Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How long can Kliavkoff kick the media rights can down the road?
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
How long can Kliavkoff kick the media rights can down the road?
The current Pac-12 media rights agreement doesn't technically expire until shortly before the start of the 2024 football season.

How long should the remaining 10 schools wait to learn what their suddenly media-shy leader will (or won't) deliver in terms of a new offer?

When (if at all) does the phrase "it's too late" apply to the Pac-12?
06-05-2023 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: How long can Kliavkoff kick the media rights can down the road?
I think they/we find out what the deal is by July. That has become my target month for things to go down in whatever direction. So I will say August is when "it's too late" starts.
06-05-2023 07:24 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(06-05-2023 07:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  I think they/we find out what the deal is by July. That has become my target month for things to go down in whatever direction. So I will say August is when "it's too late" starts.

If Kliavkoff brings a deal to the 10 schools on July 31, but all don't agree to the terms and/or won't sign a GoR, then what?
06-05-2023 07:41 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Colorado may not even know that date right now - and might not even know until the day of. The date is whenever Colorado's decision-makers organically make a final decision and subsequently set all the formalities in motion.
06-05-2023 07:48 PM
Acres Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston, Texas Southern
(06-05-2023 07:41 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(06-05-2023 07:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  I think they/we find out what the deal is by July. That has become my target month for things to go down in whatever direction. So I will say August is when "it's too late" starts.

If Kliavkoff brings a deal to the 10 schools on July 31, but all don't agree to the terms and/or won't sign a GoR, then what?

Kliavkoff will not bring a deal to the presidents, unless he is sure all agree to the terms and all signs the GOR.
06-05-2023 07:50 PM
Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
I’m impressed the PAC 12 has made it this far without a new deal - I believe PAC 12 “year” ends Aug 1 so maybe July 30 is the longest they can last without an announcement.
06-05-2023 07:58 PM
Advertisement

Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(06-05-2023 07:58 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  I’m impressed the PAC 12 has made it this far without a new deal - I believe PAC 12 “year” ends Aug 1 so maybe July 30 is the longest they can last without an announcement.

Ends in 2024. That is more than a year away.
06-05-2023 08:02 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(06-05-2023 07:50 PM)Acres Wrote:  

Kliavkoff will not bring a deal to the presidents, unless he is sure all agree to the terms and all signs the GOR.

You must think university presidents are stupid. These guys learned from their mistakes with Larry Scott. They won't let that happen again.
06-05-2023 08:03 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis

The potential Big 12 schools bolt first. I mentioned awhile back that it kinda feels like these schools are waiting on others to make the first move. Like a "you first, no you" when it comes to leaving the PAC. After they are forced to make the move then the B1G takes comes in for who they want.
06-05-2023 08:21 PM
Glenn360 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
Networks pick their games and a 2024 schedule comes out way before Summer 2024 so he has fewer months than that imo.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023 08:42 PM by Glenn360.)
06-05-2023 08:38 PM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats

How can they agree to something of which the details are unknown?
06-05-2023 08:45 PM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline

(06-05-2023 08:45 PM)Kyle Mack Wrote:  
(06-05-2023 07:50 PM)Acres Wrote:  Kliavkoff will not bring a deal to the presidents, unless he is sure all agree to the terms and all signs the GOR.

"It was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

— Winston Churchill
06-05-2023 08:51 PM
Acres Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston, Texas Southern

They are not oblivious to the details. He updates them regularly with numbers and progress, gauges what they are comfortable with, goes back to the networks. It’s an iterative process. All presidents know where the negotiations are and what the figures are. At some point they are going to bring this to a close, take an informal vote, settle on a number and length of the contract. They haven’t reached that point yet.

Thereafter, he will draft a formal Grant of rights for all to sign, or a standard no GOR agreement, depending on where they fall.

There is this misconception that Kliavkov does his deals in the shadows then drops a contract on the presidents to sign.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023 09:10 PM by Acres.)
06-05-2023 09:05 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(06-05-2023 08:03 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

You must think university presidents are stupid. These guys learned from their mistakes with Larry Scott. They won't let that happen again.

Hmmm, what has happened since Larry Scott left? Hint: nothing good. Blame Scott, blame Stanford c 1990, blame comcast for not noticing that they were underpaid $5m a year for a decade (!!!), blame whomever you want, but they're all responsible for cleaning up this mess.

