Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the SEC give Wake Forest a partial membership??
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Would the SEC give Wake Forest a partial membership??
If that is what it took to make sure that UNC & NC State went to the SEC??? And, would Wake Forest accept??
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2023 12:22 PM by DawgNBama.)
05-26-2023 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Would the SEC give Wake Forest a partial membership??
Without even knowing what a partial SEC membership would even mean, the answer is no.
05-26-2023 12:25 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Im not sure the SEC needs or wants any part of Wake Forest or NC St. Why bother with partial memberships?
05-26-2023 12:32 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
No. Even assuming this was a factor, which it's not, UNC doesn't have to go to the SEC. The line is long enough all on its own.
05-26-2023 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Wake Forest? No chance. Too small.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2023 12:39 PM by Yosef181.)
05-26-2023 12:38 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
The SEC eventually will likely lure either North Carolina or N.C. State (and maybe both).

As a Vanderbilt fan, I hugely respect Wake (great baseball team this season). But the SEC has one Wake Forest already (VU) and that's sufficient. Now, could the SEC want Duke ... that's a whole different matter (due to elite academics and men's hoops).
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2023 12:40 PM by bill dazzle.)
05-26-2023 12:39 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(05-26-2023 12:38 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  No. Even assuming this was a factor, which it's not, UNC doesn't have to go to the SEC. The line is long enough all on its own.

Basically, this would be throwing Wake a bone to keep them from torpedoing a Mag 7 move to the SEC.
05-26-2023 12:43 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-26-2023 12:43 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 12:38 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  No. Even assuming this was a factor, which it's not, UNC doesn't have to go to the SEC. The line is long enough all on its own.

Basically, this would be throwing Wake a bone to keep them from torpedoing a Mag 7 move to the SEC.

That assumes there is even a way to get out of the ACC GOR which is unclear. Even if they dissolve the conference it is still unclear.
05-26-2023 12:49 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(05-26-2023 12:21 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If that is what it took to make sure that UNC & NC State went to the SEC??? And, would Wake Forest accept??

Just because the kid brother gets in the frat as a legacy doesn't mean the nondescript runt down the street also is entitled to a spot
05-26-2023 12:58 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(05-26-2023 12:43 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Basically, this would be throwing Wake a bone to keep them from torpedoing a Mag 7 move to the SEC.

Wake's energy would be better spent kissing up to Yormark than any fantasy of SEC membership
05-26-2023 01:01 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
No. The SEC doesn’t allow affiliates so I don’t see them changing bylaws for Wake Forest.
05-27-2023 06:30 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(05-26-2023 12:58 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 12:21 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If that is what it took to make sure that UNC & NC State went to the SEC??? And, would Wake Forest accept??

Just because the kid brother gets in the frat as a legacy doesn't mean the nondescript runt down the street also is entitled to a spot

That's an extreme analogy, but I kinda look at NC St like this. No disrespect intended here, but NC St is a whole lot like the 4c and a bunch of big 12 schools. Or are they? NC St has been last or next to last in ACC Athletics revenue every year for the past 5 years. They don't have any titles or near titles like TCU or UVA. They don't have elite basketball like Duke, Kansas, or much of the big 12, Arizona, and the ACC. They're like the Texas Tech of North Carolina, ie, a good school, but clear also-ran, and at least Texas Tech had the wisdom to be an also-ran in a huge state. Colorado and KU are Flagship AAU schools, they both probably get consideration before NC St.

There are a couple things working in NC State's favor. #1 is if UNC joins the B1G. Yet, even then, could you imagine the B1G adding NC St if UNC chose the SEC? They might look at Duke, but not NC St. I think it would be the same with the SEC. We want UNC, if they go in a different direction then we might consider Duke, but not NC St. #2 is if both the P2 jump to 24 or especially 28 teams. Geography probably gets them in at 28, and maybe at 24. But if we go to only 20? Not a chance.
05-27-2023 11:09 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...I'm just wondering how long before the SEC (and ALL other conferences) end up with the 'unequal revenue sharing' deal... The SEC prides itself on 'all for one, one for all', which is a hard thing to argue against, but with the 'water mark' for elite programs being set so high, the 'gap' between programs even WITHIN the SEC will widen to the point to where the top Dawgs (pun sorta intended) are going to want a 'new deal'.

