Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thamel: Pac-12 Presidents 'solely focused' on TV deal expected 'soon'
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Thamel: Pac-12 Presidents 'solely focused' on TV deal expected 'soon'
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 06:30 PM by BeatWestern!.)
06-07-2023 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
RE: Thamel: Pac-12 Presidents 'solely focused' on TV deal expected 'soon'
Not a ringing endorsement on the future of the PAC.
06-07-2023 06:34 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Quote:The flirtations of Colorado with the Big 12 -- with officials from each side meeting in person, sources told ESPN -- have also put Arizona more in focus.
06-07-2023 06:42 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Quote:"Each of us will make our own independent analysis," Robbins said at the Future of College Athletics Summit hosted here by the University of Arizona. "My prediction is that we're all going to stay together as a Pac-12. There's 10 of us right now. I'm hopeful that the deal is going to be good enough to keep us together."
06-07-2023 06:48 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The AZ President indicated the decision to stay and GOR would move “quick” upon presentation of media deal which should arrive “soon”.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 06:53 PM by Tiger1983.)
06-07-2023 06:49 PM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
Would you believe that? It will come down to TV $ and exposure. Lol
06-07-2023 07:06 PM
Advertisement

Sparty Baby 84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Michigan State
OP, thank you for posting this.

It turns out the rumors of the PAC's death were greatly exaggerated.

Now only one question remains, how could so many no-name bloggers without sources who have no journalistic credibility at stake whose off-brand energy drink/Manscaped will sponsor them either way who aren't actually privy to jack all of anything [*cough* Monty Show, Sicem365, et al] have been so wrong?

My theory is that literally all of these types of sources are just making things up. Ever notice how their only live/written testimony comes from their peers in the "fake sports news" industry? Everything else they give you for your attention and clicks is just "my sources say..." [blah, blah, blah], don't forget to hit the subscribe button, like this video, and stay with us for all the latest "updates."
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 07:33 PM by Sparty Baby 84.)
06-07-2023 07:23 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Sounds like what Ive been saying---they are laying out the requirements to remain together. Basically---he's saying----"Bring us a TV deal like the B12 has---and Im confident we will stay together---I hope George gets us that deal---but we still have no hard numbers."
06-07-2023 07:28 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
(06-07-2023 07:23 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  OP, thank you for posting this.

Now only one question remains, how could so many no-name bloggers without sources who have no journalistic credibility at stake whose off-brand energy drink/Manscaped will sponsor them either way who aren't actually privy to jack all of anything [*cough* Monty Show, Sicem365, et al] have been so wrong?

My theory is that literally all of these types of sources are just making things up. Ever notice how their only live/written testimony comes from their peers in the "fake sports news" industry? Everything else they give you for your attention and clicks is just "my sources say..." [blah, blah, blah], don't forget to hit the subscribe button, like this video, and stay with us for all the latest "updates."
Journalists aren’t making up the instability- it’s clearly an uncertain time for the league. Pac12 schools are clearly doing due diligence and looking out for their best interests. As UCLA and USC showed you can’t assume anything. If the PAC-12 Tv deal meets/ exceeds $ and exposure thresholds or even comes close they are staying together. If not schools are going to act in their best interests.
06-07-2023 08:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

The Arizona and Colorado presidents have basically confirmed everything those bloggers have said except those that say them leaving is inevitable.
06-07-2023 08:11 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
From the article:

"Arizona president Bobby Robbins on Wednesday said he doesn't expect any decisions concerning conference realignment to be made until Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff brings hard numbers to university presidents."

WTF??? No hard numbers but the media reported today (John Canzano) they (PAC12) are all in on Grant Of Rights??? This is a complete catastrophe very similar to the old BIG EAST final days???
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 08:18 PM by GTFletch.)
06-07-2023 08:17 PM
Advertisement

BlueDragon Online
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(06-07-2023 07:28 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Sounds like what Ive been saying---they are laying out the requirements to remain together. Basically---he's saying----"Bring us a TV deal like the B12 has---and Im confident we will stay together---I hope George gets us that deal---but we still have no hard numbers."

Not gonna happen. The television markets left just won't generate the viewership to command those type of numbers. Simple math and return on investment shows smart money will make an offer but not what some would expect or want to stay in the PAC.

