Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hall of Fame Eligibility
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Hall of Fame Eligibility
With the advent of the transfer portal it got me to thinking. Should an athlete still be considered for our Hall of Fame if he leaves in the portal, or should they need to finish their career as a Duke?

I know the answer, but would like to see other's opinions.
04-25-2023 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HMK Offline
Special Teams

RE: Hall of Fame Eligibility
(04-25-2023 12:14 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  With the advent of the transfer portal it got me to thinking. Should an athlete still be considered for our Hall of Fame if he leaves in the portal, or should they need to finish their career as a Duke?

I know the answer, but would like to see other's opinions.

I would not want to see Kiki Jefferson disqualified because she played four seasons at JMU and graduated. Kiki decided to extend her college basketball carrier using her COVID year as a graduate transfer to Louisville.
04-25-2023 12:35 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

What a player did as a Duke and how they represented JMU afterwards(winning 5 Super Bowls as a former Duke for example) is what matters. Absolutely should not be disqualified for transferring out. At the same time, although not officially disqualified I gotta think if someone like Antwane Wells goes on to be an NFL star he didn't do enough as a Duke to deserve much consideration whereas if Kiki goes on to be a WNBA star she certainly did.
04-25-2023 12:45 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(04-25-2023 12:45 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  What a player did as a Duke and how they represented JMU afterwards(winning 5 Super Bowls as a former Duke for example) is what matters. Absolutely should not be disqualified for transferring out. At the same time, although not officially disqualified I gotta think if someone like Antwane Wells goes on to be an NFL star he didn't do enough as a Duke to deserve much consideration whereas if Kiki goes on to be a WNBA star she certainly did.

Wells is a good example. There is probably a minimum number of years required to be eligible. To me, he wouldn't be eligible. However, if he had transferred in and played his last two seasons here, perhaps so. Should Toddy be considered playing only one season? Pretty good season by any metric.
04-25-2023 01:15 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

What about coaches? Say, a coach who gets canned…is Lefty in the JMU HOF? And looking at you Mr. Matthews.
04-25-2023 01:20 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
If you graduated, you should be eligible.
04-25-2023 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2023 01:24 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  If you graduated, you should be eligible.

That’s how I feel too.
04-25-2023 01:27 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I feel the same way about graduating etc.

Also think Mickey should be in the HOF.

Brian
04-25-2023 01:38 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(04-25-2023 01:27 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 01:24 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  If you graduated, you should be eligible.

That’s how I feel too.

There was once a rule that you had to be a graduate to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think that rule was rescinded.
04-25-2023 01:50 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2023 01:50 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

That’s how I feel too.

There was once a rule that you had to be a graduate to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think that rule was rescinded.

I think that should be in the criteria for student athletes - to be an actual graduate from JMU.
04-25-2023 02:21 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(04-25-2023 02:21 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 01:50 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

That’s how I feel too.

I think that should be in the criteria for student athletes - to be an actual graduate from JMU.

What if we have someone that is good enough to go pro before graduation?
04-25-2023 04:25 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

So far, have the non-JMU grads inducted all been coaches or administrators?

I don’t know how I feel about non-grad athletes being inducted. Kiki is a grad (or will be soon). I guess if someone leaves school early to go pro would be cool with me. But Wells? Nah. He can try for the S. Carolina hall IMO.
04-25-2023 04:47 PM
Dukester Offline

Hall of Fame thoughts

"To Me" Would love to see Rascati & Matthews in the same class.

"To Me" I would love if "Mickey & Clayton" went in as one, like perhaps a team would. They both loved JMU, and Mickey would not of been as successful at JMU without Clayton's assistance on the Tech side. Would be very touching "to me"
04-25-2023 04:59 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

As far as athletes graduating, the current criteria says athletes must "have earned a baccalaureate degree from JMU or left the university in good academic standing." Beyond that, I don't know if it seems to me like specific criteria is necessarily needed. I would think the selection committee would consider someone like Kiki or Centeio, but not someone like Wells. There just are different ways to end up with part of your career at JMU and part of your career elsewhere, but for those who do it the "wrong" way from the JMU perspective it just doesn't seem to me like they'd get selected anyway.
04-25-2023 05:29 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I don’t have anything against Wells or his choice to transfer, just don’t think he belongs in a JMU HOF.
04-26-2023 09:11 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2023 09:11 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I don’t have anything against Wells or his choice to transfer, just don’t think he belongs in a JMU HOF.

Same....in fact of projected starters who entered the transfer portal......I contend Wells is actually the ONLY ONE that did it the right way.
04-26-2023 09:36 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Agreed, I can't blame him for jumping on the opportunity to go tear it up in the SEC. It's just not the type of scenario where an athlete deserves JMU HOF consideration imo.
04-26-2023 09:55 AM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(04-25-2023 04:25 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 02:21 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 01:50 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  There was once a rule that you had to be a graduate to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think that rule was rescinded.

What if we have someone that is good enough to go pro before graduation?

There are a thousand "what ifs" that shouldn't disqualify a candidate and evaluating them on a case by case could be why it was rescinded.
04-26-2023 01:09 PM
CarRamrod Online
1st String

Congratulations to Justin Rascati on his induction, well deserved to say the least.
09-01-2023 07:34 PM
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-01-2023 07:34 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  Congratulations to Justin Rascati on his induction, well deserved to say the least.

Awesome news! I bet he is happy!
09-01-2023 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.