Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

M7 reports of the ACC death are vastly premature
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
M7 reports of the ACC death are vastly premature
After reading up on the recent news from Dellinger and McMurphy, it doesn't seem apparent to me that the M7 (UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, NCSt, VT) are actually trying to destroy the ACC. What seems far more likely is that UNC FSU and Clemson have looked into the grant of rights and their associated rivals have also looked at the grants of Rights. Looking at the grant of rights should not be taken as an endorsement of dissolving the league. More likely these associated rivals, likely in conjunction with UNC FSU and Clemson, want to see the potential of moving together. That is likely contingent on there being invites from the Big 10 or SEC. Nothing in this reporting leads me to believe that is the case.

Think about it what is the largest blowback to conference realignment. It is the loss of associated rivalry games. I highly doubt UNC wants to leave behind NC State or UVA. The associated Boards of Regents of these universities would be doing their due diligence to ensure they have a firm understanding of the grants of Rights. If anyone were to leave they would want to come with as many rivals as possible, to limit blowback from their fan bases.

Don't get me wrong I have always been an ACC Doomer, but the dissolution date is likely 2034, after a negotiated settlement. This all seems like bluster for unequal revenue sharing or a bizarre blowup my house unless you pay us more ESPN negotiating tactic. Niether is likely to have the desired outcome.
05-15-2023 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LazygonInfinity Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou
RE: M7 reports of the ACC death are vastly premature
Before I clicked the thread, I knew it would be a fan of an ACC school not in the “Majestic Seven” who started it. Kind of like how all the four corner schools to the Big 12 are started by UCF or BYU fans.
05-15-2023 05:48 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-15-2023 05:48 PM)LazygonInfinity Wrote:  Before I clicked the thread, I knew it would be a fan of an ACC school not in the “Majestic Seven” who started it. Kind of like how all the four corner schools to the Big 12 are started by UCF or BYU fans.

He's right though. The idea that they are going to be able to negotiate an exit 13 years in advance is wishful thinking.

Why would ESPN pay an extra $350 million a year for the same schools it currently has under contract for no reason. Also, they would have to do something for the remaining 7 5/8th schools to get them to agree to it.

Personally, I hope the ACC stays together until 2036 at least and if we lose anyone, I hope it's only 1 school.
05-15-2023 06:23 PM
random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
I believe what M7 really want to accomplish now is uneven revenue sharing. And possibly expansion.
05-15-2023 06:27 PM
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(05-15-2023 06:23 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(05-15-2023 05:48 PM)LazygonInfinity Wrote:  Before I clicked the thread, I knew it would be a fan of an ACC school not in the “Majestic Seven” who started it. Kind of like how all the four corner schools to the Big 12 are started by UCF or BYU fans.

He's right though. The idea that they are going to be able to negotiate an exit 13 years in advance is wishful thinking.

Why would ESPN pay an extra $350 million a year for the same schools it currently has under contract for no reason. Also, they would have to do something for the remaining 7 5/8th schools to get them to agree to it.

Personally, I hope the ACC stays together until 2036 at least and if we lose anyone, I hope it's only 1 school.

The big thing is noone has made a coherent arguements for why:

1. ESPN would pay more for what they already own
2. Who is going to pay for these moves when FOX, NBC, and CBS would not get 200 mil for Oregon and Washington COLLECTIVELY.
05-15-2023 06:32 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
But they aren't happy.

Brandon Marcello
@bmarcello
·
33m
The ACC’s athletic directors just left their first meeting since
@Brett_McMurphy
’s report on the Seven. Heads were down as they sped past the media contingent without talking. Their meeting went 66 minutes longer than scheduled.
05-15-2023 06:42 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Not a good mood at the Syracuse board.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/acc-pac-...st-4666381
05-15-2023 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(05-15-2023 06:48 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Not a good mood at the Syracuse board.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/acc-pac-...st-4666381

I imagine there will be weekly brawls between fan bases at ACC games this year.
05-15-2023 06:55 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired

You’re not still upset about the ‘99 NC are you? Come on….nearly 24 seasons ago! Heckuva game til the 4th quarter. I was at the game…Vick was superb until our depth took over.
05-15-2023 07:13 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(05-15-2023 06:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  But they aren't happy.

