Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Emoni Bates NBA
Bookmark and Share
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Emoni Bates NBA
As ‘79 suggested, getting a new thread for Emoni Bates future/NBA prospects. (Sorry, Bovine!)
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 09:41 PM by RamyEMU.)
06-02-2023 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

RE: Emoni Bates NBA
Reposting a couple things to get the ball rolling…

EMU’s write up on Emoni Bates
https://emueagles.com/news/2023/5/24/men...mbine.aspx

sideline's retweeted an interview from Emoni Bates…
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...2439406593
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 09:42 PM by RamyEMU.)
06-02-2023 09:36 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Thanks Ramy. [/i]
06-03-2023 06:12 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Mocked at #59;to my Washington Wizars.

https://youtu.be/G-nNWZcNnkw
06-03-2023 12:15 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2023 12:15 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Mocked at #59;to my Washington Wizars.

Do the Wizars play in the pee wee league?
06-03-2023 01:49 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(06-03-2023 01:49 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(06-03-2023 12:15 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Mocked at #59;to my Washington Wizars.

Do the Wizars play in the pee wee league?

03-lmfao Coached by the ghost of Whizzer White?
06-04-2023 08:21 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Per the Ringer they have him at 52 to the suns

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draf...1657540131
06-08-2023 07:15 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2023 07:15 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Per the Ringer they have him at 52 to the suns

Read the entire scouting report.
06-08-2023 07:57 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(06-08-2023 07:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(06-08-2023 07:15 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Per the Ringer they have him at 52 to the suns

Seems completely fair and accurate.

A lot of times we as fans chose to look past some of the more harsh realities of the minuses because of the pluses.

I'm rooting for Emoni to get taken and the Suns would be a fine place to end up.

I think the key point of Emoni's future was in the last line of the pluses "Team fit could make or break his future. He needs a team with positive veteran influences who can guide him along early in his career."
06-08-2023 09:27 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(06-08-2023 09:27 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  

A lot of times we as fans chose to look past some of the more harsh realities of the minuses because of the pluses.

I'm rooting for Emoni to get taken and the Suns would be a fine place to end up.

I think the key point of Emoni's future was in the last line of the pluses "Team fit could make or break his future. He needs a team with positive veteran influences who can guide him along early in his career."

"Tall Bones Hyland"
06-08-2023 09:44 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2023 09:27 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  

Oh I agree with the review. Others may not. I hope Emoni gets drafted by a team that will help him in all aspects of his game.
06-08-2023 12:31 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
06-08-2023 06:21 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

Per the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/4606258/2023/06/...ma-sanogo/

Eight college star sleepers for the 2023 NBA Draft: Sanogo, Strawther, Bailey and more

'Emoni Bates, 6-9 sophomore forward, Eastern Michigan
Bates’ talent is undeniable. He is tall, agile, quick, explosive and highly skilled. He averaged 19.2 points (on 33.0 percent 3-point shooting), 5.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists last season for the Eagles. He had four games where scored at least 30, including a dazzling 43-point eruption in a loss at Toledo. Bates was just 17 years old when he started his freshman season at Memphis, so he will be 19 on draft night. He has one of the highest ceilings in this draft.
Ah, but will he reach it? There are plenty of questions about Bates’ maturity, toughness and work ethic. His guilty plea in December to a misdemeanor gun charge did nothing to alleviate those concerns. It is critical that whatever team chooses him does its due diligence on Bates’ background, but given how young he is, it’s possible those issues could erode in time. If that happens, Bates offers a set of of physical gifts that can’t be acquired. I wouldn’t take him in the first round, but if he falls to the middle of the second or later, he’s well worth the risk.'
06-13-2023 03:24 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(06-13-2023 03:24 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  Per the Athletic:

Eight college star sleepers for the 2023 NBA Draft: Sanogo, Strawther, Bailey and more

Bates’ talent is undeniable. He is tall, agile, quick, explosive and highly skilled. He averaged 19.2 points (on 33.0 percent 3-point shooting), 5.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists last season for the Eagles. He had four games where scored at least 30, including a dazzling 43-point eruption in a loss at Toledo. Bates was just 17 years old when he started his freshman season at Memphis, so he will be 19 on draft night. He has one of the highest ceilings in this draft.
Ah, but will he reach it? There are plenty of questions about Bates’ maturity, toughness and work ethic. His guilty plea in December to a misdemeanor gun charge did nothing to alleviate those concerns. It is critical that whatever team chooses him does its due diligence on Bates’ background, but given how young he is, it’s possible those issues could erode in time. If that happens, Bates offers a set of of physical gifts that can’t be acquired. I wouldn’t take him in the first round, but if he falls to the middle of the second or later, he’s well worth the risk.'

To answer the author:

He is tall (agree), agile (not really), quick (last in combine for cones (I’m speculating), explosive (nope) and highly skilled (agree).

