I Root For: UCF Knights
Ross Dellenger: Big 12 explores In-Game Interviews, Behind the Scenes Access
05-03-2023 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

RE: Ross Dellenger: Big 12 explores In-Game Interviews, Behind the Scenes Access
Behind the Scenes are fun. This kind of reminds me of the Our Time Series on ESPN+. It will probably be a similar format.

Series Available on ESPN+
Our Time: Oklahoma State Football
Our Time: UCF Football
Our Time: Baylor Basketball
05-03-2023 03:01 PM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Ross Dellenger: Big 12 explores In-Game Interviews, Behind the Scenes Access
As an AD or a Conference Office I'd love this idea. As a coach? Maybe not so much, though the best of them could use it as a free recruiting video.
05-03-2023 03:04 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Yormark is simply finding a way to market his product beyond consolidation. He is in essence rebranding the Big 12 in terms of the AAF or XFL to the Super Two which is forming as the collegiate NFL.

When you look at it that way it all makes sense. Don't market just a superior product, market access and nuance the superior product doesn't exploit.
05-03-2023 03:11 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

(05-03-2023 03:04 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  As an AD or a Conference Office I'd love this idea. As a coach? Maybe not so much, though the best of them could use it as a free recruiting video.

Deion Sanders has his own Coach Prime show on Amazon Prime. I believe the money goes to him.

I prefer the Big 12 approach to this. Behind the scenes access should be a conference revenue.

This seems like an inevitable future for coaches.
05-03-2023 03:13 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
As a fan I hate this kind of BS. Quit trying to entertain me with a bunch of bubble gum stuff and show the game, that's why I'm here.
05-03-2023 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-03-2023 03:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Yormark is simply finding a way to market his product beyond consolidation. He is in essence rebranding the Big 12 in terms of the AAF or XFL to the Super Two which is forming as the collegiate NFL.

When you look at it that way it all makes sense. Don't market just a superior product, market access and nuance the superior product doesn't exploit.

That's actually a pretty good comparison.
05-03-2023 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-03-2023 03:22 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  As a fan I hate this kind of BS. Quit trying to entertain me with a bunch of bubble gum stuff and show the game, that's why I'm here.

Agreed - I especially dislike in-game interviews - really cheesy.

Some may say innovative, I say desperation. Yappy is a like a carnival barker.
05-03-2023 03:26 PM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(05-03-2023 03:26 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(05-03-2023 03:22 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  As a fan I hate this kind of BS. Quit trying to entertain me with a bunch of bubble gum stuff and show the game, that's why I'm here.

He is like a carnival barker in some ways, though don't people choose to go to carnivals? I'd say that it's more "innovative" than "desperate". He can't compete with tOSU and Alabama and their ilk on a Brand vs Brand basis, but he can try to maximize the potential with what he does have. Separate contract for Basketball in 2031? Games in Mexico? Different content in-game? Some of it might be great, some of it might flop, but at least he's trying something different that MIGHT work.

Kliavkoff is radio silent and Phillips is lawyering up and starting committees to explore things, while Yormark is actually doing things.
05-03-2023 03:37 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-03-2023 03:37 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

He is like a carnival barker in some ways, though don't people choose to go to carnivals? I'd say that it's more "innovative" than "desperate". He can't compete with tOSU and Alabama and their ilk on a Brand vs Brand basis, but he can try to maximize the potential with what he does have. Separate contract for Basketball in 2031? Games in Mexico? Different content in-game? Some of it might be great, some of it might flop, but at least he's trying something different that MIGHT work.

Kliavkoff is radio silent and Phillips is lawyering up and starting committees to explore things, while Yormark is actually doing things.

There are some other angles here which are very smart. Why Mexico? It's the leading importer of future viewers for Texas (for good or bad reasons). Drive interest in Mexico in American Football and you drive interest in your product in Texas. But that's a small angle. The Big angle is he is looking at marketing football with aspects unappealing to traditional fans in order to land the nontraditional fans, and in that regard, he is doing a service for the whole game, High School through the Pros. If a paparazzi approach styled after Entertainment Tonight draws in what would otherwise be disinterested people, he is converting the unbelievers into potential future audience. When your audience interest wanes you deliver new aspects of your old product to spike interest and do so not to the traditionalists, but those whose experience will be novel.
05-03-2023 03:45 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
This is the future of sports programming. The presentation is going to be a cross between Twitch and modern traditional style.
05-03-2023 03:46 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(05-03-2023 03:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Yormark is simply finding a way to market his product beyond consolidation. He is in essence rebranding the Big 12 in terms of the AAF or XFL to the Super Two which is forming as the collegiate NFL.

Correct. Which is what makes the ACCN great for fans of those teams. We have shows specifically focused on our league. People might poopoo it here, but many fans love it. I miss Packer & Durham, for instance
05-03-2023 03:55 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

I think Yormark creating the Big 12 Pro Day and having it covered by the NFL Network is legitimately innovative. IMHO, that's a really good idea in taking an event that has been separately run by the schools to varying degrees of success and consolidating it into a single platform that promotes the conference and serves a practical purpose in allowing NFL scouts to come to one single pro day as opposed to 12 different ones.