Brandon Marcello
@bmarcello
·
33m
The ACC’s athletic directors just left their first meeting since
@Brett_McMurphy
’s report on the Seven. Heads were down as they sped past the media contingent without talking. Their meeting went 66 minutes longer than scheduled.

I would imagine.

I mentioned earlier today that likely all the conferences read the article and this would have have repercussions...

"Hey, but we're all friends here, right?" - not likely heard in that meeting...
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023 07:14 PM by Skyhawk.)
05-15-2023 07:13 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-15-2023 06:27 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  I believe what M7 really want to accomplish now is uneven revenue sharing. And possibly expansion.

It's hard to see a dissolution and subsequent expansion all materializing if the PAC lands a short term GoR in the next few months. Expansion beyond those M7 makes little sense. Every other school that's included beyond that bloc is exponentially more dilutive overall.

I think this will all fall flat on its face unless ESPN gets really creative. Where ESPN is losing value is with schools like Vandy making 70-80 million and schools like BC making 40 million. You have to remove these market inefficiencies, otherwise the market will remove them by itself over time. Some steps they can take:

1. Move Creighton to the Big 12 with Zaga.
2. Move Cuse' to the BE.

3a. Revisit a BE football conference in the Friday night window/streaming deal: Adding Duke, Cuse, WF, BC changes the calculus very much. Is it possible to bring in Army, Navy, USF, Rice, Tulane, and Temple as football only? That would give academies more incentive to join. If ESPN doesn't want to blow up the American, consider schools like Buffalo and UMass to get to the minimum 8.

3b. Create Sub Conferences or Conference Tiers in the SEC for football and Olympic sports. You play in the top tier amongst your best sports, among 16 or so schools. But then you play in a bottom tier in BBall, baseball and football in the sports where you don't play as well. Structure the payouts to promote fair competition without rigging the game. If there is one conference that can make this work, it's the SEC. This way, Tobacco road can play BBall against one another almost every year, while the football could avoid the likes of Bama and others. Schools would be brought in for their specific strengths.

4. Don't overpay for the PAC content. Single 4th window game only. ESPN is likely already planning this.

5. Secure the Friday window. Don't make it viable for the PAC to put their Tier 1 in there as a standalone. This frees up the Big 12 and the aforementioned hypothetical realignment scenarios above.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023 07:24 PM by RUScarlets.)
05-15-2023 07:15 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-15-2023 07:13 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

You’re not still upset about the ‘99 NC are you? Come on….nearly 24 seasons ago! Heckuva game til the 4th quarter. I was at the game…Vick was superb until our depth took over.

I don't want to lose FSU, I just think if anyone's going to jump it's going to be them. But then who goes with them? You generally want an even number in your conference and Kansas is under a GoR too. ND maybe. I don't want to lose ND either.
05-15-2023 07:31 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(05-15-2023 07:31 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

I don't want to lose FSU, I just think if anyone's going to jump it's going to be them. But then who goes with them? You generally want an even number in your conference and Kansas is under a GoR too. ND maybe. I don't want to lose ND either.

I have VT on a relatively short list of ACC schools that I hope FSU winds up in the same conference with. SEC seems increasingly plausible.
05-15-2023 07:44 PM
World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
(05-15-2023 07:44 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

I have VT on a relatively short list of ACC schools that I hope FSU winds up in the same conference with. SEC seems increasingly plausible.

The SEC should have added VT instead of Missouri twelve years ago. I guess we'll find out where everyone lands in 10 years when it's remotely feasible to buy out of the ACC GOR
05-15-2023 07:48 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
It would be better if the conference did the tier revenue. We could all stay together and hopefully get a better rate in 2036. The Other 7 could then get the $120m per in exit fees from the M7 if they still decide to leave.
05-15-2023 07:51 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(05-15-2023 06:27 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  I believe what M7 really want to accomplish now is uneven revenue sharing. And possibly expansion.

