By % ticket sales:
[Image: Fymcz0AWYAYNRNz?format=jpg&name=900x900]
06-14-2023 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: Sun Belt Schools Budget 2021-2022
Wow, Troy, Louisiana, and ULM don't utilize hardly any student fees.

It seems if either one of those schools really wanted to expand their budgets in a big way, they have that avenue to go down... unless the UL System prevents ULM and Louisiana from doing such. Troy definitely has that option.
06-14-2023 07:44 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Wait, am I understanding this correctly? Nearly 80% of a student's tuition at JMU goes to the school's athletics????
06-14-2023 07:59 PM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-14-2023 07:59 PM)TTT Wrote:  Wait, am I understanding this correctly? Nearly 80% of a student's tuition at JMU goes to the school's athletics????

No, 80% of the athletic budget is funded by student fees, not 80% of tuition.
06-14-2023 08:02 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Many of the west schools are limited by legislation on how much they can put on student fees.
06-14-2023 08:07 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(06-14-2023 07:44 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Wow, Troy, Louisiana, and ULM don't utilize hardly any student fees.

It seems if either one of those schools really wanted to expand their budgets in a big way, they have that avenue to go down... unless the UL System prevents ULM and Louisiana from doing such. Troy definitely has that option.

Louisiana legislature put a harsh cap on how much Louisiana schools can charge in student fees

Georgia has a similar cap for Southern and State where students fees can only account for less than 50% of our budgets

IIRC Virginia has a similar law for FBS schools so JMU is going to have to move some decimal points around this coming fiscal year
06-14-2023 08:17 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(06-14-2023 08:17 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(06-14-2023 07:44 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Wow, Troy, Louisiana, and ULM don't utilize hardly any student fees.

Louisiana legislature put a harsh cap on how much Louisiana schools can charge in student fees

Georgia has a similar cap for Southern and State where students fees can only account for less than 50% of our budgets

IIRC Virginia has a similar law for FBS schools so JMU is going to have to move some decimal points around this coming fiscal year

I see. With Troy being it's own independent university, they could really swell the athletic budget with student fees if that ever became necessary. I wouldn't want to see that, and I doubt they'd want to do that... but it's good to know it's an option.
06-14-2023 08:30 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

It’s absolutely ridiculous the uphill battle we have within our borders! Yet, Louisiana kicks everyone’s ass on the playing fields without student fees. ALWAYS doing the most with the least…it’s getting old. I can only imagine where we would be with student fees.
06-14-2023 08:32 PM
DRDukes Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
For JMU, once we moved to FBS we have to reduce the percentage of students fees funding the Athletics budget down to no more than 55% of the total budget. This is a result of the Cox Bill, the former Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates (and a JMU Alum), who wanted to reallocate more resources back into academic areas. UVA/VA Tech have to be at 20%, ODU/JMU at 55%, and FCS schools at 70%.

JMU will have a few years to get below that level but we are close to it for the 2022-2023 FY as it is. There are a couple carveouts for JMU that allows us to get below that percentage. For example, any debt service that was approved by the legislature (new Basketball arena, previous expansion of the football stadium, etc), spirit groups (MRDs) and a few other things don't count toward our 55% threshold. We were at 58% a few years ago once those items are removed.

But it is worth noting, JMU has one of the lowest Tuition/Student Fees of any university in Virginia and one of the lowest in the region.
06-14-2023 08:40 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
(06-14-2023 08:32 PM)Big Buds Wrote:  

It’s absolutely ridiculous the uphill battle we have within our borders! Yet, Louisiana kicks everyone’s ass on the playing fields without student fees. ALWAYS doing the most with the least…it’s getting old. I can only imagine where we would be with student fees.
I did some looking at the other schools in the ULS. Tech claims it has no student fees yet gives a higher % from the school than either ULL or ULM. I find that interesting as I have been told we are maxed out. ULL and ULM seem to be giving at the same rate, considering ULL is about twice the size of ULM. Tech's giving is out of sync with us two.

