Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIL's Collectives and Athletic Department Approvals in the works
Bookmark and Share
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
NIL's Collectives and Athletic Department Approvals in the works
We had a collective at UMass for some time but the first Football NIL has been approved by UMass.
[Image: _bsi__.png&height=1100&type=webp]
Quote:The collective will help Minutemen football student-athletes connect with NIL opportunities

AMHERST, Mass. – Massachusetts Athletics is endorsing the newly announced Midnight Ride Collective, which has been established to help Minutemen football student-athletes connect with Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) opportunities.
https://umassathletics.com/news/2023/5/1...Collective

Any others in the works or approved by the Athletic Departments?
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023 12:31 PM by Steve1981.)
05-02-2023 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: NIL's Collectives and Athletic Department Approvals in the works
WMU has announced Broncos Will Reign as their perferred NIL donation nonprofit. For all sports, not only football or hockey.

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2023/4/20/ge...etics.aspx
05-03-2023 08:18 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2023 08:18 AM)WesternDave Wrote:  WMU has announced Broncos Will Reign as their perferred NIL donation nonprofit. For all sports, not only football or hockey.

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2023/4/20/ge...etics.aspx

Was interest in MAC universities and hope all MAC teams have successful collectives to be competitive with other G5 schools.. At UMass there is a lot of BB influence and even The Massachusetts Collective is a basketball organization, even if they do not specifically say it, has only signed athletes are basketball players and they even set up a tent out the Football spring game.
The Massachusetts (basketball) Collective.

So happy the Midnight Ride Collective is official for football
05-03-2023 09:41 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
With the way players are constantly transferring I'm not giving any money to NIL or players. I'll give my money to the university via donations and ticket purchases.

NIL isn't going to stop a top G5 player from leaving for P5 anyway. Just like success for our coaches doesn't stop them from leaving.
05-03-2023 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2023 09:46 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  With the way players are constantly transferring I'm not giving any money to NIL or players. I'll give my money to the university via donations and ticket purchases.

NIL isn't going to stop a top G5 player from leaving for P5 anyway. Just like success for our coaches doesn't stop them from leaving.

Epasnoopy, you have a valid point. The Massachusetts Collective signed a freshmen BB player with a 6 digit contract, but he did not finalize it and entered the portal.
05-03-2023 09:57 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I have no problem with players getting paid or the NIL concept. But the transfer rules have made this chaos and players are just constantly coming and going with no penalty.

If some people want to spend their hard earned money giving it to players, do it. But I will give my money to the school, to new facilities, and purchasing tickets. I want my money to be used to support all players who stay at NIU and make the program as a whole better. I'm not giving my money to an 18-year old kid who is likely going to transfer as soon as a P5 flirts with him.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2023 10:33 AM by epasnoopy.)
05-03-2023 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(05-03-2023 09:57 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(05-03-2023 09:46 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  With the way players are constantly transferring I'm not giving any money to NIL or players. I'll give my money to the university via donations and ticket purchases.

Epasnoopy, you have a valid point. The Massachusetts Collective signed a freshmen BB player with a 6 digit contract, but he did not finalize it and entered the portal.

Damn so this is what college sports has become. How sad
05-03-2023 12:30 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2023 12:30 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(05-03-2023 09:57 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

Damn so this is what college sports has become. How sad

The flip side is a young man spends most of his life dedicated to the craft and then gets injured, could end up with nothing. This way he earns some money. Yes hopefully he loves the university and has a good education to fall back on. We are not trying to compete with the P5. The G5 and give this kids some legal money. The bluebloods have always given dirty money. It has never been fair but the G5 is a realistic compromise being highly competitive and not obscene focus on money.
05-04-2023 12:25 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison

I’m with you. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2023 10:50 AM by Polish Hammer.)
05-05-2023 10:49 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

When there's a NIL collective that focuses on graduated seniors who were eligible for a grad transfer but stayed at Kent State, then they can send me a flyer.
05-07-2023 10:21 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
NIU's NIL collective started a few months back: https://boneyardvictore.com/
05-08-2023 01:10 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Our NIL are not 501©(3) and apparently some are and the congress does not want to eliminate the exemption. Does not surprise me as those that benefit most influence the laws.
Quote:Midnight Ride Collective
@midnightridenil
Great opportunity to provide some #NIL education & transparency:

MRC is an independent LLC. We’re not
a 501©(3) nor pretend to be.

We’ll offer community service, but we believe people should give because they dig what we’re trying to achieve, not because of a tax write off.

Quote:Mit Winter
@WinterSportsLaw
This same #NIL related bill was introduced by the same 2 senators last session and went nowhere. It attempts to eliminate tax deductions for individuals who donate to NIL collectives with 501©(3) status.

https://twitter.com/WinterSportsLaw/stat...5929392133
05-10-2023 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.