Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yotes on Thin Ice
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Yotes on Thin Ice
Quote:The Arizona Coyotes conceded defeat after Tempe voters rejected their proposed $2.1 billion development by a seemingly insurmountable margin, after all of the early ballots were counted Tuesday.

Maricopa County election officials said they counted some 29,153 ballots cast before Election Day. There were not enough same-day ballots left to count to overturn the losing margins.

Tuesday's unofficial tally shows similar trends among the three ballot items ― Propositions 301, 302 and 303 — all of which needed to receive a majority of "yes" votes in order for the Coyotes project to move forward. Each one was losing by a 56% to 44% margin, with the exception of Prop. 303, which was losing 57% to 43%.

The result, if confirmed, throws doubt over the future of the National Hockey League team, which had staked its future on a new arena and a related entertainment and residential project on the western fringe of Tempe Town Lake.

Local opponents of the plan were thrilled.

AZCentral.com

05-17-2023 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

RE: Yotes on Thin Ice
The deal would have involved the construction of an entertainment district including a new arena for the Coyotes. The proposed location was on 46 acres of land just east of the Arizona State campus along the south bank of the Salt River.

If passed, the City of Tempe would have been responsible for funding the cleanup of the site, which in the past was used as a landfill. However, the development itself would have included a significant portion of private funding.

With voters rejecting the three propositions, the future of professional hockey in the Grand Canyon State look grim.

If the 'Yotes relocate, which city is most likely to benefit?

-Houston
-Atlanta
-Salt Lake City
-Quebec City
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023 08:58 AM by BobcatEngineer.)
05-17-2023 08:52 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Bettman will twist arms to keep them in Arizona. This relocation is his baby.
05-17-2023 09:13 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Sad.

Problem here was towns are very resistant to building arenas. Happens everywhere.

I’m not sure how ‘Bettman will twist arms’ to keep them there if they don’t have an arena. Only chance is if Suns owner steps in.

They can't just stay at Arizona St's arena?
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023 09:48 AM by Bronco'14.)
05-17-2023 09:47 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Bettman can’t afford to let this fail. It’s egg on his face.
05-17-2023 10:04 AM
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

(05-17-2023 09:47 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  They can't just stay at Arizona St's arena?

Mullett Arena was only supposed to be a temporary fix until a new stadium gets built. I can't imagine the NHL would allow them to stay there for more than a few years.

There's only 5,000 seats at Mullett, which would make it the smallest arena in the NHL by roughly 10,000 seats.

Winnipeg currently has the smallest arena at 15,300 seats.
05-17-2023 10:19 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
This really sucks. A lot of misinformation from the No side. My office overlooks the proposed building site, and it would have been great.

A lot of the No people think that someone else will build there - maybe, but it will end up requiring more city money to redo the site and clean up the landfill.

Stupid, short-sighted decision from NIMBYs
05-17-2023 12:19 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(05-17-2023 12:19 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  This really sucks. A lot of misinformation from the No side. My office overlooks the proposed building site, and it would have been great.

A lot of the No people think that someone else will build there - maybe, but it will end up requiring more city money to redo the site and clean up the landfill.

Stupid, short-sighted decision from NIMBYs

It was one of the most municipal-friendly arena deals in NHL/NBA/MLB history. 65+ NIMBYs killed it.
[Image: p0x7w94uvg0b1.png]
05-17-2023 02:30 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Owner / team announced they will be playing in Arizona St’s arena next season
05-18-2023 08:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.