Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strength of Schedule on Saban's Mind; Supports all P5 scheduling
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
Strength of Schedule on Saban's Mind; Supports all P5 scheduling
Nick sees where this is going. Many on here have said SOS "doesn't matter" or never has before, at least, but there's a new reality with a new CFP. Yet, this would likely kill any G5 relevance.

06-07-2023 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
RE: Strength of Schedule on Saban's Mind; Supports all P5 scheduling
I don't think it would kill any G5 relevance. The Alabamas of the world could play all P5s and likely still get in, but mid-level or lower level P5s would likely still want a G5 game or two on there to ensure they have a higher win total in order to nab an at-large.
06-07-2023 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eggszecutor Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nebraska
A bit misleading. Title of this thread says "P5", but he is quoted as saying "Division 1" games. What does he mean with "Division 1?" FBS? P5? I'm guessing he just wants to eliminate FCS games. If he was really trying to say that he wants to play only P5, why would he balk at the 8 game SEC schedule?
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2023 10:50 AM by Eggszecutor.)
06-07-2023 03:51 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Says the guy who lost to ULM.
06-07-2023 03:51 PM
clunk Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU
SOS only matters to the ~20ish teams that realistically think they're in the running for the CFP. Maybe reverse SOS for those few that just need wins of any kind. Everybody else just needs to reach bowl eligibility. Miami(OH)'s win over FCS 0-11 Robert Morris counts exactly the same as Georgia's win over #1 Tennessee.
06-07-2023 04:51 PM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
He’s floating the idea of a break away division, at least that’s how I am interpreting it.
06-07-2023 05:21 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
What's stopping you now, Nicky?
06-07-2023 05:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-07-2023 03:51 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Says the guy who lost to ULM.

Can't stand the Tide, but in fairness he lost that game with 3 years worth of Shula players and his freshman class. Don't you think he's made up for that transgression, funny as hell as it may have been at the time? I do

He is talking about All P5 games. It's a slow drumbeat, but one which will only grow louder until it happens and yes it will be a breakaway and everyone in the that upper tier will adhere to the same standard.

Which Dbackjon is why it's not happening now. 1. Everyone is not ready to commit to an All P5/P2 schedule, and 2. We haven't been paid to do it, yet.
06-07-2023 06:23 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

(06-07-2023 06:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Can't stand the Tide, but in fairness he lost that game with 3 years worth of Shula players and his freshman class. Don't you think he's made up for that transgression, funny as hell as it may have been at the time? I do

He is talking about All P5 games. It's a slow drumbeat, but one which will only grow louder until it happens and yes it will be a breakaway and everyone in the that upper tier will adhere to the same standard.

Which Dbackjon is why it's not happening now. 1. Everyone is not ready to commit to an All P5/P2 schedule, and 2. We haven't been paid to do it, yet.

Still lost to ULM. If you're going to talk about cutting out the G5, you better have beaten every G5 you've ever played. If you haven't, your argument is a joke.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 06:30 PM by Yosef181.)
06-07-2023 06:29 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This guy is such a phony. He’s been saying this for several years but continues to schedule cupcakes. He should put his money where his mouth is. I won’t hold my breath.
06-07-2023 06:29 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

(06-07-2023 06:29 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  This guy is such a phony. He’s been saying this for several years but continues to schedule cupcakes. He should put his money where his mouth is. I won’t hold my breath.

He's too scared to play one of the better G5s. What would happen if they lose? Oh, the horror.

Better to schedule UT Martin, Mercer, and Eastern Illinois to be safe.
06-07-2023 06:33 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini

Yet he only plays 9 P5 games now, while B1G schools are mainly playing 10.

