UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIT Final watch party - We're gonna need a bigger boat
Plaid Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
NIT Final watch party - We're gonna need a bigger boat
The alumni society watch party at Walk-On's was sold out for the semifinal at 150 fans. Hoping they get a bigger venue for the Final. Would be nice to be on campus and get some student involvement.
03-29-2023 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uab278 Offline
All American

RE: NIT Final watch party - We're gonna need a bigger boat
(03-29-2023 12:21 AM)Plaid Blazer Wrote:  The alumni society watch party at Walk-On's was sold out for the semifinal at 150 fans. Hoping they get a bigger venue for the Final. Would be nice to be on campus and get some student involvement.

They should do this at Bartow!
03-29-2023 07:01 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Love seeing the fans excited
03-29-2023 08:28 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

Avondale FINALLY showed the game outside on their large screen, but they advertised it the day of so not sure how large of a turnout they got.

Iron City would be a great venue if they don't have anything booked in the larger venue.
I guess we shall wait and see today/tomorrow and see which Birmingham business step up.
03-29-2023 09:22 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

CBS 42 did a story about the watch party yesterday morning. They interviewed the Walk On's manager and he said they hoped to host another watch party on Thursday if we won.
03-29-2023 09:38 AM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(03-29-2023 09:38 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  CBS 42 did a story about the watch party yesterday morning. They interviewed the Walk On's manager and he said they hoped to host another watch party on Thursday if we won.

I appreciate them hosting the Watch Party, but there needs to be one in BIRMINGHAM!! Hell, the Alumni Society could host one at Alumni House, it's large enough and has a huge projector in the Alumni Hall room. Charge ~$5 and have it catered/order pizzas.
03-29-2023 09:57 AM
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Shouldn’t UAB host it at Bartow?? That seems like the most fitting idea to me
03-29-2023 10:08 AM
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

(03-29-2023 10:08 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Shouldn’t UAB host it at Bartow?? That seems like the most fitting idea to me

I remember watching the NCAA First Four game at Bartow, when Davis was coach, and we got embarrassed by Clemson.
03-29-2023 10:14 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

Yeah agreed. Bartow or Alumni House.

Although I remember when Cahaba had that UAB beer during the return. Would be nice if they had discounts on a similar style beer and hosted one as well.

All these breweries are having missed opportunities especially since the hometown team is the only team in the state playing in a championship.
03-29-2023 10:21 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

03-29-2023 10:24 AM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(03-29-2023 10:21 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Yeah agreed. Bartow or Alumni House.

Although I remember when Cahaba had that UAB beer during the return. Would be nice if they had discounts on a similar style beer and hosted one as well.

All these breweries are having missed opportunities especially since the hometown team is the only team in the state playing in a championship.

Most bars and restaurants around the city don't be promoting themselves for events like this like when March Madness was in town 03-no
03-29-2023 10:34 AM
Advertisement

blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(03-29-2023 10:34 AM)C-Finder Wrote:  
(03-29-2023 10:21 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Yeah agreed. Bartow or Alumni House.

Most bars and restaurants around the city don't be promoting themselves for events like this like when March Madness was in town 03-no

Yep, which makes me think it's a Birmingham pride problem rather than just a UAB problem.
03-29-2023 10:42 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-29-2023 10:24 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  It will be at Walk On's

https://alumni.uab.edu/s/1881/alumni19/i...nt_id=5028

Hope fans tip better this time. We were sitting next to the waiting staff table and could tell they were very disappointed in the tipping situation.

That's partly on the restaurant manager because I would have pooled tips that night and made it clear that was going to be the case for this event. They definitely staffed up for us last night. Not fair for some wait staff to win the table lottery and others don't when we are keeping regular customers from taking tables (I fully understand we brought way more people than they would have gotten on a random Tuesday night).

BUT a lot of it is on UAB and our fanbase. Alumni society did appetizers and free drink tickets (that I'm aware they purchased) for an 8pm event (8:30pm game). There were a lot of people that ate before they came and didn't order much and therefor probably didn't tip that much.