Colorado has one foot out the door already looking around and thinking by chance a miracle may fall out of the sky to keep them there.
06-07-2023 08:27 PM
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
(06-07-2023 08:17 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  From the article:

"Arizona president Bobby Robbins on Wednesday said he doesn't expect any decisions concerning conference realignment to be made until Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff brings hard numbers to university presidents."

WTF??? No hard numbers but the media reported today (John Canzano) they (PAC12) are all in on Grant Of Rights??? This is a complete catastrophe very similar to the old BIG EAST final days???

It's a dumpster fire.
06-07-2023 08:28 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Today, reports came out that Pac-12 agreed on their next grant of rights. Those reports were news to Arizona Prez. Interview Below!

Link
https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1666539040336642048
06-07-2023 08:40 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

Now only one question remains,

Actually, plenty of questions remain. Robbins didn't say anything that hasn't already been said over and over. So no questions were answered.

Is the PAC going to get a TV deal worth over $32M per team? $25M per team? $20M? $15M? Are they going to get 50% linear? One game a week linear? No linear at all? Linear on a nontraditional platform like the CW?

Or will someone break ranks sooner or later and jump to the Big 12, opening the floodgates?

Quote:how could so many no-name bloggers without sources who have no journalistic credibility at stake whose off-brand energy drink/Manscaped will sponsor them either way who aren't actually privy to jack all of anything [*cough* Monty Show, Sicem365, et al] have been so wrong?

They're not wrong until there's an actual TV deal announced. They may be BS'ing and making up rumors, but they're not really wrong yet. And they may turn out to be right.

Quote:My theory is that literally all of these types of sources are just making things up. Ever notice how their only live/written testimony comes from their peers in the "fake sports news" industry? Everything else they give you for your attention and clicks is just "my sources say..." [blah, blah, blah], don't forget to hit the subscribe button, like this video, and stay with us for all the latest "updates."
06-07-2023 08:41 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
(06-07-2023 08:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  

The Arizona and Colorado presidents have basically confirmed everything those bloggers have said except those that say them leaving is inevitable.

Exactly, could the PAC stay together? Sure, will they though is the question.

Everything that was posted by the OP shouldn't give anyone here with half a brain warm and fuzzys about the future of the PAC. This conference is barely hanging on and unless Kliavkoff pulls off what at this point would have to be considered a miracle, it's more likely than not there are defections.

To be clear and I'll come back and take my tongue lashing if I'm wrong, the PAC only keeps all members if the TV deal is within 5million per team payout of the BigXII and 50% or more of their games are carried by a linear television company that matters (ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC). The CW, ion, home shopping network, will not cut it point blank period.
06-07-2023 08:51 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(06-07-2023 06:34 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  Not a ringing endorsement on the future of the PAC.

"Right now, I think all 10 of us are solely focused on the deal," Robbins said. "Once we have that, we have degrees of freedom to make informed decisions."

That's coming from a guy who REALLY likes being in the Pac. He wants Kliavkoff to win and Yormark to hide his head in the sand for the next 6 months. And his ringing endorsement is "show us the money"? He has to be wondering when/if he'll ever see hard numbers at this point.
06-07-2023 09:05 PM
BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
What do you all expect the Pac12 presidents to say publicly? What else can they say but "we will do what makes sense"? None of them are going to say they are staying in the PAC no matter what.
06-07-2023 09:10 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
(06-07-2023 09:05 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(06-07-2023 06:34 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  Not a ringing endorsement on the future of the PAC.

"Right now, I think all 10 of us are solely focused on the deal," Robbins said. "Once we have that, we have degrees of freedom to make informed decisions."

That's coming from a guy who REALLY likes being in the Pac. He wants Kliavkoff to win and Yormark to hide his head in the sand for the next 6 months. And his ringing endorsement is "show us the money"? He has to be wondering when/if he'll ever see hard numbers at this point.

The dog ate it
06-07-2023 09:10 PM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

This Pac drama has been highly unusual. Typically, Conferences have favored sources they use to strategically leak information, perhaps to even help them craft their response to bad news, etc etc. Wilzano have filled this role for the Pac for a long time. However, Kliavkoff has shut them off for 6 months. He's not leaking anything, or, perhaps, what he is trying to leak to them they're finding impossible to corroborate and thus they refuse to report it. In the absence of reliable information, we've become like the man dying of thirst; any water at this point, even potentially dirty water, is preferable to no water at all. Flugaur, MHver, Monty, and others of their ilk have happily rushed in to fill the void with their rampant speculation.
06-07-2023 09:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.