At least when Larry Scott was around, they still had the chance to control their own destiny. Now, the big 12 and B1G seem to have more control over the Pac than the Pac itself does.
06-05-2023 09:07 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(06-05-2023 09:05 PM)Acres Wrote:  At some point they are going to bring this to a close, take an informal vote, settle on a number and length of the contract

At some point = OSU and Wazzu are the only two schools left
06-05-2023 09:09 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(06-05-2023 08:51 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(06-05-2023 07:50 PM)Acres Wrote:  Kliavkoff will not bring a deal to the presidents, unless he is sure all agree to the terms and all signs the GOR.

— Winston Churchill

However matters may go in the big 12 or with the B1G, or other Conferences, we in this Island and in the California Empire will never lose our sense of comradeship with the Pac people. If we are now called upon to endure what they have been suffering, we shall emulate their courage, and if final victory rewards our toils they shall share the gains, aye, and freedom shall be restored to all. We abate nothing of our just demands; not one jot or tittle do we recede. Aztecs, Huskies, Beavers, Trojans, Utes have joined their causes to our own. All these shall be restored. What General Kliavkoff has called the Battle of California is over. I expect the Battle of the Pac is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of the Pac. Upon it depends our own California life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Yormark knows that he will have to break us in this Western Land or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all California may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the SEC, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of Yormark's perverted, grenade-throwing science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the California Empire and its Commonwealth[e] last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'
06-05-2023 09:12 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(06-05-2023 09:05 PM)Acres Wrote:  

They are not oblivious to the details. He updates them regularly with numbers and progress, gauges what they are comfortable with, goes back to the networks. It’s an iterative process. All presidents know where the negotiations are and what the figures are. At some point they are going to bring this to a close, take an informal vote, settle on a number and length of the contract. They haven’t reached that point yet.

Thereafter, he will draft a formal Grant of rights for all to sign, or a standard no GOR agreement, depending on where they fall.

There is this misconception that Kliavkov does his deals in the shadows then drops a contract on the presidents to sign.

My conception is that Kliavkoff is the Commissioner and he should be talking to us about what's going on. The fact that he is not, and has not for months, cannot be good news for his Conference. I mean, I understand if he's taking a clever negotiating posture, but there's nothing in any negotiating posture than would prevent him from calling up Wilner once a week and just talking about the weather, or talking to McMurphy, heck he could be working to charm Sheer or Monty for that matter. He's doing NOTHING to stop the increasingly negative news pieces about his Conference. As that negative press hurts his negotiating position significantly, it's hard to think that this is some sort of off-the-wall strategy to increase his media rights deal.

Perhaps he's too busy updating his resume to communicate with anybody, other than his Presidents who apparently know everything.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023 09:18 PM by bryanw1995.)
06-05-2023 09:15 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas

— Winston Churchill

"I am a cipher, a cipher wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce..."

- Jimmy James
06-05-2023 09:24 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(06-05-2023 09:12 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

— Winston Churchill

However matters may go in the big 12 or with the B1G, or other Conferences, we in this Island and in the California Empire will never lose our sense of comradeship with the Pac people. If we are now called upon to endure what they have been suffering, we shall emulate their courage, and if final victory rewards our toils they shall share the gains, aye, and freedom shall be restored to all. We abate nothing of our just demands; not one jot or tittle do we recede. Aztecs, Huskies, Beavers, Trojans, Utes have joined their causes to our own. All these shall be restored. What General Kliavkoff has called the Battle of California is over. I expect the Battle of the Pac is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of the Pac. Upon it depends our own California life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Yormark knows that he will have to break us in this Western Land or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all California may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the SEC, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of Yormark's perverted, grenade-throwing science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the California Empire and its Commonwealth[e] last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

03-lmfao

...by Jove, you forgot the BRONCOS in your dissertation! Good Lord MAN - don't you realize they are the KEYSTONE to the entire workings of the whole SYSTEM??? Entire CONFERENCES are hinging upon the slightest action by "The Order of The Blue Turf"!!!
06-05-2023 09:27 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(06-05-2023 09:07 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(06-05-2023 08:03 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

Hmmm, what has happened since Larry Scott left? Hint: nothing good. Blame Scott, blame Stanford c 1990, blame comcast for not noticing that they were underpaid $5m a year for a decade (!!!), blame whomever you want, but they're all responsible for cleaning up this mess.

At least when Larry Scott was around, they still had the chance to control their own destiny. Now, the big 12 and B1G seem to have more control over the Pac than the Pac itself does.

The BIG yes, but they are a P2. The B12? Have to see it. All you have is a lot of noise from the B12 and their shills on that. Call me when anything these people have been talking about for months actually comes to fruition. It was months ago that Swaim was saying the 4 corner schools were as good as in the B12. Now he's cut that down to 2. If all he has been doing has been slinging BS are you gonna follow him in the future? Likely, you will. PT Barnum was right.
06-05-2023 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.