Open TigerLinks

OOC Schedule to be even tougher next season
Bookmark and Share
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
MyBB OOC Schedule to be even tougher next season
Quote:Memphis basketball's non-conference schedule was loaded this season.

Seven Power 5 teams, two from the Atlantic 10 and one from the Big East. Four of those teams reached the NCAA tournament and one (Alabama) reached the Sweet 16. All told, the Tigers, who finished 26-9, had the 26th-best non-conference strength of schedule in the country. It was the highest degree of difficulty for any Memphis team since the 2011-12 season, when the Tigers faced eight top-65 KenPom teams before Christmas.

What if Memphis' non-league slate is even better in 2023-24? Coach Penny Hardaway is staying aggressive in hopes of giving the Tigers as many opportunities as possible to boost their NCAA tournament at-large resumé. Memphis could potentially have nine games against Power 5 teams and at least one game against a Big East opponent on next season's docket, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

The program already has several games confirmed, even if all the dates have not been finalized. Games against SEC opponents Vanderbilt (at FedExForum), Texas A&M and Ole Miss (both on the road) are already set, as is a road date with defending A10 champion VCU. Texas A&M and VCU made the NCAA tournament this season.

The Tigers will also participate in the Battle 4 Atlantis, a multi-team event set for Thanksgiving week in the Bahamas. The field includes five Power 5 teams (Arkansas, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas Tech and Stanford), a Big East team (Villanova) and a usually strong mid-major (Northern Iowa), and Memphis will face three of those teams. Arkansas and Villanova were NCAA tournament teams this season.

The Tigers are also working to finalize new home-and-home agreements with Mississippi State, Missouri (SEC) and Virginia (ACC), according to sources who requested anonymity since none of the deals have been signed. While negotiations are ongoing, if they are completed, Mississippi State and Virginia would likely play at FedExForum next season and the Tigers would travel to Missouri. All three of those teams reached the Big Dance earlier this month.

At least two of the remaining three non-conference slots, a source said, would likely be filled with buy games, which are home games where the host school pays the visiting team (usually a mid-major or low-major program) a guaranteed sum of money. Memphis' buy games in 2022-23 were North Alabama, Little Rock and Alabama State.
03-30-2023 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: OOC Schedule to be even tougher next season
Non-con schedule getting FUN
03-30-2023 12:40 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
Penny gets it! Period.
03-30-2023 12:41 PM
TylerTiger Offline
The Fountainhead

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-30-2023 11:09 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

Seven Power 5 teams, two from the Atlantic 10 and one from the Big East. Four of those teams reached the NCAA tournament and one (Alabama) reached the Sweet 16. All told, the Tigers, who finished 26-9, had the 26th-best non-conference strength of schedule in the country. It was the highest degree of difficulty for any Memphis team since the 2011-12 season, when the Tigers faced eight top-65 KenPom teams before Christmas.

What if Memphis' non-league slate is even better in 2023-24? Coach Penny Hardaway is staying aggressive in hopes of giving the Tigers as many opportunities as possible to boost their NCAA tournament at-large resumé. Memphis could potentially have nine games against Power 5 teams and at least one game against a Big East opponent on next season's docket, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

The program already has several games confirmed, even if all the dates have not been finalized. Games against SEC opponents Vanderbilt (at FedExForum), Texas A&M and Ole Miss (both on the road) are already set, as is a road date with defending A10 champion VCU. Texas A&M and VCU made the NCAA tournament this season.

The Tigers will also participate in the Battle 4 Atlantis, a multi-team event set for Thanksgiving week in the Bahamas. The field includes five Power 5 teams (Arkansas, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas Tech and Stanford), a Big East team (Villanova) and a usually strong mid-major (Northern Iowa), and Memphis will face three of those teams. Arkansas and Villanova were NCAA tournament teams this season.

The Tigers are also working to finalize new home-and-home agreements with Mississippi State, Missouri (SEC) and Virginia (ACC), according to sources who requested anonymity since none of the deals have been signed. While negotiations are ongoing, if they are completed, Mississippi State and Virginia would likely play at FedExForum next season and the Tigers would travel to Missouri. All three of those teams reached the Big Dance earlier this month.

At least two of the remaining three non-conference slots, a source said, would likely be filled with buy games, which are home games where the host school pays the visiting team (usually a mid-major or low-major program) a guaranteed sum of money. Memphis' buy games in 2022-23 were North Alabama, Little Rock and Alabama State.

If only football would get this aggressive
03-30-2023 12:48 PM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
RE: OOC Schedule to be even tougher next seaso
Absolute must. Load up as many big daddies as possible.

