Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is Utah doing?
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
What is Utah doing?
So Colorado appears headed to the Big 12. Arizona seems more and more likely too and there's a chance with the same board of regents that ASU and they are a package deal. And ASU's Big Ten chances could've gone up with their AAU admission. Washington/Oregon/Stanford/Cal all also have some semblance of hope to eventually get a Big Ten invite. No guarantees obviously but that's where their hopes are.

So what about Utah? The Big 12 hardly *needs* a second team in the state. And AAU or not I don't see them in the Big Ten. Utah should be grabbing any life raft they can find right now and be the first to accept a Big 12 invitation.
06-02-2023 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: What is Utah doing?
Utah wants the Pac-12 to hold together so they don't have to follow BYU into the Big 12. I think it's a pride issue.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 09:50 AM by Nerdlinger.)
06-02-2023 09:49 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Like everyone else, they are waiting for Kliavkoff to present the media deal options.

Utah and most of the 4C are in wait and see mode. Colorado is the most open minded to realignment but still wont jump will they see the Pac media deal options.
06-02-2023 09:52 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(06-02-2023 09:49 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Utah wants the Pac-12 to hold together so they don't have to follow BYU into the Big 12. I think it's a pride issue.

Yep. It's a two-pronged reason rooted in pride.

1) They worked really hard to get into the Pac 12 and have done well there. They don't want to lose that. They want to stick with Stanford/Cal/UW/UO as long as possible. They like being associated with them.

2) They indeed don't want to follow BYU into the Big 12. They have set themselves above and apart from BYU in the last decade and don't want to go back if they can help it.

So Utah will stay with the Pac 12 as long as possible.
06-02-2023 09:56 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(06-02-2023 09:56 AM)johnintx Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 09:49 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Utah wants the Pac-12 to hold together so they don't have to follow BYU into the Big 12. I think it's a pride issue.

Yep. It's a two-pronged reason rooted in pride.

1) They worked really hard to get into the Pac 12 and have done well there. They don't want to lose that. They want to stick with Stanford/Cal/UW/UO as long as possible. They like being associated with them.

2) They indeed don't want to follow BYU into the Big 12. They have set themselves above and apart from BYU in the last decade and don't want to go back if they can help it.

So Utah will stay with the Pac 12 as long as possible.

Likely easier path to the CFP too as even a diminished PAC will be stronger than the G5 conferences left.
06-02-2023 10:01 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Colorado success under Prime is all speculative, and personally I think he’ll do well. But nobody can pretend losing Colorado will hurt their overall conference performance because they’ve had the worst overall record since they joined.
06-02-2023 10:09 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(06-02-2023 10:09 AM)esayem Wrote:  Colorado success under Prime is all speculative, and personally I think he’ll do well. But nobody can pretend losing Colorado will hurt their overall conference performance because they’ve had the worst overall record since they joined.

It's already successful, he's maximized exposure.

When was the last time we have discussed Colorado this much?
06-02-2023 10:11 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(06-02-2023 10:11 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 10:09 AM)esayem Wrote:  Colorado success under Prime is all speculative, and personally I think he’ll do well. But nobody can pretend losing Colorado will hurt their overall conference performance because they’ve had the worst overall record since they joined.

It's already successful, he's maximized exposure.

When was the last time we have discussed Colorado this much?

What did I say that had anything remotely to do with that? You’re not talking about performance. Colorado has been an on-field drag.
06-02-2023 10:14 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-02-2023 09:52 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Like everyone else, they are waiting for Kliavkoff to present the media deal options.

Utah and most of the 4C are in wait and see mode. Colorado is the most open minded to realignment but still wont jump will they see the Pac media deal options.

Do you really think that all the PAC schools are patiently waiting to see what the various media offers are? Surely they have already seen them and are just hoping Kliavkoff can somehow creatively improve them. I think he's on the clock, and we'll either see some movement or a commitment to stay together before July.
06-02-2023 10:45 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I don’t think being in the same conference with BYU is a deal breaker for Utah.

They ran the WAC together, were instrumental in leaving the WAC and forming a new conference from scratch, were on the same page in adding TCU to strengthen their still new conference and last and not least, they were very vocal on how unfair the BCS was to the MWC.

Utah believes whether they’re right or wrong they have a possible landing spot in the P2. Most of the Pac-12 leftovers with the exception of Oregon State and Washington State (both are not part of the AAU) feel the same way that’s why they’ve been reluctant in jumping to the Big XII. If Utah did not become a AAU school in 2019 or this year then more than likely they would’ve made a decision by now.