With that, the 'baseline' distributions per year for the conference would be more palatible to the 'major players' as an offer to most any school they would be interested in, as long as the 'gravy' from championships is treated as victor's spoil only...
05-27-2023 11:36 AM
World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
Better chance they give Vanderbilt the boot
05-27-2023 11:41 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Why would the SEC even entertain taking WF just to make UNC happy??? I mean if the SEC is indeed taking UNC then I would think the near $70million they would see would be gratitude enough, and their not even linked to them like NCState is.
05-27-2023 01:35 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Yes. Brett McMurphy tweeting the SEC has invited Wake Forest as a partial member is imminent.
05-27-2023 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'

No, never will Wake be invited, even partially, whatever that means. It's moot whether they'd accept.

As for UNC and NC State being a package, well that won't fly any more than Cal and UCLA or OU and OK State or UW and WSU being a package. North Carolina regents will be told point blank it's UNC alone or forget it. That message will come from both the SEC and B1G when asked.

Let's be frank about this. NC State (Altimore and all other data) has slightly below average P5 following or as I call it "generic P5 value." What is more they are a 2nd tier school for in-state students, with a similar profile but less rabid fan base as Washington State. UNC owns the state, has high prestige and delivers everything a network would want. NC State adds nothing to that and is neither a pier to UNC nor the top rival. Duke and Virginia provide that, especially in basketball. ESPN is not going to pay $80M to move a generic school like NC State to the SEC. It's barely justifiable for UNC to become a SEC member, so you need a high value partner or at least a strategic market partner to make the numbers work.

This is no knock on NC State. There are a lot of good schools in the Big 12, ACC and Pac-12 that are legitimate major programs, but simply lack the value necessary to get an invite to the SEC or B1G. We are talking schools like Kansas, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, TCU, Syracuse, Texas Tech, Pitt, Louisville, Arizona State, Baylor, BYU and maybe even Cal, Stanford and Duke who simply won't make the cut. It's a hard pill to swallow, but that is where things have gotten to.
05-27-2023 02:07 PM
gwelymernans Offline
2nd String

I Root For: psu
(05-27-2023 11:36 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...I'm just wondering how long before the SEC (and ALL other conferences) end up with the 'unequal revenue sharing' deal... The SEC prides itself on 'all for one, one for all', which is a hard thing to argue against, but with the 'water mark' for elite programs being set so high, the 'gap' between programs even WITHIN the SEC will widen to the point to where the top Dawgs (pun sorta intended) are going to want a 'new deal'.

With that, the 'baseline' distributions per year for the conference would be more palatible to the 'major players' as an offer to most any school they would be interested in, as long as the 'gravy' from championships is treated as victor's spoil only...

A kill what you eat approach w/ respect to CFP/Bowl/NCAAT appearances might be accepted by the lower value P2 brands. I just can't see the P2 creating multiple tiers of revenue based upon TV appearance valuations to justify adding more schools.
05-28-2023 01:33 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-26-2023 12:39 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  The SEC eventually will likely lure either North Carolina or N.C. State (and maybe both).

As a Vanderbilt fan, I hugely respect Wake (great baseball team this season). But the SEC has one Wake Forest already (VU) and that's sufficient. Now, could the SEC want Duke ... that's a whole different matter (due to elite academics and men's hoops).

Bill, Wake Forest is an elite academic institution in it's own right.
05-28-2023 07:10 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Winston-Salem would be an excellent geographical and logistical location for the SEC. The problem is size; the smallest undergraduate student body in P5. Tuition is very expensive at Wake. The fan base is not extensive enough for SEC standards. The fb stadium is built for 30k.

IMO, for certain assessment dimensions, Wake Forest gets overly dissed on this chat site. Their athletic programs show stability, and they do have their moments of success during recent times. Overall, I wouldn’t use terms such as dominant or impressive; but I would call Wake ACC competitive and generally respectable.
05-28-2023 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.