Just unfortunate for the staff that they felt letdown when the energy was so exciting in the place. We even tried to tell one of the organizers to announce to please tip well or something and it was basically held until everybody was walking out. It was honestly kind of embarrassing for me and I wish the UAB Alumni Society had thrown in a minimum amount of tip pool for the staff as part of this deal (doesn't seem to me like that was the case).

Otherwise a pretty good night (other than awkwardly sharing tables with some people lol).
03-29-2023 11:34 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(03-29-2023 11:34 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  

Hope fans tip better this time. We were sitting next to the waiting staff table and could tell they were very disappointed in the tipping situation.

That's partly on the restaurant manager because I would have pooled tips that night and made it clear that was going to be the case for this event. They definitely staffed up for us last night. Not fair for some wait staff to win the table lottery and others don't when we are keeping regular customers from taking tables (I fully understand we brought way more people than they would have gotten on a random Tuesday night).

BUT a lot of it is on UAB and our fanbase. Alumni society did appetizers and free drink tickets (that I'm aware they purchased) for an 8pm event (8:30pm game). There were a lot of people that ate before they came and didn't order much and therefor probably didn't tip that much.

Just unfortunate for the staff that they felt letdown when the energy was so exciting in the place. We even tried to tell one of the organizers to announce to please tip well or something and it was basically held until everybody was walking out. It was honestly kind of embarrassing for me and I wish the UAB Alumni Society had thrown in a minimum amount of tip pool for the staff as part of this deal (doesn't seem to me like that was the case).

Otherwise a pretty good night (other than awkwardly sharing tables with some people lol).

This.
03-29-2023 11:41 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB

Going to contradict myself here but I appreciate the alumni society for setting it up, and I also appreciate Walk Ons for showing a game that started at 8:30pm. But maybe the restaurant should just pay it's employees. Or maybe the event should have been held at a more casual place (Avondale Brewing). 8:30pm is like second dinner territory for most people these days.
03-29-2023 12:01 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(03-29-2023 12:01 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  

Going to contradict myself here but I appreciate the alumni society for setting it up, and I also appreciate Walk Ons for showing a game that started at 8:30pm. But maybe the restaurant should just pay it's employees. Or maybe the event should have been held at a more casual place (Avondale Brewing). 8:30pm is like second dinner territory for most people these days.

Is Walk Ons the sponsor for the coaches’ show? If so I imagine this was a giveback to help support that partnership.
03-29-2023 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Blazethegirl Offline
Water Engineer

(03-29-2023 09:22 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Avondale FINALLY showed the game outside on their large screen, but they advertised it the day of so not sure how large of a turnout they got.

Iron City would be a great venue if they don't have anything booked in the larger venue.
I guess we shall wait and see today/tomorrow and see which Birmingham business step up.

We went to Avondale and there was literally NOBODY. We were the only ones until we left to just watch it at home.
03-29-2023 12:24 PM
BlazerEducator68 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-29-2023 12:24 PM)Blazethegirl Wrote:  
(03-29-2023 09:22 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Avondale FINALLY showed the game outside on their large screen, but they advertised it the day of so not sure how large of a turnout they got.

We went to Avondale and there was literally NOBODY. We were the only ones until we left to just watch it at home.

We also went to Avondale but left when we did not see anyone else outside watching it. The screen is amazing but they were playing music instead of the sound from the game. My buddy was hungry and we did not see any of the BBQ they mentioned on their Facebook post. We went to BWW but had to leave at halftime since they close at 10. Finished the game at home.
03-29-2023 01:50 PM
Slushey51 Offline
Bench Warmer

I hear that the Goose, in Avondale, will be hosting a watch party tomorrow!
03-29-2023 02:37 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators

Surprised they didn't automatically add an 18% tip like they did at some of the Coaches Shows.
03-29-2023 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.