Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dinich: Big 12 talks expansion, source says, as commish touts 'plan'
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Dinich: Big 12 talks expansion, source says, as commish touts 'plan'
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 04:35 PM by BeatWestern!.)
06-02-2023 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Dinich: Big 12 talks expansion, source says, as commish touts 'plan'
(06-02-2023 04:33 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Heather Dinich of ESPN reports:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...touts-plan

That interview sounded a lot like a retreat from the PAC 12 expansion options. We'll see.
06-02-2023 04:38 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Pertinent highlights:

A. An expansion plan is in place, although "league leaders are satisfied with their current membership".

B. No vote on membership, but scenarios were discussed.

C. Basketball is undervalued and has upside (response to question about the Zags), but football remains the driver. "there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference." UConn and the Zags were discussed.

D. Waiting on the PAC-12's media deal before possibly pulling the trigger.

E. Article reminds readers Yourmak "has been outspoken" about "coast to coast" expansion. and ruffled the PAC12's feathers by stating last year that the Big 12 is "open for business.
06-02-2023 04:44 PM
splitstud Offline
1st String

I Root For: Illuminati, BCS
(06-02-2023 04:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That interview sounded a lot like a retreat from the PAC 12 expansion options. We'll see.

We should be so lucky
06-02-2023 04:57 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
If the CU President shuts this down, or the vote fails, it will be a black mark on Yormark for sure, but I wonder how the PAC responds with expansion of their own. I’d like to see the PAC double down on academics and add Rice Tulane USF along with SDSU.

East: CU Utah Zona ASU Rice Tulane USF
West: PAC 6 + SDSU

Gets Deion into Fla and Texas.

Big 12 counters with Memphis UNLV UConn Zaga.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 05:02 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-02-2023 04:59 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(06-02-2023 04:59 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  If the CU President shuts this down, or the vote fails, it will be a black mark on Yormark for sure, but I wonder how the PAC responds with expansion of their own. I’d like to see the PAC double down on academics and add Rice Tulane USF along with SDSU.

I'll drink to that!!!02-13-banana02-13-banana04-rock
06-02-2023 05:04 PM
Advertisement

ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Pretty much everything we already know.

Candidates 1-4 are 4C and they pretty much have an open invitation.

5-6 is Uconn and Gonzaga, they might get an invitation depending on 4C.

4C is waiting for PAC12 TV contracts. Colorado and Arizona are more open to leaving than ASU and Utah.
06-02-2023 05:04 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10

Yes.

That previous "white board discussion", really sounded like they're very unsure if they are getting any PAC schools.

And this one doesn't seem to be moving that needle much.
06-02-2023 05:08 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(06-02-2023 05:04 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 04:59 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  If the CU President shuts this down, or the vote fails, it will be a black mark on Yormark for sure, but I wonder how the PAC responds with expansion of their own. I’d like to see the PAC double down on academics and add Rice Tulane USF along with SDSU.

I'll drink to that!!!02-13-banana02-13-banana04-rock

You just have to wonder, if the PAC is somehow crazy enough to add a USF for an eastern wing and get the lucrative ETZ? That AAU timing was way too coincidental, especially with schools like UGa and NCSU nipping at the heels.

Frankly, with an all-in deal, Apple may want the noon kickoff with USF home games.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 05:14 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-02-2023 05:14 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
This is all premature until we see a PAC media deal. Unfortunately, it sounds like none of the PAC presidents have been presented with one yet. If I was a PAC president, with an open invitation, why jump ship early without seeing hard numbers?
06-02-2023 05:17 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

I wouldn't see it as a black mark on Yormark or the big 12 at all, he's just being opportunistic with the Pac, but I would rather view it as concerning for them. If they don't kill or at least wound their enemy while it's weak, that same enemy could come back stronger in the future. And we've all seen how the relative power of the big 12 and Pac and change in the blink of an eye. A couple sentences from the B1G could lock the Pac down hard until 2036 and potentially put them back into the Predator rather than Prey role in a few, short years. Does anybody here doubt that the Pac will strike swiftly and aggressively if they ever get another chance? Ok, yeah, I guess it's possible, but even they can't be that stupid.

edit: as for Rice/Tulane/USF...the 3 of them combined might be worth 1 full Pac share. If they brought all of them on board, Yormark wouldn't be able to answer his phone fast enough to accept all of the 4c.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 05:26 PM by bryanw1995.)
06-02-2023 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(06-02-2023 05:17 PM)otown Wrote:  This is all premature until we see a PAC media deal. Unfortunately, it sounds like none of the PAC presidents have been presented with one yet. If I was a PAC president, with an open invitation, why jump ship early without seeing hard numbers?

True.

And if I were a PAC school, would I be attempting to negotiate with the Big12, or the Big10?

Nebraska came in at less than full revenue. I think any AAU school gets a Big10 conversation, at least.

I don't think they all get in, but I would be really surprised if there isn't some ongoing discussion about the PAC schools going on in the Big10.

It all comes down to the media deal, and whether a goal is to try to keep the PAC viable in a P4/5 world.

What I think everyone is waiting for is the deal to be announced so that schools get "cover" for the next actions they take.

