Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Six New AAU Members
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Six New AAU Members
UC didn't make the cut again. A couple of real head scratchers (USF and Notre Dame), and I'm surprised that VaTech, NCSU and Colorado State weren't ahead of them.

06-01-2023 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Six New AAU Members
It's a lobbying organization.

Their current membership is very heavy on Northeastern and California-based schools. It's extremely light on Southern & Western schools. Based on that, ASU, Miami, and USF make a lot of sense.

George Washington also makes sense, given the large numbers of GW alumni who go into the government bureaucracy.

Notre Dame was always an obvious candidate given its elite status, even though it lacks a medical school. Its nationwide alumni base also helps.

UC-Riverside is a head-scratcher though. I agree that NCSU or VT would have been better choices.

06-01-2023 12:43 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
san francisco?

06-01-2023 12:47 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

ND was let in so that the B1G won't have to bend their rules for admission.

06-01-2023 01:00 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
??

06-01-2023 01:21 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(06-01-2023 01:21 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  ??
The criteria for AAU membership seems rather mystical.

06-01-2023 01:42 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
AAU is a country club. Notre Dame is part of the club, we are Rodney Dangerfield’s Al Czervik.

06-01-2023 03:40 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(06-01-2023 03:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  AAU is a country club. Notre Dame is part of the club, we are Rodney Dangerfield’s Al Czervik.

Hey everybody. .. we're all going to get laid.

06-01-2023 03:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2023 12:43 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  It's a lobbying organization.

Their current membership is very heavy on Northeastern and California-based schools. It's extremely light on Southern & Western schools. Based on that, ASU, Miami, and USF make a lot of sense.

George Washington also makes sense, given the large numbers of GW alumni who go into the government bureaucracy.

Notre Dame was always an obvious candidate given its elite status, even though it lacks a medical school. Its nationwide alumni base also helps.

UC-Riverside is a head-scratcher though. I agree that NCSU or VT would have been better choices.

AAU is supposed to be research universities. ND is hardly a heavyweight.

UC has more research than USF…

06-01-2023 04:50 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(06-01-2023 04:50 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

They supposedly look very unfavorably on any university that is promoting their candidacy, either publicly or through existing members. Is Ono the gift that keeps giving? Plus, I can't imagine it was well received when he went around town after not getting in and said it was because Ohio State convinced the other B10 schools to blackball UC.

My reading of things were that UC, Colorado State, VaTech and NCSU were the short list, yet none of those got the tap on the shoulder. In any event, Pinto has correctly refocused the university's ambition on getting a Comprehensive Cancer Center designation. If that happens, I think we're in the next time they open up the books.

06-01-2023 05:32 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(06-01-2023 03:59 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(06-01-2023 03:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  AAU is a country club. Notre Dame is part of the club, we are Rodney Dangerfield’s Al Czervik.

This place is restricted mark….so don’t tell them you’re P6’ish!

06-01-2023 07:20 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(06-01-2023 07:20 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-01-2023 03:59 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

This place is restricted mark….so don’t tell them you’re P6’ish!

That's generous.

Some might say I never left cusa

06-01-2023 07:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2023 05:32 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  

They supposedly look very unfavorably on any university that is promoting their candidacy, either publicly or through existing members. Is Ono the gift that keeps giving? Plus, I can't imagine it was well received when he went around town after not getting in and said it was because Ohio State convinced the other B10 schools to blackball UC.

My reading of things were that UC, Colorado State, VaTech and NCSU were the short list, yet none of those got the tap on the shoulder. In any event, Pinto has correctly refocused the university's ambition on getting a Comprehensive Cancer Center designation. If that happens, I think we're in the next time they open up the books.

I dunno. When I look at your list, I think Tech, State, State, and UC all have something in common…

How much of this is politics?

06-01-2023 07:36 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(06-01-2023 07:36 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

I dunno. When I look at your list, I think Tech, State, State, and UC all have something in common…

How much of this is politics?

Very little. OSU was one of a group of B10 schools that lobbied to give Nebraska a few years to straighten themselves out. Not only did they not have anywhere near the clout to stop Nebraska getting kicked out, but several other B10 schools reportedly voted to kick Nebraska out. OSU is not blocking UC from getting in. Ono's mouth did more to keep us out than any supposed power that OSU has over schools like Berkeley and Harvard.

