are better than the other but get humbled when We lose or obnoxious when we win but Monday We all go back to everyday life wearing Red or Blue.
06-16-2023 07:36 AM
Advertisement

Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(06-16-2023 07:09 AM)Bobcats2011 Wrote:  
(06-15-2023 10:23 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  

That’s a good point. Hell, A&M can’t even even beat App State on a down year

Yep. In a way, it doesn’t look like P2>M3>G5. That’s gauged in conference revenue.

But when gauging by on-field performance it’s more like…

SP2
P1 (BigXII)
M5
MAC&CUSA

Where even MAC and CUSA will have a team or few in a decade that will show some good “power”.

**SP = “SuperPower”
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 07:49 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
06-16-2023 07:39 AM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired

Beat me to the punch. In spite of the institutional differences, UM/ND has a very unique aura. They carry the old torch for the Ivy League-like vibe in the big leagues of college athletics. They've racked up a helluva lot of wins over the combined total of ~280 years of football....so they certainly feel that the arrogance is well earned!

Go Blue!
06-16-2023 07:47 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls

Not quite. The more fitting analog to Michigan is Texas. Success before most people here were even born gave the an intense superiority complex. In the last fifty years they've lost more than they've won against their rival. Academic snobbery par excellence. An entitled fan base with more money than sense.
06-16-2023 07:47 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
From personal observation:

The fan bases of Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis are rather similar: somewhat blue-collar, a decent percentage of African-American fans (more so, it seems, than a good number of "State U's" appear to offer) and with a degree of "us against the rest of the state" mindset. All three offer a healthy chip on the shoulder.

Also similar are the fan bases of Lipscomb and Belmont (here in Nashville). Pleasant, modest level of racial/ethnic diversity, white-collar, non-rabid — and limited in numbers.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 08:58 AM by bill dazzle.)
06-16-2023 07:52 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

(06-16-2023 07:52 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  From personal experience:

The fan bases of Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis are rather similar: somewhat blue-collar, a decent percentage of African-American fans (more so than a good number of "State U's" seemingly offer) and with a degree of "us against the rest of the state" mindset. All three offer a healthy chip on the shoulder.

Also similar are the fan bases of Lipscomb and Belmont (here in Nashville). Pleasant, religious, white-collar, non-rabid — and modest in numbers.

You can add Houston to that trio.
06-16-2023 07:54 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(06-16-2023 07:54 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(06-16-2023 07:52 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  From personal experience:

The fan bases of Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis are rather similar: somewhat blue-collar, a decent percentage of African-American fans (more so than a good number of "State U's" seemingly offer) and with a degree of "us against the rest of the state" mindset. All three offer a healthy chip on the shoulder.

Also similar are the fan bases of Lipscomb and Belmont (here in Nashville). Pleasant, religious, white-collar, non-rabid — and modest in numbers.

You can add Houston to that trio.

Good thought. I don't have personal experience with UH, but it does seem Houston fans overall fit that model too.
06-16-2023 07:56 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(06-15-2023 10:05 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  Fresno State and East Carolina!!!

Their(our) teams GREATLY EXCEED what they should(?), and their fan bases are larger that the ones getting called up to, and being mentioned for, P5 additions!!!!!!!!!

But merit don’t mean chit in this sports network corporate driven college football world we have today!!

A day late, and a dollar short! But ECU and Fresno will still keep kicking your axxes more times than not!!!!

And we both have that crazy azz, big azz moniker at mid field! And we both scare the chit and beat frequently our in-state P5 opponents!!!!!

First job out of school was in the Tidewater area of Virginia where our office, like much of the workforce in the area, is split down the middle between ECU and VT fandom. Many of my VT colleagues agree that they are basically the same program with and without a power conference call-up, and that each of us would be in the exact same situation as the other if the invites had gone the other way from independence in the late 70's.

Not quite one trend with the thread title, but more of teams in alternate Back To The Future 1985's.
06-16-2023 07:57 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

In my area, I would nominate SoMiss and LaTech. Rabid fan bases in Gulf states dominated by SEC members. Great baseball fans. Don't want to be associated with the other state schools in the area (UL-Monroe, Troy, etc).
06-16-2023 08:02 AM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(06-15-2023 10:05 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  Fresno State and East Carolina!!!

Since 2010:

Boise st - 129-37
San Diego st - 113-54
Fresno St 91-72
East Carolina 73-85

05-stirthepot

Market and Location05-nono
06-16-2023 08:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.