The Big XII will be the consolation prize for those Pac-12 and ACC schools who don’t make the cut in the P2. Until then, the likes of Utah are waiting to see what happens first in the B1G and SEC.
06-02-2023 11:09 AM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
Q: What is Utah doing?
A: Praying.
06-02-2023 11:27 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

I don't think it's Pride so much as a smart move. Utah is worth more to a Conference without BYU, and a Conference without BYU is worth more to Utah. Their situation is like a small state version of A&M vs UT. Utah joined the big leagues a decade ago, and, like A&M, they're all grown up now. No longer little brother, but Older Brother is always going to be a force to be reckoned with. If BYU followed Utah to the Pac, they'd probably grumble a bit like we did about Texas, but would ultimately understand, and it would be much easier to swallow knowing that the former Big Brother was now following Grown Up Brother to the newer, better Conference. However, if Utah has to put their tail between their legs and meekly ask the old Big Brother for help, it diminishes their stature in the State. That can't help recruiting, either.

From the big 12's perspective, Utah is a VERY fast-growing State in a good location, and both BYU and Utah are outstanding schools that will bring a whole lot to the Conference. They'll be happy with both if Utah decides they're better off in the big 12, and they'll hold open a spot for Utah for a while if they still need some time to think about things. Maybe they don't hold open a spot FOREVER, but for now they will.
06-02-2023 11:41 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(06-02-2023 11:27 AM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  Q: What is Utah doing?
A: Praying.

Naw, they Reason there. If they were BYU they'd be Praying.
06-02-2023 11:44 AM
superdeluxe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
Like the rest of us, Waiting to see the numbers.
06-02-2023 11:45 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(06-02-2023 11:09 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  I don’t think being in the same conference with BYU is a deal breaker for Utah.
They ran the WAC together, were instrumental in leaving the WAC and forming a new conference from scratch, were on the same page in adding TCU to strengthen their still new conference and last and not least, they were very vocal on how unfair the BCS was to the MWC. 03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

Who has played the conference realignment game better over the last 25 years than Utah and TCU? People act like it’s the schools that are leaking information like sieves who have a good grasp on navigating realignment and not the ones that are mostly quiet.
06-02-2023 11:50 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(06-02-2023 11:41 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Utah is worth more to a Conference without BYU, and a Conference without BYU is worth more to Utah.

I’m sure this maxim sounded good in your head, but it’s nonsensical when applied to the B12

For a conference like the ACC that automatically garners an in-footprint carriage fee, duplicating schools in markets isn’t a good financial idea. It shouldn’t however require repetitive explanation that the B12 TV deal is not now and never has been market-driven or monetized based on market coverage. Anybody who says that the B12 is disincentivized to double up on markets has no understanding of how any of this works.

In a non-market driven conference, there is an opportunity to pair up the most remote school in the conference with a nearby neighbor thus reducing travel costs.

There is an opportunity to add what would be as the 13th member the #1 research school in the conference, the current top-ranked preseason football school in the conference, and the #2 Director’s Cup school in the conference (a few points behind #1 BYU). And also provide the only marquis sports rivalry in the conference.

The BigXII would absolutely be better served by having both. Utah may be a small fish in the CFB world, but BYU-Utah would be the top billing across the breadth of sports in the B12 by a wide margin.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 12:16 PM by jrj84105.)
06-02-2023 12:08 PM
Advertisement

PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Colorado isnt going to the Big 12. Some here are saying the B1G wants them!02-13-banana Good for them I guess!
06-02-2023 12:28 PM
jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU
(06-02-2023 10:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 09:52 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Like everyone else, they are waiting for Kliavkoff to present the media deal options.

Do you really think that all the PAC schools are patiently waiting to see what the various media offers are? Surely they have already seen them and are just hoping Kliavkoff can somehow creatively improve them. I think he's on the clock, and we'll either see some movement or a commitment to stay together before July.

I'd bet the reason CU seem willing to talk to the Big 12, they have seen what is being proposed already. No one is interested in the CW and streaming on Apple.
06-02-2023 12:50 PM
jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU
(06-02-2023 12:28 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  Colorado isnt going to the Big 12. Some here are saying the B1G wants them!02-13-banana Good for them I guess!

Odd, I live in Colorado, it is openly being discussed by the Front Range media. The only sports story getting any play at the moment other than the Nuggets.
06-02-2023 12:53 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Colorado will go 0-12. Shoot, even anyone of us could go 12-0 in one of the worst FCS conference. It would come crashing down that Deion would go 0-12 every year from here on out as a head coach at Colorado.
06-02-2023 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.