06-01-2023 07:42 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
UC isn’t getting in until it raises its undergrad admissions standards and increases its core A&S graduate school profile. The biggest knock that one can have is being viewed as a trade or vocational school, and that’s sort of where UC is right now with its emphasis on engineering, pharmacy and so on. It’s fine to have those programs, but it must not be seen to be at the expense of liberal arts and “pure “ science.

06-01-2023 08:44 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2023 08:44 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  UC isn’t getting in until it raises its undergrad admissions standards and increases its core A&S graduate school profile. The biggest knock that one can have is being viewed as a trade or vocational school, and that’s sort of where UC is right now with its emphasis on engineering, pharmacy and so on. It’s fine to have those programs, but it must not be seen to be at the expense of liberal arts and “pure “ science.

The school wants to get enrollment up to 60k. Doubt they will get there and be more selective. If anything they might lower standards.

06-02-2023 04:46 AM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(06-02-2023 04:46 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-01-2023 08:44 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  UC isn’t getting in until it raises its undergrad admissions standards and increases its core A&S graduate school profile. The biggest knock that one can have is being viewed as a trade or vocational school, and that’s sort of where UC is right now with its emphasis on engineering, pharmacy and so on. It’s fine to have those programs, but it must not be seen to be at the expense of liberal arts and “pure “ science.

The school wants to get enrollment up to 60k. Doubt they will get there and be more selective. If anything they might lower standards.

The demographics facing institutions of Higher Learning are stark: beginning with the high school class of 2025, there won't be enough students to fill every possible student slot available in colleges and universities. Think about that for a moment: even if EVERY graduating senior were to "go to college," there STILL would be more availability than demand. Couple that with the simple fact that FEWER students are choosing to attend traditional colleges...more students are opting to pursue trade schools or just "do something else"...the Higher Education industry is going to face a major winnowing out.

I suspect that the enrollment has hit it's "high water mark." It's kind of like our debates on "Stadium Size": NOT EVERY SCHOOL HAS TO BE 60K+ enrollment. Find your niche, dominate your niche through quality.

06-02-2023 06:02 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(06-02-2023 06:02 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

The demographics facing institutions of Higher Learning are stark: beginning with the high school class of 2025, there won't be enough students to fill every possible student slot available in colleges and universities. Think about that for a moment: even if EVERY graduating senior were to "go to college," there STILL would be more availability than demand. Couple that with the simple fact that FEWER students are choosing to attend traditional colleges...more students are opting to pursue trade schools or just "do something else"...the Higher Education industry is going to face a major winnowing out.

I suspect that the enrollment has hit it's "high water mark." It's kind of like our debates on "Stadium Size": NOT EVERY SCHOOL HAS TO BE 60K+ enrollment. Find your niche, dominate your niche through quality.

I’ve posted it before but I don’t see how they get it up to 60k unless they either expand the online programs, build a satellite campus elsewhere or buy out an existing university, branch campus or JUCO. Otherwise, you have to accept and enroll every person who applies each year and retain them.

06-02-2023 09:27 AM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(06-02-2023 09:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 06:02 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I agree. With Ohio's demographics and having to compete with Miami and OSU (and the latter taking in 7K freshman classes and stockpiling another 1K well qualified kids at their branch campuses), I just don't see how 60K can be done without lowering admission standards.

I’ve posted it before but I don’t see how they get it up to 60k unless they either expand the online programs, build a satellite campus elsewhere or buy out an existing university, branch campus or JUCO. Otherwise, you have to accept and enroll every person who applies each year and retain them.

I agree. With Ohio's current demographics and having to compete against Miami and OSU (the latter of which is taking in 7K freshman classes and stockpiling another 1K well prepared kids at its branch campuses), I don't see how UC can get to 60K without lowering admissions standards.

And I've been saying for some time on here, that it needs to strengthen its A&S departments. Until it can show a good cross section of departments like History, Political Science, Chemistry or Physics that at least crack the top 50 or 60, it will be a real uphill battle to get in.

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 09:55 AM by Bearcat 1985.)
06-02-2023 09:52 AM
ZCat Offline
1st String

Thank you for posting! I love this topic.
Last sentence sounds more promising than the last post you made.

06-02-2023 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.