03-29-2023 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
RE: Congressional Hearing Regarding NIL "Chaos"
Thanks for posting.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-29-2023 04:48 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
Labron's son has a $7.5 million NIL deal in place
03-29-2023 06:16 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Congressional Hearing Regarding NIL "Chaos"
(03-29-2023 06:16 PM)Klake1987 Wrote:  Labron's son has a $7.5 million NIL deal in place

How in the hell can little NIU compete for players with the Daddy Warbucks funded teams?
03-29-2023 06:46 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-29-2023 06:46 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(03-29-2023 06:16 PM)Klake1987 Wrote:  Labron's son has a $7.5 million NIL deal in place

How in the hell can little NIU compete for players with the Daddy Warbucks funded teams?

I'm looking at you..Mr Northwestern
03-29-2023 07:33 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

I do not think think we were competing for the players getting the big NIL money before NIL started. Nothing has changed for the most part.
03-30-2023 06:38 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(03-30-2023 06:38 AM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  

I do not think think we were competing for the players getting the big NIL money before NIL started. Nothing has changed for the most part.

The problem is that we can not even match Toledo and other MAC schools giving 10-20k to guys in the future. That is where this will really hurt.
03-30-2023 01:44 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

(03-30-2023 06:38 AM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  

We weren't, but then the transfer portal came along, couple that with the NIL and mid-major teams are in perpetual rebuilding. Develop talent and they're jumping ship for the next level. Now throw money into that mix. Now we become the incubator for talent that can be promised money by a P5 school if they do a year stint at NIU to develop and we basically become the minor league/ the Tier II/ the JV.
03-30-2023 02:47 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

What's the congressional hearing going to fix/change? Absolutely nothing...

They did a congressional hearing with Ticketmaster. Guess what? Ticketmaster fees and tickets are still excessively expensive and nothing changed.
03-30-2023 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-30-2023 04:15 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  What's the congressional hearing going to fix/change? Absolutely nothing...

They did a congressional hearing with Ticketmaster. Guess what? Ticketmaster fees and tickets are still excessively expensive and nothing changed.

Correct. Nothing will change. There is way too much money involved, and too many people have their hands in the till. Too late to change anything. And, in the process of everyone’s greed, they killed college sports for everyone but those that have.
03-30-2023 04:29 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

When someone says “they are employees of the school” I tune out. They obviously have no concept that the school and donors are not the ones paying the players.

Well at least schools aren’t.
03-30-2023 07:07 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Buy a winning, championship team. To me, that’s a conflict of interest.
03-30-2023 07:15 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-30-2023 07:07 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  When someone says “they are employees of the school” I tune out. They obviously have no concept that the school and donors are not the ones paying the players.

Is that what that means?

They do get compensation that can be valued in dollars (scholarship) and their efforts create value and income for the school giving them the scholarship.

Nevertheless, the donor is giving them compensation to play for a specific team/school. Sounds like an employee but the compensation is coming through something outside the organization like a grant would. I've known teachers who worked in a school and their salary was paid for by a grant and not the school but they were subject to the same expectations as any other teacher and were supervised by the school administration.

They aren't the same thing but I think a parallel could be drawn. It's not like the player can take the NIL and play anywhere. It is tied directly to that school. Although, there could be a muddying of the water if large companies (ie, shoe companies) get involved and sponsor an athlete and the money is tied to wherever they play (although, I'm sure the player would have stipulations on where they played and the company could have final say or approval).
03-30-2023 07:43 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
The fact that all these schools that wanted NIL could not foresee the issues that would result is pretty comical. What did they expect?
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2023 08:03 PM by DiehardHuskie.)
03-30-2023 08:02 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-30-2023 08:02 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  The fact that all these schools that wanted NIL could not foresee the issues that would result is pretty comical. What did they expect? See

What does it mean for us?

More transfers out. Shemar Thornton, Gavin Williams, Rocky Lombardi, Cam'ron Dabney, Greg Barksdale.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2023 09:01 PM by HawaiiToNIU.)
03-30-2023 08:58 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2023 08:02 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  The fact that all these schools that wanted NIL could not foresee the issues that would result is pretty comical. What did they expect?

NIL was a brilliant move by the Illuminati, I mean NCAA. The original strife was that these schools and networks were making untold millions off the backs of these athletes without sharing profits or compensating. NIL allowed the NCAA keep every penny and just pass that expense onto third parties.
03-30-2023 09:14 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(03-30-2023 07:43 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 07:07 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  When someone says “they are employees of the school” I tune out. They obviously have no concept that the school and donors are not the ones paying the players.

Is that what that means?

They do get compensation that can be valued in dollars (scholarship) and their efforts create value and income for the school giving them the scholarship.

Nevertheless, the donor is giving them compensation to play for a specific team/school. Sounds like an employee but the compensation is coming through something outside the organization like a grant would.

If the student-athletes are categorized as employees, then they also need to pay federal and state income taxes on their compensation. Just like every other working adult. Just because they play football in college doesn't mean they should be exempt.

Same thing should be happening with these P5 conferences with mega TV $$. All these athletic departments raking in huge compensation need to pay federal and state income taxes. They are clearly for profit businesses.
03-31-2023 06:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-31-2023 06:59 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Is that what that means?

Nevertheless, the donor is giving them compensation to play for a specific team/school. Sounds like an employee but the compensation is coming through something outside the organization like a grant would.

If the student-athletes are categorized as employees, then they also need to pay federal and state income taxes on their compensation. Just like every other working adult. Just because they play football in college doesn't mean they should be exempt.

Same thing should be happening with these P5 conferences with mega TV $$. All these athletic departments raking in huge compensation need to pay federal and state income taxes. They are clearly for profit businesses.

NIL deals should be getting taxed regardless of employment status. You can't just get a $400k gift (Nijel Pack) from a non-relative (or relative at that dollar amount) and not pay taxes on it.

But yeah, I've not heard much about how these things are being taxed and was wondering about it a week or so ago but never looked into it.
03-31-2023 07:31 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
This will all serve to further separate the "haves" from the have nots". The "haves" will have sugar daddy donors who will throw out million$ to fill the pockets of the players. The players will be lined up at the "haves" to get their piece of the pie. The "have nots" will all scramble to pick up the crumbs that are left. And, if any of those crumbs turn out to be decent, they'll hit the portal and line up at the "haves". I want to see how this year pans out. Then, I'm done with college sports. This is all just too much.
03-31-2023 08:53 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2023 06:59 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Is that what that means?

yep. What he said.
03-31-2023 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.