Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE - 2023
Bookmark and Share
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
FOOTBALL SCHEDULE - 2023
Kind of a weird schedule set up for Toledo this year. On the road in week 1 against Illinois on Sept. 2nd. Then they play 4 staight home games - all on Saturdays - which is great. Sept 9, Texas Souther, Sept 16 San Jose State, Sept. 23 Western Michigan, and Sept. 30 - NIU. Then they go on the road for 3 straight Oct. 7 (OOC vs. UMass), Oct. 14 vs. Ball State and Oct. 21 vs. Miami. The next home game is on Oct. 31, which will be against Buffalo on a Tuesday night.

So when will Homecoming be when you play 4 games at home in Sept, and the only home game in October is on Halloween night - on a Tuesday. The next game is the following week on a Wednesday night against EMU, then 2 games on the road against BG (Nov. 14 - Tuesday night) and Nov. 24 (day after Thanksgiving in Mount Pleasant vs. CMU.

How to alienate your fan base. Play 4 home games in September, then expect them to show up a month later for a Tuesday night game on Halloween - and not have any semblance of a Homecoming game after one or more away games (thus the name Homecoming).
05-31-2023 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigBigRocketFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: FOOTBALL SCHEDULE - 2023
05-31-2023 01:59 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(05-31-2023 01:45 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  How to alienate your fan base. Play 4 home games in September, then expect them to show up a month later for a Tuesday night game on Halloween - and not have any semblance of a Homecoming game after one or more away games (thus the name Homecoming).

4 home games on 4 Saturdays in September is actually pretty good. Weather should be nice, so no issues with that. Then the 2 week night games are 'early' in the season for week night games - 10/31 and 11/8 - so the weather shouldn't be too harsh at that time.

And Homecoming has nothing to do with 'coming home after a road game.' It is about alumni coming home to the university.
05-31-2023 04:45 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

Home opener vs. FCS is a 3:30 kickoff. I can't remember the last time we played an opener or FCS during the day. Bizarre.
05-31-2023 11:14 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-31-2023 04:45 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(05-31-2023 01:45 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  How to alienate your fan base. Play 4 home games in September, then expect them to show up a month later for a Tuesday night game on Halloween - and not have any semblance of a Homecoming game after one or more away games (thus the name Homecoming).

4 home games on 4 Saturdays in September is actually pretty good. Weather should be nice, so no issues with that. Then the 2 week night games are 'early' in the season for week night games - 10/31 and 11/8 - so the weather shouldn't be too harsh at that time.

And Homecoming has nothing to do with 'coming home after a road game.' It is about alumni coming home to the university.

Interesting. I stand corrected. I read or heard a long time ago that Homecoming was for a gathering of support for the team coming home after a road game - and was therefore scheduled after a road game. I guess I trusted the source and never thought much about it after that - until seeing the full month of Saturdays without having a home game.

Yes - the 4 home games in Sept. is nice, but not (in my mind) at the expense of having no home games in October - which tends to define football weather in what is called the Mid(dle of) America(n) Conference. Those are just memories and not based on climate change or the shift in demographics over the decades. Just want to put that out there for clarity rather than rely on what I think I know to be a common understanding of those terms.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2023 07:58 AM by MotoRocket.)
06-01-2023 07:56 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Best schedule ever if WMU is a 7pm kick. 4 great weather (temperature) games after the big season opener on prime time in week 1.

Apple Orchards and Pumpkin patches in October when it cools off... and a beautiful date in Oxford for their biggest game of the season. Cannot beat this.

If BG comes back to Saturdays I want it to be a home game. Make their crowd suffer as much as possible (it hardly will), and the country gets to see it.
06-01-2023 08:08 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-31-2023 11:14 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Home opener vs. FCS is a 3:30 kickoff. I can't remember the last time we played an opener or FCS during the day. Bizarre.

It is strange. Might be them scheduling the flight back out on Saturday night rather than paying for an extra night of hotel costs. Must have been scraping the bottom of the barrell to find a team to play that Saturday that stated they would take the game - but only if they could get out on Saturday night and be back to Texas at a relatively good time (by midnight in Texas). We lost a sure victory by having Stoney Brook forced to leave the game that was in a long weather delay on a home opener in 2015. If I remember correctly, they had scheduled the charter flight back for late Saturday night and could not come out to finish the game after the weather cleared without a bunch of logistic issues to deal with - and a much higher cost. Just guessing at why the early time for the game this year. I would think Toledo would have wanted it to be later. Maybe not.
06-01-2023 08:22 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(06-01-2023 08:22 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(05-31-2023 11:14 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Home opener vs. FCS is a 3:30 kickoff. I can't remember the last time we played an opener or FCS during the day. Bizarre.