FAU went… what… something like 31-4 in C-USA and got a 9 seed.
03-30-2023 12:51 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2023 12:51 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  Absolute must. Load up as many big daddies as possible.

With NET 13, RPI 10, KenPom 17 and ranked in both AP and Coaches poll (only 25th - filth).
03-30-2023 12:55 PM
Advertisement

oruvoice Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
This should make Ike happy. Light on the cupcakes.
03-30-2023 01:51 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-30-2023 12:55 PM)gusrob Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 12:51 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  Absolute must. Load up as many big daddies as possible.

With NET 13, RPI 10, KenPom 17 and ranked in both AP and Coaches poll (only 25th - filth).

tough to kill stereotypes
03-30-2023 02:35 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2023 02:35 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

I don't think it's accidental. "Mid-major" teams getting s#!+ on is the standard. No way it's consistently an accident.

Gonzaga had to be consistently good for a solid 20 years before getting the respect they deserve. They were Sweet 16 in 1999-2000 and 2000-01.
03-30-2023 03:21 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

Time to change the metrics 03-lmfao
03-30-2023 03:22 PM
tpaw09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(03-30-2023 12:48 PM)TylerTiger Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 11:09 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

If only football would get this aggressive

A bit different in football bc there is only 12 games and with conference schedules 8 to 9 games. Only leaves 3-4 games. These games are for the most part are scheduled years in advance. Most P5 schools will only schedule at the most 1-2 tough OOC games. They want to play the citadels and the VMI s. They don’t want a home and home with a G5 team. Being all said, how do you know we are not trying to schedule bigger schools. They might all say, no thanks and we move on to the next team.
03-30-2023 03:51 PM
Advertisement

CKMcDan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

If Memphis goes 31-4 overall, and 18-2 in the new AAC, we'll get a 4 - 5 seed.

Penny has to figure out how to get his teams ready in November, so they don't get knocked out of the "winners bracket" of these pre-season tournaments. If Penny gets that figured out, then we can get to the 1-2 seed line out of the AAC.
Cal did it out of CUSA once Louisville & Cincinnati left.
03-30-2023 04:42 PM
Poolshrk111 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(03-30-2023 03:21 PM)gusrob Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 02:35 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

I don't think it's accidental. "Mid-major" teams getting s#!+ on is the standard. No way it's consistently an accident.

Gonzaga had to be consistently good for a solid 20 years before getting the respect they deserve. They were Sweet 16 in 1999-2000 and 2000-01.

Since 2012, we have played in four 8/9 games. Not one vs a major conference. FAU, Boise St, George Washington, St Louis.
03-30-2023 05:42 PM
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference
Another thing Penny has done well. I wish the football team would follow his lead (yes, I realize it’s not quite that simple).
03-30-2023 06:02 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators

The OOC better be stout and we better not lose more than 2 of them.
03-30-2023 07:18 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Ike’s very happy but, Ike always knew Penny would play anybody anytime anywhere. Hopefully the ACC is in the mix

Football needs to follow this example, everyone seems to like the basketball OOC SCHEDULE, Ike believes TIGERNATION would be equally as excited with a tougher football schedule
03-30-2023 09:47 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(03-30-2023 09:47 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Ike’s very happy but, Ike always knew Penny would play anybody anytime anywhere. Hopefully the ACC is in the mix

Football needs to follow this example, everyone seems to like the basketball OOC SCHEDULE, Ike believes TIGERNATION would be equally as excited with a tougher football schedule

9 game conf schedules are going to make that really tough...
03-30-2023 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Uofmemphis
Ike realizes this, of course Ike’s been pushing this for a long time
Start calling schools tonight, start with the ACC, Virginia, n.c.state, unc, Syracuse Pitt
BIG Indian,Mary land . How about Oregon state, Arizona, Arizona state.
03-30-2023 10:20 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Hope all of the noted deals get signed. We need a strong OOC schedule & we need wins.
03-31-2023 05:36 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2023 04:42 PM)CKMcDan Wrote:  

If Memphis goes 31-4 overall, and 18-2 in the new AAC, we'll get a 4 - 5 seed.

Penny has to figure out how to get his teams ready in November, so they don't get knocked out of the "winners bracket" of these pre-season tournaments. If Penny gets that figured out, then we can get to the 1-2 seed line out of the AAC.
Cal did it out of CUSA once Louisville & Cincinnati left.

Is this a joke? You think VERY limited data from 15years ago is a better predictor than last year's data w/the same teams?

Our OOC schedule DOES matter! Penny gets it!
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2023 09:30 AM by gusrob.)
03-31-2023 09:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.