Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Howlraiser - Extinction Level Asteroids
Bookmark and Share
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Howlraiser - Extinction Level Asteroids
Ark St has a fan who writes tongue in cheek articles periodically.
The latest one is quite interesting: https://howlraiser.com/2023/05/18/howlra...-sun-belt/

If his calculations are correct, JMU has the largest SBC population center in a 27 mile wide area at 6,686,721 people. That's actually quite impressive if true, and a nice population base to grow on as a FBS team.

That's larger than what he calculates for Georgia St (5,704,109) in Atlanta or ODU (4,226,647) in Norfolk and they have far more competition from other schools, particularly Atlanta.

I'm not sure if this is getting into suburb type areas of Richmond or Charlottesville, or just Shenandoah Valley, but it's a bigger number than I expected. It also discounts the sizable fanbase we have in Northern Virginia.

Perhaps our "market" isn't quite so small after all.
Honestly, I'm just a little suspicious he screwed up the location or calculation in this article, ha 03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2023 11:32 PM by JMURocks.)
05-18-2023 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Howlraiser - Extinction Level Asteroids
I mean he wrote that JMU was in "Harrisburg, VA" and the map image has "Harrisburg" written overtop of it, but the map does show Harrisonburg...*shrugs*

With this kind of market reach, we're a shoe in for a future opening in the ACC!
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023 05:30 AM by GaryMatthews.)
05-19-2023 05:30 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

I think the template he used in the school write ups changed the 247 mile death zone to a 27 mile death zone from his lead in. Looks like WaPo or ESPN level editor work. He could be a professional.
05-19-2023 06:52 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2023 06:52 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  I think the template he used in the school write ups changed the 247 mile death zone to a 27 mile death zone from his lead in. Looks like WaPo or ESPN level editor work. He could be a professional.

Ah, good catch. I was thinking maybe he used Harrisburg, PA for JMU, but this makes more sense. Didn't read the lead in carefully.

It must either be that, or the greater HBurg metropolis is about to put Manhattan to shame.

Was also trying to decipher if he was using radius or diameter. If he was calculating based on diameter ("miles wide"), a 124 mile radius could actually be a reasonable trip for gameday crowds. That's about the road distance from Harrisonburg to northern virginia (though radius "as the bird flies" would be shorter). Similar range for Richmond.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023 07:57 AM by JMURocks.)
05-19-2023 07:04 AM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Satire guys...there's only 8.5m people in all of VA
05-19-2023 08:01 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(05-19-2023 08:01 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Satire guys...there's only 8.5m people in all of VA

Depending as JMURocks said, if it is radius then 247mi would include; Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Wilmington DE, Greensboro NC, and suburbs of Philly and Pittsburgh. Diameter would be a lot less but still some significant population centers.
05-19-2023 12:54 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Read the lead-in again and finally solved the puzzle.

He was using the Asteroid Launcher simulation here
https://neal.fun/asteroid-launcher/

His article had a broken link due to a typo. It's actually kinda a fun thing to play with on a Friday afternoon.

Article mentioned parameters of 67,000 miles per hour and 60 degree angle. Haven't been able to replicate his results yet though.

Wiping out opposing fanbase stadiums is fun, will give him that.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023 01:29 PM by JMURocks.)
05-19-2023 01:28 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(05-19-2023 01:28 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Read the lead-in again and finally solved the puzzle.

He was using the Asteroid Launcher simulation here
https://neal.fun/asteroid-launcher/

His article had a broken link due to a typo. It's actually kinda a fun thing to play with on a Friday afternoon.

Article mentioned parameters of 67,000 miles per hour and 60 degree angle. Haven't been able to replicate his results yet though.

Wiping out opposing fanbase stadiums is fun, will give him that.

I think he used a carbon asteroid as his similator. An Iron one or Gold would be more devestating.

It make sense the Burg would have a very large kill zone as the nuke threat assessment has always indicated the area from the panhandle of WV up to about Harrisburg PA would cause the most death due to the blast cone and fallout. Rocktown being only about 80 miles south of that zone would still be pretty bad.
05-19-2023 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.