Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

“PAC 12 to Gas Station TV”
bearcat1970 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
“PAC 12 to Gas Station TV”
Headline for Wetzel and Forde podcast
“ Spring Football QB Competitions. Texas. Georgia. Tennessee. Ohio State. Portal King Kiffin. Pac 12 to Gas Station TV? Why does America hate the train? New B10 Commish. NYC has a “rat czar.”

PAC 12 becoming a national punchline in their hunt for a TV deal. This can’t sit well with the PAC presidents
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2023 06:20 PM by bearcat1970.)
04-17-2023 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Aztecgolfer Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
RE: “PAC 12 to Gas Station TV”
(04-17-2023 06:19 PM)bearcat1970 Wrote:  Headline for Wetzel and Forde podcast
“ Spring Football QB Competitions. Texas. Georgia. Tennessee. Ohio State. Portal King Kiffin. Pac 12 to Gas Station TV? Why does America hate the train? New B10 Commish. NYC has a “rat czar.”

PAC 12 becoming a national punchline in their hunt for a TV deal. This can’t sit well with the PAC presidents

I doubt they'd even bother to care about a couple guys' podcast.
04-17-2023 06:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Well as long as they use Maria Menudos and not Beth Mowins!
04-17-2023 07:38 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(04-17-2023 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Well as long as they use Maria Menudos and not Beth Mowins!

We are supposed to giving them bad ideas, not good ones. PAC at the Cinemark pre-roll could be pretty good.
04-17-2023 07:40 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

Someone's just punching back on the 'B12=truck stop conference' punchline already out there.

University presidents don't pay this kind of trivia much attention.

07-coffee3
04-18-2023 04:46 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-18-2023 04:46 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

Someone's just punching back on the 'B12=truck stop conference' punchline already out there.

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.
04-18-2023 08:02 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(04-18-2023 08:02 AM)ken d Wrote:  

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

I have no sympathy for what’s happening to the PAC in the media. They caused all of this. They could end it all by just signing a deal. The longer they hold off, the more things look like the breakup of the old BE. I’m starting to wonder if Kliavkoff is paid by the click.
04-18-2023 10:51 AM
Aztecgolfer Offline
All American

(04-18-2023 10:51 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

I have no sympathy for what’s happening to the PAC in the media. They caused all of this. They could end it all by just signing a deal. The longer they hold off, the more things look like the breakup of the old BE. I’m starting to wonder if Kliavkoff is paid by the click.

Just sign a deal, that's all they have to do? I'm pretty sure the PAC ADs and presidents would prefer to sign the best deal they can get and really don't worry about what people on twitter are saying.

As I understand it, the B1G deal isn't signed, they just have an agreement. And the B1G is dealing with FOX, CBS and NBC which have done the dance before and have templates in place. The PAC is dealing with people like Apple and Amazon who have never done a contract for collegiate sports so every move has to go through their lawyers.
04-18-2023 10:58 AM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(04-18-2023 10:58 AM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

Just sign a deal, that's all they have to do? I'm pretty sure the PAC ADs and presidents would prefer to sign the best deal they can get and really don't worry about what people on twitter are saying.

As I understand it, the B1G deal isn't signed, they just have an agreement. And the B1G is dealing with FOX, CBS and NBC which have done the dance before and have templates in place. The PAC is dealing with people like Apple and Amazon who have never done a contract for collegiate sports so every move has to go through their lawyers.

I absolutely agree that the "best" deal is more important than the "soonest" deal. However, in this particular situation, it's looking more and more like they're the same thing. They already missed out on a deal similar to the big 12's, now they're stuck trying to decide between Ion TV and Apple+ for what looks to be the same money and less exposure. The random excuses (networks don't donate in the last 2 wks of the year) and obviously false leaks haven't helped Kliavkoff. His greatest allies are openly starting to question if more teams will leave soon. I wonder how that affects media rights negotiations?

When the big 12 lost Nebraska, CU, A&M and Missouri, they decided to stick together, brought on TCU and WV, and signed a new media rights deal. When they lost OUT, they brought on 4 more schools, decided to stick together (or were forced to, whatever), and signed a new media rights deal that was an improvement on the last one. The Pac seems to be stuck in a no-man's man in which they want to continue forward but some of their schools are still aggressively working to leave. Dragging out media rights negotiations only serves to enhance the perception, internally as well as externally, that all is not well.

They need to invite you guys and SMU, work out a media rights deal, and move forward, and they need to do it ASAP.
04-18-2023 02:17 PM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
(04-18-2023 02:17 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(04-18-2023 04:46 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  Someone's just punching back on the 'B12=truck stop conference' punchline already out there.

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

I absolutely agree that the "best" deal is more important than the "soonest" deal. However, in this particular situation, it's looking more and more like they're the same thing. They already missed out on a deal similar to the big 12's, now they're stuck trying to decide between Ion TV and Apple+ for what looks to be the same money and less exposure. The random excuses (networks don't donate in the last 2 wks of the year) and obviously false leaks haven't helped Kliavkoff. His greatest allies are openly starting to question if more teams will leave soon. I wonder how that affects media rights negotiations?

When the big 12 lost Nebraska, CU, A&M and Missouri, they decided to stick together, brought on TCU and WV, and signed a new media rights deal. When they lost OUT, they brought on 4 more schools, decided to stick together (or were forced to, whatever), and signed a new media rights deal that was an improvement on the last one. The Pac seems to be stuck in a no-man's man in which they want to continue forward but some of their schools are still aggressively working to leave. Dragging out media rights negotiations only serves to enhance the perception, internally as well as externally, that all is not well.