ACC Expansion? Only via backfill. The top ACC schools want either P2 or P2$.
05-15-2023 07:52 PM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(05-15-2023 07:51 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It would be better if the conference did the tier revenue. We could all stay together and hopefully get a better rate in 2036. The Other 7 could then get the $120m per in exit fees from the M7 if they still decide to leave.

You’d have to pay the bottom ACC schools AAC $ in order to pay the top ACC schools within a mile of B1G/SEC $. Not happening.
05-15-2023 07:57 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-15-2023 07:48 PM)World Wide Swag Wrote:  
(05-15-2023 07:44 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  
(05-15-2023 06:23 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  He's right though. The idea that they are going to be able to negotiate an exit 13 years in advance is wishful thinking.

The SEC should have added VT instead of Missouri twelve years ago. I guess we'll find out where everyone lands in 10 years when it's remotely feasible to buy out of the ACC GOR

I've always wanted Virginia Tech in the SEC, but it really wasn't an option then.

For one, ESPN was still bullish on the ACC at that time and was in build mode. Secondly, VT had recently cashed in a huge favor with UVA to get into the ACC when the Big East was being raided. Would have been bad form for them to jump out of the ACC at the first opportunity.
05-15-2023 08:06 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(05-15-2023 07:15 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

It's hard to see a dissolution and subsequent expansion all materializing if the PAC lands a short term GoR in the next few months. Expansion beyond those M7 makes little sense. Every other school that's included beyond that bloc is exponentially more dilutive overall.

I think this will all fall flat on its face unless ESPN gets really creative. Where ESPN is losing value is with schools like Vandy making 70-80 million and schools like BC making 40 million. You have to remove these market inefficiencies, otherwise the market will remove them by itself over time. Some steps they can take:

1. Move Creighton to the Big 12 with Zaga.
2. Move Cuse' to the BE.

3a. Revisit a BE football conference in the Friday night window/streaming deal: Adding Duke, Cuse, WF, BC changes the calculus very much. Is it possible to bring in Army, Navy, USF, Rice, Tulane, and Temple as football only? That would give academies more incentive to join. If ESPN doesn't want to blow up the American, consider schools like Buffalo and UMass to get to the minimum 8.

3b. Create Sub Conferences or Conference Tiers in the SEC for football and Olympic sports. You play in the top tier amongst your best sports, among 16 or so schools. But then you play in a bottom tier in BBall, baseball and football in the sports where you don't play as well. Structure the payouts to promote fair competition without rigging the game. If there is one conference that can make this work, it's the SEC. This way, Tobacco road can play BBall against one another almost every year, while the football could avoid the likes of Bama and others. Schools would be brought in for their specific strengths.

4. Don't overpay for the PAC content. Single 4th window game only. ESPN is likely already planning this.

5. Secure the Friday window. Don't make it viable for the PAC to put their Tier 1 in there as a standalone. This frees up the Big 12 and the aforementioned hypothetical realignment scenarios above.

Vandy is just as much a part of the SEC as A&M is. More, really they have a whole lot of decades on us. If you want to free up value then look at the B1G first, the SEC is just fine with our current and future contracts.
05-15-2023 08:13 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
(05-15-2023 07:57 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  
(05-15-2023 07:51 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It would be better if the conference did the tier revenue. We could all stay together and hopefully get a better rate in 2036. The Other 7 could then get the $120m per in exit fees from the M7 if they still decide to leave.

You’d have to pay the bottom ACC schools AAC $ in order to pay the top ACC schools within a mile of B1G/SEC $. Not happening.

It won’t need to be that much. Most of the ACC including most of the M7 like their conference. I believe a $55m per would be satisfactory until 2036. I think 2 divisions of football needs to be formed so that the Others don’t feel pressured to keep up with the M7.
05-15-2023 08:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.