Remember - school admins answer to people too...
06-02-2023 05:30 PM
BruinNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCLA

It does. If the B1G doesn’t grab more schools, the betting money was always on the Pac sticking together, even with signing an underwhelming, short term media deal.

nBig 12 grabbing Pac 12 schools on its own was always a long shot, and that is with their hip and cool commish, Rucker Park basketball and Shaq DJing at the conference tournament sock hop.
06-02-2023 05:31 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(06-02-2023 05:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I wouldn't see it as a black mark on Yormark or the big 12 at all, he's just being opportunistic with the Pac, but I would rather view it as concerning for them. If they don't kill or at least wound their enemy while it's weak, that same enemy could come back stronger in the future. And we've all seen how the relative power of the big 12 and Pac and change in the blink of an eye. A couple sentences from the B1G could lock the Pac down hard until 2036 and potentially put them back into the Predator rather than Prey role in a few, short years. Does anybody here doubt that the Pac will strike swiftly and aggressively if they ever get another chance? Ok, yeah, I guess it's possible, but even they can't be that stupid.

edit: as for Rice/Tulane/USF...the 3 of them combined might be worth 1 full Pac share. If they brought all of them on board, Yormark wouldn't be able to answer his phone fast enough to accept all of the 4c.

You can certainly swap SMU for Rice or Tulane. Who would UNLV prefer if they have offers from both? Probably the PAC? But you never know (depending on the money).

If Memphis and UNLV go to BY, the PAC can certainly stop with SDSU and SMU, but USF and Rice would be attractive at half shares (assuming USF gets a hard no from the Big 12). I think SDSU and SMU are going to want 3/4 shares if the deal is around 24-25 per school, so two more schools at half shares is potentially doable.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 05:46 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-02-2023 05:45 PM
Acres Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston, Texas Southern
(06-02-2023 05:45 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 05:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I wouldn't see it as a black mark on Yormark or the big 12 at all, he's just being opportunistic with the Pac, but I would rather view it as concerning for them. If they don't kill or at least wound their enemy while it's weak, that same enemy could come back stronger in the future. And we've all seen how the relative power of the big 12 and Pac and change in the blink of an eye. A couple sentences from the B1G could lock the Pac down hard until 2036 and potentially put them back into the Predator rather than Prey role in a few, short years. Does anybody here doubt that the Pac will strike swiftly and aggressively if they ever get another chance? Ok, yeah, I guess it's possible, but even they can't be that stupid.

You can certainly swap SMU for Rice or Tulane. Who would UNLV prefer if they have offers from both? Probably the PAC? But you never know (depending on the money).

If Memphis and UNLV go to BY, the PAC can certainly stop with SDSU and SMU, but USF and Rice would be attractive at half shares (assuming USF gets a hard no from the Big 12). I think SDSU and SMU are going to want 3/4 shares if the deal is around 24-25 per school, so two more schools at half shares is potentially doable.

Where in that articles are theses schools mentioned as possibilities. Nowhere. The big12 will not expand further with G5 schools. It will either be Pac12 schools or no expansion. No UCONN or Gonzaga. There was never a Gonzaga or Uconn to begin with.

Reporters and message board speculation drove that false narrative. Football drives the bus.

G5 Schools that jumped to the big12 should consider themselves lucky.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 06:07 PM by Acres.)
06-02-2023 06:05 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(06-02-2023 06:05 PM)Acres Wrote:  

Where in that articles are theses schools mentioned as possibilities. Nowhere. The big12 will not expand further with G5 schools. It will either be Pac12 schools or no expansion. No UCONN or Gonzaga. There was never a Gonzaga or Uconn to begin with.

Reporters and message board speculation drove that false narrative. Football drives the bus.

Yormark has publicly talked about Gonzaga multiple times.
06-02-2023 06:08 PM
Advertisement

Acres Offline
Special Teams

(06-02-2023 05:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

I wouldn't see it as a black mark on Yormark or the big 12 at all, he's just being opportunistic with the Pac, but I would rather view it as concerning for them. If they don't kill or at least wound their enemy while it's weak, that same enemy could come back stronger in the future. And we've all seen how the relative power of the big 12 and Pac and change in the blink of an eye. A couple sentences from the B1G could lock the Pac down hard until 2036 and potentially put them back into the Predator rather than Prey role in a few, short years. Does anybody here doubt that the Pac will strike swiftly and aggressively if they ever get another chance? Ok, yeah, I guess it's possible, but even they can't be that stupid.

Agree absolutely. If the big12 is unable to raid the pac12 and the pac12 finds a deal in the mid 20s, then I can absolutely see, big12 schools jump to the pac12, come 2030.
06-02-2023 06:12 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU

Likely an unsuccessful attempt to make it seem like AZ and CU don’t have unlimited time

ASU, CU, and AZ have putrid recent ratings despite the benefit of a P5 schedule. It is not completely a ruse to have UConn or some G5 as similar valuations. Particularly in the east for long term planning
06-02-2023 06:19 PM
Acres Offline
Special Teams

(06-02-2023 06:08 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Yormark has publicly talked about Gonzaga multiple times.

Reporters have asked him specific question regarding Gonzaga and he has replied to those specific questions.

No where has he indicated that Gonzaga is a serious candidate for addition. The UCONN bit was more bizarre. Apparently, someone saw Uconn written on a board somewhere , and all a sudden Uconn became a serious candidate for the big12.

What he has been consistent with, is if opportunity arises, that adds value, then conference would expand. That “opportunity will not arise” with schools that are already available and willing.

He is reserving expansion strictly for pac12 schools should they choose to leave that league.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 06:25 PM by Acres.)
06-02-2023 06:24 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

G5 Schools that jumped to the big12 should consider themselves lucky.

Look, the rhetoric from Yormark earlier in the week going into the meetings was that he was going to expand for the sake of expanding. He may be backing off now, but I ignore every article from ESPN regarding realignment, for obvious reasons. Dinich is good, but everyone there is a mouthpiece on this subject.
06-02-2023 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.