UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB & UNT - Collision Course?
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
UAB & UNT - Collision Course?
Both UAB and North Texas open as 2 point favorites in Tuesday's NIT Semi-Final games.

[Image: Fr6PxrbXwAEmxnb?format=jpg&name=small]
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2023 01:11 PM by blazerjay.)
03-24-2023 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

RE: UAB & UNT - Collision Course?
Utah Valley is a really good club, but overall I think we match up well.

They have a nice 7 foot center who is athletic as heck and a good shot blocker. He isn’t Sharp of WKU size wise of course but he is a more natural athlete with a sick wingspan and better offensive skill. But he also is going to have to deal with Richard who should be able to push him around. We need to win the foul-trouble battle there.

They have two big guards, the kind who get to the rim and cause us problems. If we let them run downhill all night they will hurt us.

But they also aren’t going to have that home energy they had against Cincinnati and those guards are also going to have to chase Jelly and Eric all game. That is a tall order.

I didn’t really see where they had a guy who could match up well with KJ. He needs to be active and under control and go up strong. Don’t throw up the weak stuff, the big guy will block that. Go up strong and through contact and I think he could have a big game.

Also think this is a night we need Tavin to be locked in on defense and active enough on offense to make those guards work.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2023 10:35 AM by DuelingDragon.)
03-24-2023 10:33 AM
grendelson138 Offline
Special Teams

I'm wondering how many Utah Valley fans will make the trip. We have enough experience that it may not affect the outcome, but a packed, crazy arena probably won't help us.
03-24-2023 10:41 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I really hope to never have to play against a Grant McCasland UNT squad again. The first 5 minutes of the CUSA tourney game were fun, the rest of the time we have played them it's been like getting a root canal.

But yeah, lets get by this scrappy Utah Valley squad first, then worry.
03-24-2023 10:44 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-24-2023 10:44 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  I really hope to never have to play against a Grant McCasland UNT squad again. The first 5 minutes of the CUSA tourney game were fun, the rest of the time we have played them it's been like getting a root canal.

But yeah, lets get by this scrappy Utah Valley squad first, then worry.

Agreed , first Utah Valley, but I had rather see a known in the final than Wisconsin. The badgers are bigger and slower than UNT. Trey has an advantage against UNT, and Jelly gets salty when he sees the Conference POY line up against him.
03-24-2023 11:03 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(03-24-2023 10:41 AM)grendelson138 Wrote:  I'm wondering how many Utah Valley fans will make the trip. We have enough experience that it may not affect the outcome, but a packed, crazy arena probably won't help us.

Orem, Utah is approximately 5½ hours from Las Vegas.
03-24-2023 01:08 PM
Advertisement

C-Finder Offline
All American

If only I morph into a jet so I can fly to Vegas

[Image: pastor-jet.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2023 01:14 PM by C-Finder.)
03-24-2023 01:13 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-24-2023 01:08 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 10:41 AM)grendelson138 Wrote:  I'm wondering how many Utah Valley fans will make the trip. We have enough experience that it may not affect the outcome, but a packed, crazy arena probably won't help us.

While this is true, flights from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas are frequent, fast, and frugal.
03-24-2023 03:27 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2023 03:27 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

While this is true, flights from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas are frequent, fast, and frugal.

I think what BJ was trying to point out was that Its a very doable drive for their fans to get there. If not, then that's what I would point out. Several busloads of their fans could make a difference in the arena.
03-24-2023 06:08 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
I've been there for trade shows. It's a weird arena. It's actually an ice hockey rink with a floor laid over it. The floor's cold, and it gets condensation spots. Expect a few Gainesian turnovers from people who are not EG.
03-24-2023 06:24 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-24-2023 06:08 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  

I think what BJ was trying to point out was that Its a very doable drive for their fans to get there. If not, then that's what I would point out. Several busloads of their fans could make a difference in the arena.

I read it as “it’s not as close as you think”.
03-24-2023 08:06 PM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(03-24-2023 06:24 PM)58-56 Wrote:  I've been there for trade shows. It's a weird arena. It's actually an ice hockey rink with a floor laid over it. The floor's cold, and it gets condensation spots. Expect a few Gainesian turnovers from people who are not EG.

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

I don't know how y'all are feeling but I think UAB's season ends on Tuesday. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I'm just pleased that the team made it to the semis of the NIT.
03-27-2023 09:21 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-27-2023 09:21 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  I don't know how y'all are feeling but I think UAB's season ends on Tuesday. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I'm just pleased that the team made it to the semis of the NIT.

I think you are wrong. I think this team still has something left to prove and they want to walk away with something for the work. I think they win by double digits.
03-27-2023 09:27 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The PTSD’d Blazer in me knows this is the part of the story where we usually throw up on our shoes, but I am optimistic this time is different.
03-27-2023 09:56 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
This is a very winnable game. This is also a team that will stomp a mudhole in us if we aren't ready. I always worry about guys focusing in a place like Vegas, but that goes for both teams. The rumors with their coach will help our cause most likely. I have a feeling we show up ready to play tomorrow and take care of business.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2023 11:17 AM by blazers9911.)
03-27-2023 10:14 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
I always think that UAB will win, but the team has been playing with much more positive energy in the NIT. The ability has been there all along.

We've forgotten the lessons Gene taught us. This is the part where UAB wins.
03-27-2023 10:20 AM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Chance to make history by advancing past the Final Four in the NIT. Need to get it done! This team is very special and deserves to (for many of them) end their collegiate careers as winners.
03-27-2023 10:25 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-24-2023 06:08 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  

Add that it's a school with 40k students.
03-28-2023 12:23 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-27-2023 10:14 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  This is a very winnable game. This is also a team that will stomp a mudhole in us if we aren't ready. I always worry about guys focusing in a place like Vegas, but that goes for both teams. The rumors with their coach will help our cause most likely. I have a feeling we show up ready to play tomorrow and take care of business.

Jon Rothstein reported last night he was taking the Cal job. He also wasn't present for the team press conferences yesterday.
03-28-2023 08:33 AM
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

Just hoping that Andy Kennedy can join Gene Bartow--and Rob Ehsan--as the only UAB coaches to win their final game of the season. It's a pretty rare feet in college basketball, with it being a tournament sport where everyone but the champion(s) loses their last game.

Back when the NIT had a consolation game in the Final Four, we won it twice, under Bartow. We beat Michigan State in 1989 and Providence in 1993. And of course Rob Ehsan was on his way to a likely national championship in 2020 when Covid cancelled it all, after we beat UTSA in the first round of the CUSA tournament.
03-28-2023 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.