Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Volleyball 2023
Bookmark and Share
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Volleyball 2023
Google Doc that will be updated when more schools post their schedules.

WKU schedule is out

UTEP schedule is out. I am glad to see that NMSU and UTEP continued the Borderland Invite (ASU and San Fran).

Liberty schedule is out. They get a tournament in Hawai'i with Hawai'i, UCLA and Pepperdine.

The other members have not announced their schedules. NMSU is usually one of the last.

Looks like back to back matches this season for the conference games. I know many conferences went to this after COVID. Was C-USA doing this prior to COVID?
05-20-2023 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Volleyball 2023
No. This is a change. Never seen scheduling like this before. A lot of times we would play FRI/Sun against two different teams--whether on the road or home.

EXAMPLE: 2022

WKU at North Texas Oct. 14th (Fri.)--travel-- then WKU at UTSA Oct. 16th (Sun.)

HOME example--vs FIU Sept. 30th (FRI), vs Charlotte Oct. 2nd (Sun)

There were a few single team w-ends and a few FRI/Sat--- but with two different conf. teams.

It looks weird IMO.

Might be doing this to save MONEY OR because there are only nine teams? There were eleven teams in 2022.

Are we all THAT broke??
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023 07:40 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
05-20-2023 07:10 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

We fly to NMSU for Volleyball--but play UTEP at home? Why have travel partners?

Seems like it would make more sense to play BOTH those schools on the SAME trip (FRI/SAT or SUN).
05-20-2023 07:15 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(05-20-2023 07:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  No. This is a change. Never seen scheduling like this before. A lot of times we would play FRI/Sun against two different teams--whether on the road or home.

CUSA did this in 2021 during a non COVID season.

Big XII is actually doing this now

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-vo...l/schedule
05-21-2023 05:41 AM
Advertisement

RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

The WAC did this the past two seasons which is why I ask. The basic gist as explained was that it reduces overall travel cost for the team during the season. One hotel, one flight, one rental. So I can sort of see that. It does also mean that there is not home-and-home. So I would bet that in the case of NMSU-UTEP each school will go to one of the schools, and then receive the other one, ie. WKU is at NMSU but plays UTEP at home.
05-21-2023 06:43 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(05-21-2023 06:43 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  The WAC did this the past two seasons which is why I ask. The basic gist as explained was that it reduces overall travel cost for the team during the season. One hotel, one flight, one rental. So I can sort of see that. It does also mean that there is not home-and-home. So I would bet that in the case of NMSU-UTEP each school will go to one of the schools, and then receive the other one, ie. WKU is at NMSU but plays UTEP at home.

The WAC did not do this the last two years; what are you talking about?!? Sam Houston always had travel partners in scheduling for volleyball; CUSA is the one that has a bit of history with this scheduling format and not the WAC (at least two during the two seasons that Sam participated).
05-21-2023 08:28 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Maybe we go back to the old way after we get back to ten teams.

Example-- It makes NO sense for UTEP to fly to KSU (Atlanta airport) play the Owls without busing to JSU (90 minutes) and play them the same weekend.

WKU--MT

SHSU--LA Tech

UTEP--NMSU

KSU--JSU
05-22-2023 12:40 AM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

The current format does make me wonder if coaches, ADs and SWAs thought it would be easier on their student athletes. The travel outside of the Liberty / FIU travel pair which requires a flight is relatively easy but believe TOPSTRAIGHT point about waiting til it’s even at 10 could be why the one year model here.
05-22-2023 06:29 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(05-22-2023 12:40 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Maybe we go back to the old way after we get back to ten teams.

Example-- It makes NO sense for UTEP to fly to KSU (Atlanta airport) play the Owls without busing to JSU (90 minutes) and play them the same weekend.

WKU--MT

SHSU--LA Tech

UTEP--NMSU

KSU--JSU

This way you only need four flights and don’t have to go through the hassle of moving to a different city in between matches. They probably will have a different format once we get to ten members.

Also, Kennesaw won’t join until 2024 so we don’t have a travel partner for the 2023 season.
05-22-2023 07:18 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

(05-21-2023 08:28 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  The WAC did not do this the last two years; what are you talking about?!? Sam Houston always had travel partners in scheduling for volleyball; CUSA is the one that has a bit of history with this scheduling format and not the WAC (at least two during the two seasons that Sam participated).

Sorry, you were correct. I was remembering 2020. My mistake. The SEC has sort of dabbled with this schedule during the last few seasons.
05-22-2023 09:08 AM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2023 11:07 AM by TexasTerror.)
05-22-2023 11:07 AM
UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(05-21-2023 05:41 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(05-20-2023 07:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  No. This is a change. Never seen scheduling like this before. A lot of times we would play FRI/Sun against two different teams--whether on the road or home.

CUSA did this in 2021 during a non COVID season.

Big XII is actually doing this now

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-vo...l/schedule

That Big 12 schedule is interesting. With a 13-team league (Oklahoma State does not play VB), the Big 12 plays six teams with the CUSA format (back-to-back) and then six teams in a single match, so that it comes out to:
3 home series (2 games each for 6 games total)
3 away series (2 games each for 6 games total)
3 home single matches
3 away single matches
= total 18 conference matches

if I had to guess for CUSA going forward (when its 10 teams in 2024), CUSA will go to 4 away match series, 4 home match series and then a home-and-home with the travel partner:
NMSU-UTEP
LT-SHSU
MTSU-WKU
KSU-JSU
FIU-Liberty

My guess is CUSA will play each other pair in a series at home and a series away, so for example WKU's conference schedule in 2024 may look like this

@NMSU Sat/Sun
v UTEP Sat/Sun
@LT Fri/Sat
v SHSU Fri/Sat
@MTSU Wed
v KSU Sat/Sun
@ JSU Sat/Sun
@FIU Fri/Sat
v Liberty Fri/Sat
v MTSU Wed
05-22-2023 12:08 PM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

Middle Tennessee's Schedule is now out - https://goblueraiders.com/sports/womens-...l/schedule

Clemson Tournament
Iowa Tournament
Auburn Tournament
George Mason Tournament
@ NMSU
vs Liberty
@ FIU
vs SHSU
@ La Tech
vs UNC Ashville
vs UTEP
@ JSU
vs WKU

Conference Tournament at Liberty 17-19 November
05-24-2023 07:45 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

All schedules are now posted and available here. As a Aggie alum living in Georgia, I am going to try and make the drive over for the Jax St. games. KSU will be 2 hours from my house, so that will be really nice.

P5 schools and Big West (very strong volleyball conference) on schedules:

MTSU seems to have the most difficult schedule. WKU is pretty solid as well.
07-08-2023 05:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.