The frustrating thing is that ULL and ULM get hardly anything from student fees (about $25 per student) while the other schools are much higher. All the FCS schools, including Grambling, have much higher student fees. Grambling gets around $215 per student. If ULM and ULL could charge just the same as Grambling it would mean a net of around $1.6 million for ULM and around $3.1 million for ULL.
06-14-2023 09:33 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
There goes the talking point that Georgia State turned down the AAC for not wanting to meet the $40 million funding requirement.
06-14-2023 09:36 PM
Advertisement

Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
I’ll take lowest acceptance rate and highest athletic fees any day. Just pointing to the obvious. We all have different dynamics driving our universities. If the state is in need enough they’ll pay the tab. If they do they’ll rob your grandma for the dollars.
06-14-2023 10:19 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
(06-14-2023 08:40 PM)DRDukes Wrote:  For JMU, once we moved to FBS we have to reduce the percentage of students fees funding the Athletics budget down to no more than 55% of the total budget. This is a result of the Cox Bill, the former Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates (and a JMU Alum), who wanted to reallocate more resources back into academic areas. UVA/VA Tech have to be at 20%, ODU/JMU at 55%, and FCS schools at 70%.

JMU will have a few years to get below that level but we are close to it for the 2022-2023 FY as it is. There are a couple carveouts for JMU that allows us to get below that percentage. For example, any debt service that was approved by the legislature (new Basketball arena, previous expansion of the football stadium, etc), spirit groups (MRDs) and a few other things don't count toward our 55% threshold. We were at 58% a few years ago once those items are removed.

But it is worth noting, JMU has one of the lowest Tuition/Student Fees of any university in Virginia and one of the lowest in the region.

Apparently not lower than ODU’s.
06-14-2023 11:06 PM
Herdfan1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Herd
(06-14-2023 09:33 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  

I did some looking at the other schools in the ULS. Tech claims it has no student fees yet gives a higher % from the school than either ULL or ULM. I find that interesting as I have been told we are maxed out. ULL and ULM seem to be giving at the same rate, considering ULL is about twice the size of ULM. Tech's giving is out of sync with us two.

The frustrating thing is that ULL and ULM get hardly anything from student fees (about $25 per student) while the other schools are much higher. All the FCS schools, including Grambling, have much higher student fees. Grambling gets around $215 per student. If ULM and ULL could charge just the same as Grambling it would mean a net of around $1.6 million for ULM and around $3.1 million for ULL.

Since you like researching so much, a point of contention with the Herd faithful is that the other school claims to be self sufficient and we all know that's a load...
06-14-2023 11:23 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA

I'm surprised Louisiana's ticket percentage is so low. They get a third of a million fans in all sports, far ahead of everyone else during UTA's time in the SBC. I would think that generate a lot of revenue.
06-15-2023 12:05 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
oh boy. here we go again.

let me grab my popcorn for the pages and pages of posts full of misinformation about JMU and student fees. Always entertaining.
06-15-2023 05:57 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(06-15-2023 05:57 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  oh boy. here we go again.

let me grab my popcorn for the pages and pages of posts full of misinformation about JMU and student fees. Always entertaining.

That's cute you think we care 01-wingedeagle
06-15-2023 06:06 AM
Big Buds Offline
All American

(06-15-2023 12:05 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

I'm surprised Louisiana's ticket percentage is so low. They get a third of a million fans in all sports, far ahead of everyone else during UTA's time in the SBC. I would think that generate a lot of revenue.
The numbers have fallen drastically in Football since covid/ESPN+. Oddly enough that timeframe is when Louisiana was ranked nationally. It’s an area of concern to the fanatics like myself. The other sports are still holding their own.
06-15-2023 07:46 AM
Johnnychimpo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
Wow ODU has boat loads of money. Are there any plans to renovate the baseball field so as to not see people walking streets behind the backstop in the background along with what look like maybe a couple of frat houses? At least that is sort of what it looks like from the camera angle.
06-15-2023 08:33 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

A list that combines the % student fees and % school funds, would provide a closer apples to apples comparison of the positions of the schools make up from non-self generated revenue. A quick glance, looks like a total of 45%-55% of non-self generated revenue would be a strong comparative position.

update: only App St, USM, stAte, Louisiana, and ULM fall in the range above. ODU and Marshall are just beyond the 55% but would be interesting case studies.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2023 08:55 AM by balanced_view.)
06-15-2023 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.