It is strange. Might be them scheduling the flight back out on Saturday night rather than paying for an extra night of hotel costs. Must have been scraping the bottom of the barrell to find a team to play that Saturday that stated they would take the game - but only if they could get out on Saturday night and be back to Texas at a relatively good time (by midnight in Texas). We lost a sure victory by having Stoney Brook forced to leave the game that was in a long weather delay on a home opener in 2015. If I remember correctly, they had scheduled the charter flight back for late Saturday night and could not come out to finish the game after the weather cleared without a bunch of logistic issues to deal with - and a much higher cost. Just guessing at why the early time for the game this year. I would think Toledo would have wanted it to be later. Maybe not.

I like the late afternoon starts personally. Tailgate before and after the game, or get a nice dinner after. Easier for out of town fans.
06-01-2023 09:37 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

Homecoming is Sept 30th-known that since initial schedule was released months ago...know we finally know time
06-01-2023 11:05 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I thought opportunities for TV coverage determined game times-perhaps no network interested in that game and it just falls to 330pm (which I suspect may also avoid TV games at noon or in evening for UM and OSU fans)
06-01-2023 11:07 AM
magoo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TOLEDO

Why do even play these FCS games? We should be trying to play the best schedule/competition available.....
06-05-2023 03:15 PM
Advertisement

rocketinchitown2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo, Ohio State
my dad has been a rockets season ticket holder my entire life and this schedule is so bad to him that he continues to waver resigning. After a championship season too....
06-05-2023 08:26 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(06-05-2023 08:26 PM)rocketinchitown2 Wrote:  my dad has been a rockets season ticket holder my entire life and this schedule is so bad to him that he continues to waver resigning. After a championship season too....

Any FCS and San Jose State is certainly a letdown for OOC home opponents...and then there's Umass on the road (worst addition ever for MOB's resume). Wish the new AD would do away with FCS opponents. We don't need to play them when we have an entire MAC slate already.
06-05-2023 08:37 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(06-05-2023 08:37 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(06-05-2023 08:26 PM)rocketinchitown2 Wrote:  my dad has been a rockets season ticket holder my entire life and this schedule is so bad to him that he continues to waver resigning. After a championship season too....

Any FCS and San Jose State is certainly a letdown for OOC home opponents...and then there's Umass on the road (worst addition ever for MOB's resume). Wish the new AD would do away with FCS opponents. We don't need to play them when we have an entire MAC slate already.

San Jose St knocked off WMU 34-6 last season. A Bronco team that the Rockets didn't beat. The past few seasons, SJS has been better than a number of teams that have visited
the GB. Then you have the historic meeting of UT and the Spartans in 1981 California Bowl.
Bottom line I would go to watch Rockets because I love UT. Should be another good year, coming off the MACC and the Boca Raton Bowl victory. This could be a very special year for the Rockets.
06-06-2023 01:05 AM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Isn’t Saturday September games what we have always wanted? Well now we apparently have too many of them for some people. Some people just always have to complain no matter what
06-06-2023 07:46 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(06-05-2023 08:37 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Just my 2 cents, but with 4 OOC slots to fill every season, you'd like to give your squad a relatively easy tune-up.

WMU has three P5 road games this season (ugh). I couldn't imagine a fourth P5 or tough G5, even if that game was home.
06-06-2023 08:03 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(06-06-2023 07:46 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  Isn’t Saturday September games what we have always wanted? Well now we apparently have too many of them for some people. Some people just always have to complain no matter what

Literally unbelievable. I don't know a single person mad about 4 September home games... except for on here and Twitter. Half hate the BG date (understandable)... but SJSU? They are a top 5 MWC squad. They also open with USC and Oregon State. They'll be ready for us. Far better than CSU (beat us), Fresno State and Nevada teams who have visited the GB recently.
06-06-2023 08:38 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(06-06-2023 08:38 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(06-06-2023 07:46 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  Isn’t Saturday September games what we have always wanted? Well now we apparently have too many of them for some people. Some people just always have to complain no matter what

Literally unbelievable. I don't know a single person mad about 4 September home games... except for on here and Twitter. Half hate the BG date (understandable)... but SJSU? They are a top 5 MWC squad. They also open with USC and Oregon State. They'll be ready for us. Far better than CSU (beat us), Fresno State and Nevada teams who have visited the GB recently.

I was actually thinking about taking the train to the game out there.
06-06-2023 08:56 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(06-05-2023 03:15 PM)magoo Wrote:  

Why do even play these FCS games? We should be trying to play the best schedule/competition available.....

Rockets can try to schedule any number of different P5 or even G5 schools-does not mean those teams willing to play in Glass Bowl or have space in schedule to do so.. UT has done pretty good over the years with great non-conference games, home and away series or just one game...but can't be easy to always get them.
06-06-2023 02:42 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(06-06-2023 08:38 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Would not say I "hate" the 4 Sept games, but would have been nice to have one of those in mid October, Sunday game - peak football season and weather, spread games throughout season..it going to be odd to go one whole month with no home game (when was last time that happened?)
06-06-2023 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.