Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rethinking NBA Alignment
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Rethinking NBA Alignment
My personal preference would be to go from 2 conferences with 3 divisions of 5 teams each to 0 conferences with 5 divisions of 6 teams each.

Atlantic: Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers, Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards
Midwest: Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves
Pacific: Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings
Southeast: Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Memphis, Grizzlies, Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans, Orlando Magic
Southwest: Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz

However, if they retain the current alignment structure, I would switch the Phoenix Suns (currently Pacific Division) with the Portland Trail Blazers (currently Northwest Division). I would then rename the Northwest Division to the Central Division and rename the Central Division to the Midwest Division. When the Seattle Sonics moved to Oklahoma City, Portland was left out on an island.

I actually presumed the division was called the Northwest Division because it had Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. However, Vancouver moved to Memphis while in the Midwest Division with Dallas, Denver, Houston, Minnesota, San Antonio, and Utah. Portland and Seattle were actually in the Pacific Division with the California teams and Phoenix.
05-08-2023 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
RE: Rethinking NBA Alignment
The NBA will be at 32 within a few years. Once a new CBA is ratified, there should be a firm timeline on expansion.

Five divisions works great until the playoffs. The NBA would likely just seed the entire field 1-16, but that could cause logjams for TV (too many East Coast teams or too many West Coast teams playing at home on one night), and create lots of additional cross-country travel.
05-08-2023 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I too anticipate that the NBA will expand to 32 soon and that expansion will come in the West:

Atlantic: Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Toronto, Philadelphia (5)
Midwest: Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota (6)
Southeast: Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami (5)

Southwest: Memphis, New Orleans, OKC, SA, Dallas, Houston (6)
Pacific: LAL, LAC, Sacramento, Golden St, Phoenix (5)
Northwest: Portland, Utah, Denver, + 2 expansion teams (5)
05-09-2023 05:37 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
At 32, I suspect Las Vegas and Seattle who will share arenas with the new NHL franchises.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic: Boston, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Washington
Midwest: Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Toronto

Western Conference
Central: Dallas, Denver, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah
Pacific: Golden State, Las Vegas, Los Angeles 1, Los Angeles 2, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle
05-09-2023 10:41 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
BP: that’s the EXACT alignment i predict.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 07:32 PM by Erictelevision.)
05-10-2023 07:32 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
At 32 teams, the mid-season tournament will likely cause every team playing home and away to be a thing of the past, unless of the season goes beyond 82 games.

I would almost prefer to see four conferences with "soft" divisions of four teams in each conference, which makes for a 72-game regular season:

48 games outside the conference (24 teams x 2 games)
24 games inside the conference (4 teams x 3 games; 3 teams x 4 games)

There would be eight groups of four teams, who play a double round-robin group stage for 6 games (3 home, 3 away), which makes for 78 games. The top 16 teams advance to the knockout round. Consolation rounds would guarantee everyone in the knockout round four games, for a 82-game schedule. Those who do not qualify for the knockout round play four additional games.

Eastern - Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, Detroit

Central - Memphis, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Utah, Denver

Southern - Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio

Western - Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Las Vegas, Phoenix
05-13-2023 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
With 32 teams & 4 divisions, my schedule would be:

Double h/h in division
H/h v everyone else
05-14-2023 02:53 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-13-2023 04:02 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  At 32 teams, the mid-season tournament will likely cause every team playing home and away to be a thing of the past, unless of the season goes beyond 82 games.

I would almost prefer to see four conferences with "soft" divisions of four teams in each conference, which makes for a 72-game regular season:

48 games outside the conference (24 teams x 2 games)
24 games inside the conference (4 teams x 3 games; 3 teams x 4 games)

There would be eight groups of four teams, who play a double round-robin group stage for 6 games (3 home, 3 away), which makes for 78 games. The top 16 teams advance to the knockout round. Consolation rounds would guarantee everyone in the knockout round four games, for a 82-game schedule. Those who do not qualify for the knockout round play four additional games.

Eastern - Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, Detroit

Central - Memphis, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Utah, Denver

Southern - Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio

Western - Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Las Vegas, Phoenix

That Central division will had a ton of travel... eek.. At least Denver is a major hub but eek
05-16-2023 03:51 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
How about 3 divisions

West-10
LAC, LAL, GS, Sac, LV,
PHX, Por, Sea, Utah, Den

Central-11
SA, Dal, Hou, OKC, NO, Mem,
Minn, Mil, Chi, Ind, Det,

East-11
Miami, ORL, Atl, Char, Wash, Phil,
NYK, BRK, Bos, Tor, Cle

Play everybody in your division 4 times and everybody else 2 times.
05-22-2023 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I really like that set up goof.

Would moving CLE to the Central to be with the other Midwest teams, & NO or MEM to the East to be w/ the FL teams & ATL work better?
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 08:07 AM by Bronco'14.)
05-22-2023 08:38 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(05-22-2023 06:15 PM)goofus Wrote:  How about 3 divisions

West-10
LAC, LAL, GS, Sac, LV,
PHX, Por, Sea, Utah, Den

Central-11
SA, Dal, Hou, OKC, NO, Mem,
Minn, Mil, Chi, Ind, Det,

East-11
Miami, ORL, Atl, Char, Wash, Phil,
NYK, BRK, Bos, Tor, Cle

Play everybody in your division 4 times and everybody else 2 times.

I like that set up a lot. They’d have to rethink the playoffs though. It’s kind of hard to pair the East Champs and West Champs when you’ve also got a Central. Maybe you just award the Conference titles to the teams who finish first in the regular season and for the playoffs you just give this 3 the top 3 seeds.
05-27-2023 06:56 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(05-22-2023 08:38 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I really like that set up goof.

Would moving CLE to the Central to be with the other Midwest teams, & NO or MEM to the East to be w/ the FL teams & ATL work better?

Or go with North and South divisions.

North
NYK, BRK, Bos, Tor, Cle, Phil, Minn, Mil, Chi, Ind, Det

South
SA, Dal, Hou, OKC, NO, Mem, Miami, ORL, Atl, Char, Wash,
05-27-2023 10:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.