Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Portal Craziness
Bookmark and Share
3DogNight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, Clemson
Portal Craziness
Thought I would share something I came across today at the On3 website relating to the transfer portal. Out of the players that have entered the portal at Liberty, there has been a couple of players who entered the portal in December, withdrew and then re enter the portal again this week. Actually one of the guys (Da Da Hunter) came here through the portal. But that seems mild compared to the story I can across at On3. CB Storm Duck previously had played at North Carolina before initially entering the portal during the first window in December, when he committed to Penn State. After going through spring practice with the Nittany Lions, he’s hit the portal again. Is it just me or shouldn’t there be some kind of limit or structure to this madness. How can any coach have a clue what kind of team he’s going to have when the roster is such a fluid situation now.
04-21-2023 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Portal Craziness
It can be both a blessing and a curse but I agree this is not good for college sports. NMSU returns one of its top defensive backs this year in Syrus Dumas. He’s been an integral part of the team the past two years and has been talked about all spring practice about how he’s a leader on our team and was seemingly looking to be a starter yet again as a seasoned player. He has a great spring, lauded by coaches and other players, plays in the spring game. The day after the spring game, he enters the portal.
04-22-2023 10:08 AM
Ewglenn Online
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
They did away with multiple transfers without having to sit out and now they have to get a waiver. The wavier is harder to get so I suspect most are testing the waters but end up staying (if they’ve used their first transfer). Good coaches will use it to their advantage. I just wish they’d put a cap on these NIL deals.
04-22-2023 08:01 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
These players want us to buy their jerseys and in a year they are somewhere else with no loyalty to the program.
04-24-2023 11:49 PM
Advertisement

whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(04-24-2023 11:49 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  These players want us to buy their jerseys and in a year they are somewhere else with no loyalty to the program.

That's the biggest flaw in the era of "free agency" and NIL.

Unfortunately, most 18-22 year olds won't have the wisdom/experience to understand that before it's too late. Even the ones who know NFL riches are (for most) a pipe dream are looking at NIL as a way to make some real money, but don't understand that few fans (and, in time, few businesses) are going to be unwilling to put out money for mercenaries who'll only be on the roster for a single season, especially at lower levels of college football.

Eventually the only ones making big money playing college football will be the handful of players who'll soon be making big money in the NFL.

Just like the old days.
04-25-2023 10:09 AM
DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It is time to separate professional sports (paid and taxed employees at "P5s") from amateur sports (room, board, & tuition only and non-taxed student-athletes at "G5s"). Amateur student-athletes must sit for a year if they transfer and once an amateur decides to become a professional employee they lose the ability to be an amateur.
04-25-2023 10:28 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(04-25-2023 10:09 AM)whupemall Wrote:  
(04-24-2023 11:49 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  These players want us to buy their jerseys and in a year they are somewhere else with no loyalty to the program.

That's the biggest flaw in the era of "free agency" and NIL.

Unfortunately, most 18-22 year olds won't have the wisdom/experience to understand that before it's too late. Even the ones who know NFL riches are (for most) a pipe dream are looking at NIL as a way to make some real money, but don't understand that few fans (and, in time, few businesses) are going to be unwilling to put out money for mercenaries who'll only be on the roster for a single season, especially at lower levels of college football.

Eventually the only ones making big money playing college football will be the handful of players who'll soon be making big money in the NFL.

Just like the old days.

How many of these "NIL" athletes are actually representing a business ?

Who is responsible for divvying out the money to the players ?
04-25-2023 10:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(04-25-2023 10:53 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  How many of these "NIL" athletes are actually representing a business ?

In the first few months of NIL, it was a lot, even down to the FCS level.

Most of the deals weren't big money AT ALL, but they were good for some spending money at least. (As a former college student myself, I can speak for how nice it is to have a few of them dollar dollar bills in your pocket on a night out...)

A few high-profile deals went south when players transferred, so smaller "mom & pop" businesses became less inclined to take the plunge. Ned's Used Cars in Starkville has absolutely zero interest in continuing to pay the new transfer star receiver at UGA.

That's part of what drove the formation of NIL collectives. It's a lot safer "supporting the program" than it is directly supporting your favorite QB or EDGE.

Regardless, if star players weren't so quick to leave, the market for their NIL would be much higher than it is now.

(And yes, I understand the flip side of this: players should absolutely be able to transfer where they are wanted and needed, or where their degree goals lead them, just like non-athletes. I'm just saying the current fluidity of the situation is costing the players.)
04-25-2023 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.