Rooting for Emoni to be drafted!!
06-13-2023 04:31 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

The Athletic MUCH more critical:

69. Emoni Bates
W | Eastern Michigan | Birthdate: Jan. 28, 2004 (Age: 19) | 6-8 | 180 LBS |
Hometown: Ypsilanti, Mich.
BACKGROUND
Parents are E.J. and Edith. E.J. played professionally for a few years overseas and coached Emoni throughout his career on his
AAU team. Was about as high-profile as a prospect can get throughout his high school career. Had some staggeringly impressive
performances on the AAU circuit for his age and was anointed as a potential No. 1 pick in the eyes of many. Was tracked relentlessly throughout high school and publicized heavily. Went to Lincoln High School to start his high school career, then attended
Ypsi Prep Academy, a school in Ypsilanti created by E.J. for his high school career. Played there for a year and was a finalist for
high school player of the year. After his junior season, made a very noteworthy decision to reclassify up to college. He committed to Michigan State earlier in his career but opened his recruitment in April before his first collegiate season. In August, he
decided to commit to Memphis and began attending the school. Went there for his first year, and things did not go well. He got
injured, but even before then, it was clear he wasn’t ready to play college basketball and make a consistent impact across the
court. Decided to transfer following the season. After a long process, committed to Eastern Michigan, his hometown college.
In September, Bates was arrested and charged with two felony gun charges after a traffic stop in Michigan. Those charges were
dropped in October. Played this past season at Eastern Michigan and scored a lot of points but left a lot to be desired in terms of
his overall game for evaluators. Declared for the 2023 NBA Draft after the season. Was invited to the 2023 NBA Draft Combine.
STRENGTHS
Bates is an impressive shot creator at 6-foot-8 without shoes. He has real shiftiness throughout his hips and all sorts of creativity
in terms of mindset as a hooper. Has an innate understanding of the way defenders play him and of their balance. He can play
off that at a very high level and get to the spots he wants consistently. Has a nice bag of crossovers, hesitations, hang dribbles
and more. Once he gets that separation, he can fill it up. He is a terrific shooter. Bates only hit 30 percent from 3 on pull-ups
this past season, but that was probably higher than expected given the degree of difficulty on the shots. Bates also hit 37.6
percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s. He’s a legitimately high-level shooter with size. Also, has a solid floater game he can get to
in the midrange.
WEAKNESSES
Everything else. Bates has very short arms and no strength to speak of, which was an issue for him at Eastern Michigan. He
also is not a great athlete in terms of explosiveness. Has very little first step. Doesn’t have a ton of vertical pop. Doesn’t have
an efficient way to beat defenses as a scorer right now unless he’s just catching and firing from 3. Made just 45.8 percent of his
shots at the rim in half-court settings, a disastrous number for a draft prospect playing in the MAC. Took about three midrange
jumpers per game and made just 39 percent of them. Made just 34.2 percent of his half-court 3s this past season because the
degree of difficulty on them is impossibly high. That’s the real issue with his game. Bates does not really play all that well with
his teammates. He’s all about scoring himself and not about creating efficient offense. Despite his talent level and the fact that
he was playing in the MAC, Eastern Michigan was about 0.5 points per 100 possessions better offensively when he was off the
court versus when he was on the court. He just doesn’t move the needle on offense despite his talent for creating shots because
he puts up some of the worst, most difficult shots you’ll see. Doesn’t pass and make plays for his teammates. And all this pales in
comparison to his defensive ability, which is nonexistent right now. Is not nearly attentive enough off the ball to make an impact.
Needs to lock in and engage in that regard. On the ball, would be far too skinny to hold his ground in the NBA against other shot
creators. He would get hunted relentlessly due to his lack of strength. Bates’ feel for creating a shot is great; his feel for playing
winning basketball is quite poor.
SUMMARY
Bates is such an interesting shot creator and shooter at nearly 6-foot-10 in shoes that I would be willing to give him a two-way
contract if all the background intel came back clean. It is difficult to find shot creators this gifted. But he must totally change
his style of play to make it work. He needs to get better at playing without the ball in his hands. Make an impact when you’re
away from the ball. Become a good defender. Become a good mover without the ball. Understand what’s happening on the court
beyond just getting buckets. It’s asking a lot. He needs a lot of work. But there is a talented basketball player here for his age.
Hopefully he buys into showing it and doing the type of things that will get him on an NBA court.
06-15-2023 07:44 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

The Ringer just mocked him at to the Bucks with the following note:

Bates needs a positive environment to learn winning habits. What better place than Milwaukee?
06-15-2023 09:05 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(06-13-2023 04:31 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(06-13-2023 03:24 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  Per the Athletic:

To answer the author:

He is tall (agree), agile (not really), quick (last in combine for cones (I’m speculating), explosive (nope) and highly skilled (agree).

Rooting for Emoni to be drafted!!

Bullseye Lucky! That makes two of us in neighboring towns rooting for our fellow Washtenaw County resident to be drafted.
06-17-2023 03:56 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

Anonymous Exec Per the Athletic:

Emoni Bates, 6-10 sophomore guard, Eastern Michigan. “He’s not even on our board. Just too much of a circus. He has a scorer’s mentality but bad shot selection. He’s one of those athletic-looking guys that’s not really athletic. He has no interest in playing defense or utilizing his other abilities. He needs to learn how to play with other good players. Very talented skill-wise. He was good at the combine but his body needs a lot of work. I’ve heard he’s done a pretty good job during his workouts.”
06-19-2023 09:55 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I hope he’s drafted because that’s the only way he can help EMU
06-19-2023 10:33 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(06-19-2023 09:55 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Anonymous Exec Per the Athletic:

Emoni Bates, 6-10 sophomore guard, Eastern Michigan. “He’s not even on our board. Just too much of a circus. He has a scorer’s mentality but bad shot selection. He’s one of those athletic-looking guys that’s not really athletic. He has no interest in playing defense or utilizing his other abilities. He needs to learn how to play with other good players. Very talented skill-wise. He was good at the combine but his body needs a lot of work. I’ve heard he’s done a pretty good job during his workouts.”

I think that post hit the mark!

The NBA is not going to be the same environment he has been used to. There is no higher level. Weight room, defense and playing with others, now are critical to the kid succeeding. I think it is possible, the raw talent is there, does he have the work ethic, and will Daddy stay out of the way? Gosh I hope so.
06-19-2023 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.