He could dump the FCS game and add another P5 now and move the process along
06-07-2023 06:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-07-2023 06:35 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

The FCS games are courtesies for the schools involved. Their take is essentially equal to all of their other revenue generated for a year. The SEC would be fine without them. As to playing 10 games, when you consider the strength of the bottom 5 in the Big 10 as compared to the bottom 3 in the SEC it works out. The day is coming. The SEC will handle it in stride like the COVID year.
06-07-2023 07:39 PM
Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
(06-07-2023 06:35 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Alabama’s 8 SEC games are significantly more difficult than Ohio States 9 Big Ten games. There is a reason SEC aren’t penalized for playing 1 less conference game. SEC doesn’t have Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern etc. only Vandy. Kentucky would win the Big Ten west most years.
06-07-2023 07:41 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Is Saban prepared to have Alabama play 50% of its games on the road in conjunction with implementing all-P5 scheduling? Because if not, it ain't gonna happen.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 08:33 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
06-07-2023 08:00 PM
Sparty Baby 84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Michigan State
This quote is from the same Nick Saban who was for a 9-game SEC schedule until he wasn't (conveniently when it was time to sign off on it). And this quote is from the same Nick Saban whose second undefeated season with Alabama came in a 10-game SEC schedule, which proved beyond a doubt that playing all those FCS tuneups and September cupcakes is an utter waste of time for a legendary gold standard football program like Alabama.

More generally speaking, I think that whatever Saban's opinion is today, it won't matter tomorrow. I think his latest hot-and-cold public takes on the future of the sport/SEC are a telling sign of his uncertain fear that Alabama is finally returning to earth to play football with the rest of the earthbound football programs. I'm not basing this though on Georgia's ascension, but rather basing it on the amount of close games Alabama had last year and Saban's increasingly over-reliance on skill players' health. For example, if Bryce Young gets hurt instead of Quin Ewers, Alabama loses 4-5 games last year. Because as I watched their games, to me, Young single-handedly pulled Alabama out of the fire in all their close games last year.
06-07-2023 08:01 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-07-2023 08:01 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  This quote is from the same Nick Saban who was for a 9-game SEC schedule until he wasn't (conveniently when it was time to sign off on it). And this quote is from the same Nick Saban whose second undefeated season with Alabama came in a 10-game SEC schedule, which proved beyond a doubt that playing all those FCS tuneups and September cupcakes is an utter waste of time for a legendary gold standard football program like Alabama.

More generally speaking, I think that whatever Saban's opinion is today, it won't matter tomorrow. I think his latest hot-and-cold public takes on the future of the sport/SEC are a telling sign of his uncertain fear that Alabama is finally returning to earth to play football with the rest of the earthbound football programs. I'm not basing this though on Georgia's ascension, but rather basing it on the amount of close games Alabama had last year and Saban's increasingly over-reliance on skill players' health. For example, if Bryce Young gets hurt instead of Quin Ewers, Alabama loses 4-5 games last year. Because as I watched their games, to me, Young single-handedly pulled Alabama out of the fire in all their close games last year.

He's had 2 coordinators promoted out as major head coaches in what 4 years time? He's 70. When Alabama returns to Earth is when when re retires. Kirby is at home. I don't know if the Bama donors will hire Dabo. They'll wander in the wilderness for a few years figuring out who to hire next. At least the "it must be a guy from Bear's coaching tree" days are gone. Now we'll see if "it must be a guy from Nick's coaching tree" days are here.
06-07-2023 08:16 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
FCS games are mostly exhibition practices to fleece the fans.

At minimum I'm in favor of not counting them in win-loss records for bowl eligibility.
06-07-2023 09:19 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-07-2023 06:29 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  

Still lost to ULM. If you're going to talk about cutting out the G5, you better have beaten every G5 you've ever played. If you haven't, your argument is a joke.

Saban's first year at LSU, in 2000, they lost to UAB, and that was LSU's homecoming.

All a part of the Process - the next week they beat #11 Tennessee.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2023 09:26 PM by quo vadis.)
06-07-2023 09:24 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(06-07-2023 06:29 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  

I have as much reason to hate Saban as just about anyone here other than JR, but even I would not go that far. Jimbo doesn't get a pass for losing to you guys last year, he's only won a single title and it was a decade ago at a different school. Saban has won SEVEN National Titles, 6 of them since that one game. I think he can get a pass on this one.
06-07-2023 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.