Now, the fawning by some fans over stuff that has already been done but Yormark makes it sound like it's new or innovative is where I go side-eyed. For instance, as I've pointed out, the Big Ten has had a separate basketball TV contract for decades and the Big East has had its own. There's no secret unlocked value from separating basketball out from the overall conference TV contract (and note that the Big Ten - not the ACC or Big 12 or anyone else - is actually the most-watched basketball conference, so it would have been the one in the best position to get extra value from hoops out of anyone). I don't have an issue with Yormark wanting the basketball contract to be separate, but the thought that it's going to goose the overall value of the league much or at all doesn't really track with the experience of the Big Ten.

Similarly, the Mexico games are fine and I get the argument for them, but we've had a lot of different international games over the years.

I think the Big 12 adding Gonzaga would be great. It makes total sense to me. What I don't get is Yormark publicly saying on *multiple* occasions that the Big 12 has been speaking to Gonzaga, but then we haven't seen any movement months later. If the Big 12 isn't going to add Gonzaga until it gets clarity on the Pac-12 situation, then that's perfectly rational... but don't even talk about speaking with Gonzaga if that's the case. Kliavkoff has rightly been getting hammered for his not-so-clandestine visit to SMU, yet what Yormark has done in straight up saying the Big 12 has been talking to Gonzaga (which is pretty unprecedented even for G5 and midmajor conferences, much less a P5 league) seems to go under the radar for some reason.

To be sure, I'll admit that I'm biased based on working with all of these types of personalities over the years: I generally see an inverse relationship between real leverage and how much someone talks publicly. You don't see Greg Sankey giving out interviews everywhere and "acting aggressive" because the SEC has *real* leverage. The SEC commissioner doesn't need to talk about being aggressive - they just go out and add UT and OU and then set up the CFP system that they want. Now, that doesn't mean being a silent pushover and letting others control the narrative is good, either. That is what I think is what has been happening with the Pac-12, so there's a balance there.
05-03-2023 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'

This is part of the reason several Pac-12 schools are terrified of an Apple package. They badly want ESPN or failing that a Fox or even NBC component.
05-03-2023 05:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-03-2023 05:06 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

I think Yormark creating the Big 12 Pro Day and having it covered by the NFL Network is legitimately innovative. IMHO, that's a really good idea in taking an event that has been separately run by the schools to varying degrees of success and consolidating it into a single platform that promotes the conference and serves a practical purpose in allowing NFL scouts to come to one single pro day as opposed to 12 different ones.

Now, the fawning by some fans over stuff that has already been done but Yormark makes it sound like it's new or innovative is where I go side-eyed. For instance, as I've pointed out, the Big Ten has had a separate basketball TV contract for decades and the Big East has had its own. There's no secret unlocked value from separating basketball out from the overall conference TV contract (and note that the Big Ten - not the ACC or Big 12 or anyone else - is actually the most-watched basketball conference, so it would have been the one in the best position to get extra value from hoops out of anyone). I don't have an issue with Yormark wanting the basketball contract to be separate, but the thought that it's going to goose the overall value of the league much or at all doesn't really track with the experience of the Big Ten.

Similarly, the Mexico games are fine and I get the argument for them, but we've had a lot of different international games over the years.

I think the Big 12 adding Gonzaga would be great. It makes total sense to me. What I don't get is Yormark publicly saying on *multiple* occasions that the Big 12 has been speaking to Gonzaga, but then we haven't seen any movement months later. If the Big 12 isn't going to add Gonzaga until it gets clarity on the Pac-12 situation, then that's perfectly rational... but don't even talk about speaking with Gonzaga if that's the case. Kliavkoff has rightly been getting hammered for his not-so-clandestine visit to SMU, yet what Yormark has done in straight up saying the Big 12 has been talking to Gonzaga (which is pretty unprecedented even for G5 and midmajor conferences, much less a P5 league) seems to go under the radar for some reason.

To be sure, I'll admit that I'm biased based on working with all of these types of personalities over the years: I generally see an inverse relationship between real leverage and how much someone talks publicly. You don't see Greg Sankey giving out interviews everywhere and "acting aggressive" because the SEC has *real* leverage. The SEC commissioner doesn't need to talk about being aggressive - they just go out and add UT and OU and then set up the CFP system that they want. Now, that doesn't mean being a silent pushover and letting others control the narrative is good, either. That is what I think is what has been happening with the Pac-12, so there's a balance there.

So, in essence you are saying you play the cards you are dealt. If you have a pat hand, it's fine to look a little worried and say nothing. If you are holding a disaster that won't add up, you try to bluff your way to the next hand dealt. There's nothing new here. It's done at every level of business.