They need to invite you guys and SMU, work out a media rights deal, and move forward, and they need to do it ASAP.

Your entire first paragraph is just speculation. The fact that the Presidents are being silent and working through the details of a new tv deal instead of bailing is a statement in and of itself.
04-18-2023 02:40 PM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
(04-17-2023 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well as long as they use Maria Menudos and not Beth Mowins!

This.
04-18-2023 02:52 PM
Advertisement

bearcat1970 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-18-2023 04:46 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  Someone's just punching back on the 'B12=truck stop conference' punchline already out there.

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

Southern Methodist is a non starter for the PAC. The two words “Southern “ and “Methodist “ equals poor cultural fit for the PAC. ( my opinion). If they do invite SMU then I will be proven wrong but I am not wrong( my opinion)
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2023 04:00 PM by bearcat1970.)
04-18-2023 03:59 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
All American

07-coffee3

And we shouldn't either.

How do you know SDSU hasn't already received an invitation?

The PAC deal doesn't expire for another 14 months though I expect the PAC will want their agreement in place before entering their final year of the contract. From what I have read, ESPN is still the main component for linear broadcasts but I really hope AppleTV+ is a major part of the deal, Apple is the most capitalized company in the world and streaming is the future. ESPN has lost 25% of its cable subscribers in the last decade. What the PAC has that the B12 didn't is the PAC12 Network which is a valuable commodity for both Apple and Amazon. Also, Apple and Amazon are new to collegiate athletics so negotiations with them take longer than with the likes of ESPN, FOX, CBS etc.

Which schools are aggressively looking to leave the PAC? Yeah, UW and UO would love a B1G invitation (so would many, including ACC schools), but that isn't happening until the end of the decade, if ever. If any PAC school were to want to go to the B12 they surely can, but that isn't happening. So I question your use of the word "aggressively." The only PAC school that was "aggressive" about leaving was Cal, who had the UCBOR beg the B1G to take them. The answer was a solid "no."

Funny, the "leaks" don't appear to be coming from the PAC and certainly not from Klavikoff. Many of the rumors are coming from supporters of the B12, a conference I think must add PAC schools now to stay "stable" in the future. The only reason the PAC appears unstable is because some of their schools may be attractive to the B1G. The B12 isn't in danger of being poached by either the B1G or SEC. If no PAC schools go, who is the B12 going to add to get into the Pacific time zone, Fresno? I see that happening only if the B12 also gets SDSU, and SDSU's first preference is the PAC. Both conferences know that to be the case.

When all is said and done, the PAC will stick together through this round of realignment for money commensurate with the B12 deal.
04-19-2023 10:47 AM
Aztecgolfer Offline
All American

(04-18-2023 03:59 PM)bearcat1970 Wrote:  
(04-18-2023 08:02 AM)ken d Wrote:  And we shouldn't either.

Southern Methodist is a non starter for the PAC. The two words “Southern “ and “Methodist “ equals poor cultural fit for the PAC. ( my opinion). If they do invite SMU then I will be proven wrong but I am not wrong( my opinion)

SMU is no longer associated with the Methodist church.
04-19-2023 10:51 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(04-19-2023 10:51 AM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  
(04-18-2023 10:51 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I have no sympathy for what’s happening to the PAC in the media. They caused all of this. They could end it all by just signing a deal. The longer they hold off, the more things look like the breakup of the old BE. I’m starting to wonder if Kliavkoff is paid by the click.

It doesn't matter how often this is pointed out to bearcat1970, he'll continue to say it in every thread.

Also lol at "I'm not wrong" and then saying it's you're opinion that you're not wrong. Obviously you're opinion is that you're not wrong, and everything after "then I will be proven wrong" was not needed.
04-19-2023 11:00 AM
bearcat1970 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-18-2023 10:51 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I have no sympathy for what’s happening to the PAC in the media. They caused all of this. They could end it all by just signing a deal. The longer they hold off, the more things look like the breakup of the old BE. I’m starting to wonder if Kliavkoff is paid by the click.

Then change the name because until you do you are still “associated “ with the Methodists .
04-19-2023 11:42 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(04-19-2023 11:00 AM)e-parade Wrote:  
(04-18-2023 10:58 AM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  Just sign a deal, that's all they have to do? I'm pretty sure the PAC ADs and presidents would prefer to sign the best deal they can get and really don't worry about what people on twitter are saying.

It doesn't matter how often this is pointed out to bearcat1970, he'll continue to say it in every thread.

Also lol at "I'm not wrong" and then saying it's you're opinion that you're not wrong. Obviously you're opinion is that you're not wrong, and everything after "then I will be proven wrong" was not needed.

To be fair, he is not wrong either. The M will always be referred to Methodist. Can't kkep it at that.
04-19-2023 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-19-2023 11:42 AM)bearcat1970 Wrote:  
(04-18-2023 10:58 AM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  Just sign a deal, that's all they have to do? I'm pretty sure the PAC ADs and presidents would prefer to sign the best deal they can get and really don't worry about what people on twitter are saying.

Then change the name because until you do you are still “associated “ with the Methodists .

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle
04-19-2023 12:14 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-18-2023 02:52 PM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  
(04-17-2023 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well as long as they use Maria Menudos and not Beth Mowins!

This.

I took my kid to the movie the other day and she was doing the pre-movie show she does. Gawd, she never ages.
04-19-2023 12:43 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(04-19-2023 11:42 AM)bearcat1970 Wrote:  
(04-19-2023 10:51 AM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  SMU is no longer associated with the Methodist church.

Sorry, John Adams, but New England is still associated with England.

07-coffee3
04-19-2023 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.