The issue is also obvious. We are waiting on clarity with the PAC 12 situation because they are waiting on clarity in the Big 10 situation, and the Big 10 is waiting on clarity in the Notre Dame situation and this is because that's how it works now that Texas and Oklahoma are off the table and USC is accounted for.

The SEC doesn't have to say or do anything. They can anticipate a variety of outcomes and arrange and develop potential responses to them, but that's about it.

The SEC moved first, the Big 10 responded, but didn't really make a move which threatened the SEC in any way.

That makes Notre Dame the most sought after prize on the table. Take USC and UCLA and use that move which is solid on its own terms and wait to see what happens with the Irish. If they come on board that opens a collective market value that covers Washington and Oregon and maybe they can bring somebody else of value with them.

Notre Dame isn't shaking loose until they figure out the most cost effective way to move.

The SEC won't poach the ACC until the ACC schools interested figure their own way out, which would free Notre Dame in all likelihood, which would make further PAC 12 interests for the Big 10 possible, which would free the Four Corners to move to the Big 12, which shuts Yormark up. Until then if he wants to be remembered he has to keep yapping to get attention.

I think Frank, that what Yormark is doing is just keeping the Big 12 in the headlines fearing that no noise makes them truly an afterthought. So he risks the downside of lack of professionalism for the sake of keeping his name before the public.

When George Corley Wallace was elected Governor of Alabama the first time, he was excluded from Democratic fundraising events among the wealthy elite of Birmingham. He had his wife, Lurleen's family, call the fundraiser he wasn't invited to and page him multiple times during the evening. So, his name was heard many times by everyone at the event to which he was excluded. This made him seem much more viable than he really was and resulted in his ultimate victory. He had the rural support, and as that became clear the money in Montgomery, Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville fell behind him to control him.

Yormark's antics remind me a great deal of the paging of George Wallace at that Birmingham fundraiser those many, many years ago. At least the trajectory of Yormark isn't likely to be as controversial.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2023 05:29 PM by JRsec.)
05-03-2023 05:27 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

Big 12 piloting this for the rest of college football for ESPN and Fox.
05-03-2023 06:16 PM
Advertisement

BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
(05-03-2023 03:25 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

A perfect comparison, and it'll be born out when the Big XII ceases to exist within the next decade.

I'm sure Kansas, OSU, ISU will love the demotion to a gimmicky, inferior product vs their key peers Mizzou, Oklahoma, and Iowa.

Like, this sort of works for the NFL and NBA (Olympics are the OG of this) when they are so tapped out in terms of drawing actual sports fans to their superior product that they need to add "nuance/access" (read, reality TV aspects that attract primarily women or broader entertainment like halftime music shows) to maybe eek out another 5-10% growth. This isn't actually going to work for the Big XII in any way close to that because the new fans they are hoping to attract, since they don't care enough about the sport to watch it already, would just watch the NFL on Sundays.

This is peak chairs on the titanic stuff. "Let's make the core product worse in hopes we can attract new fans." It never, ever, EVER works when there is any actual competition. Because actual sports fans that casually watch Big XII games can just switch to ACC/SEC/B1G games when the "nuance" crap annoys them.
05-03-2023 06:17 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
(05-03-2023 06:17 PM)BeepBeepJeep Wrote:  
(05-03-2023 03:25 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

A perfect comparison, and it'll be born out when the Big XII ceases to exist within the next decade.

I'm sure Kansas, OSU, ISU will love the demotion to a gimmicky, inferior product vs their key peers Mizzou, Oklahoma, and Iowa.

Like, this sort of works for the NFL and NBA (Olympics are the OG of this) when they are so tapped out in terms of drawing actual sports fans to their superior product that they need to add "nuance/access" (read, reality TV aspects that attract primarily women or broader entertainment like halftime music shows) to maybe eek out another 5-10% growth. This isn't actually going to work for the Big XII in any way close to that because the new fans they are hoping to attract, since they don't care enough about the sport to watch it already, would just watch the NFL on Sundays.

This is peak chairs on the titanic stuff. "Let's make the core product worse in hopes we can attract new fans." It never, ever, EVER works when there is any actual competition. Because actual sports fans that casually watch Big XII games can just switch to ACC/SEC/B1G games when the "nuance" crap annoys them.

okay, boomer
05-03-2023 06:21 PM
BruinNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCLA
So which nBig 12 quarterback will be donning “He Hate Me” on the back of his jersey?
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2023 06:27 PM by BruinNation.)
05-03-2023 06:22 PM
BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
(05-03-2023 02:53 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

This isn't innovative, it's derivative.

And every time you hear a politician or marketing mouthpiece talk about modernizing something, that just means making it worse.

You know who never talks about "modernizing"? Actual quality products from companies run by competent people. They don't need to "modernize" because they are the trend setters that define "modern" and if they do happen to need some level of overhaul/improvement they don't go splashing around in the press about how out of date they currently are.
05-03-2023 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.