- Transfer Portal Additions: Demarkcus Bowman and Trent Whittemore
03-21-2023 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Football Spring Ball
I think the first team will be fine in B12 but doubt the depth will be there. If we simply are Bowl eligible next year I would be happy.
03-22-2023 07:37 AM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
BYU's spring camp is 2 weeks in. On offense they reportedly feel good about QB1 with senior transfer Slovis--but beyond him there is little experience. They also like their WRs, TEs, and their rebuilt OL. Some key players are sitting out the spring recovering from injuries like new RB1 Aiden Robbins.

On defense they have a new coordinator who is installing a new "complicated" defense so there is lots of learning going on. They have 3 key LBs sitting out spring recovering from offseason surgeries. They are integrating lots of new faces and do like the guys at CB and S. The DL struggled in recent years but is also being rebuilt.

Special teams could be a problem. They have 5 guys competing for the kicking duties this spring, but have struggled to have someone step up and win the job--one of the walk-ons has reportedly already left the camp and team. They may end up looking for a transfer portal guy before fall camp.

As with many new teams, the depth for P5 ball isn't there yet so how the season goes will depend on keeping the starters healthy and developing talent behind them. Bowl eligibility would be a success.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023 08:04 AM by f1do.)
03-22-2023 07:54 AM
Endeavor. Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
03-23-2023 01:37 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
The UC game is 4/15 unless our AD cancels it to redo the playing surface like he did with basketball so we would lose at UVU. I am still trying to figure out anything our AD has improved. The premium Club Seats his changes have sucked. Such as removing seating and making the food offerings worse. Lost an FB coach. Got sued for firing a BB coach and trying to stiff him on payout. He fired the WBB coach weeks ago and no replacement.
03-23-2023 05:22 PM
Johnny Incognito Online
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
WVU gonna suck again this year. Hopefully it’s Browns last season.
03-23-2023 06:42 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
STAFF: Released Tom Manning who was briefly on staff with the Bearcats and is now back with the Colts, and promoted WR coach Nate Scheelhaase (former Illini QB) to Offensive Coordinator/QB coach. Hopefully he can establish some sort of vertical threat because teams have been loading the box and daring Iowa State to go over the top (we can't). Also fired the offensive line coach and brought in a guy from Northern Iowa: Ryan Clanton who put Trevor Penning & Spencer Brown in the NFL. Finally hired a dedicated special teams coach to address our woes there. The defensive staff returns largely intact as we have consistently led the conference.

QB: Hunter Dekkers returns for his Junior campaign. Had a solid sophomore season statistically. He wasn't the problem with last year's offense.

RB: No major losses; return most of the injury-plagued stable from last season. Quality depth.

WR: Replacing Xavier Hutchinson's production will be a tough task. No clear NFL-caliber talents returning.

TE: Everyone returns; veteran group headlined by DeShawn Hanika. He will probably be Hunter's favorite target.

O-Line: This is the unit that has been holding Iowa State back for decades. We haven't put anyone in the league since Kelechi Osemele; Matt Campbell has yet to produce an NFL O-lineman. Pass protection has been adequate, but the run game often lacks push and the constant penalties are infuriating. The good news is we return plenty of size, depth, and experience for Ryan Clanton to work with.

D-Line: Will McDonald moves on to the NFL after setting the school career sack record. Our other productive defensive end declared early for the draft, so replacing the outside rush will fall on the shoulders of Juco transfer Jefferson Adam and Joey Petersen. The interior is solid with size, experience, and depth.

Linebacker: Big losses at middle and strongside. Gerry Vaughn will use his covid year to return for a 6th season @ weakside. Zachary Lovett arrives from Missouri and is expected to challenge for a starter role. Beyond that we'll need a couple sophomores that were worked into the rotation last season to step up.

Safety: Anthony Johnson exhausted his eligibility, but Beau Freyler headlines a talented position group returning plenty of experience including Malik Verdon from injury.

Corner: Iowa State (probably) dedicated much of its football NIL funds towards keeping TJ Tampa in Ames. Right now he's the most likely Cyclone to be drafted in '24. Opposite him returns Myles Purchase. The secondary has been a strength for the defense, but the group needs to snag more interceptions.

Special Teams: Lord help us. This is the other unit that has been holding us back. Kicking sucks. Punting sucks. Coverage sucks. The lone bright spot has been our long snappers. Hopefully our newly appointed dedicated coordinator can clean this **** up.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2023 01:15 PM by CYOWA.)
03-27-2023 11:26 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

How is the B12 attendance for Spring Games?

I have attended a few of ours and typically never a crowd over several thousand.

I hope weather is good and the crowd turns out to see how our new coach does it.

It is disappointing that the Club/Suite section is never opened.
03-28-2023 01:41 PM
muckdawg24 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
I'd like to know as well, in the best years we've had 15k out for a Spring game but sometimes it depends on the time and date.
03-28-2023 02:03 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(03-28-2023 01:41 PM)doss2 Wrote:  How is the B12 attendance for Spring Games?

I have attended a few of ours and typically never a crowd over several thousand.

I hope weather is good and the crowd turns out to see how our new coach does it.

We'll be having the first spring "game" (glorified scrimmage) since- 2017? I believe? Anyways- it's been awhile. Campbell has made statements in the past hinting at not being a fan of big public scrimmages to end the spring season. My theory is that he's looking to change things up after a couple of disappointing seasons following the Fiesta Bowl run. Late April in Iowa is a coin flip. There could be sunshine and flowers or there could be a blizzard. If it's a nice day, we could put 30,000 in the stands. Or we could call the whole thing off.
03-29-2023 01:23 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2023 01:23 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 01:41 PM)doss2 Wrote:  How is the B12 attendance for Spring Games?

We'll be having the first spring "game" (glorified scrimmage) since- 2017? I believe? Anyways- it's been awhile. Campbell has made statements in the past hinting at not being a fan of big public scrimmages to end the spring season. My theory is that he's looking to change things up after a couple of disappointing seasons following the Fiesta Bowl run. Late April in Iowa is a coin flip. There could be sunshine and flowers or there could be a blizzard. If it's a nice day, we could put 30,000 in the stands. Or we could call the whole thing off.

Ohio is the same unpredictable weather. I think last year was cancelled do to weather.
03-29-2023 01:29 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

UC game today:

1. Used 4 QB's before I left. Bryant was #1 and looked recovered from his late year ankle injury. Emory Jones our transfer from AZ at #2 look good with accurate passes. #3 was Brady Lichtenberg and the freshman likely 4* RS Brady Drogash made some strong throws. Last years backup Evan Prater was nowhere to be seen. I expect him to transfer as he just doesn't have the skill at this level.

2. The crowd was disappointing considering it was a beautiful day.

3. Defense looked good.

4. NFL players Alex Pearce and NFL D Rookie of the Year Sause Gardner were in the house.
04-15-2023 05:24 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
UCF's big story from the Spring Game. Dual-Sport Athlete John Rhys Plumlee playing in the baseball game and then running over to play in the football spring game.

Baseball game he went 2 for 3 at the plate with 2 RBIs and 1 run.
Football game he was 10 of 17 for 236 passing yards and 2 TDs

He's a maximum effort guy. I think he won some fans over with his dedication to be 100% present for both sports. Let's see how long that lasts.

Based on what we saw, JRP is still QB1 for UCF but the coaching staff says its still an open competition.

Castellanos was 7 of 13 for 105 passing yards and 2 TDs.

McClain seems like a non-factor at this point. He might enter the transfer portal again. I think he still has his instant eligibility because he missed the window last season and was forced to redshirt.
04-17-2023 08:28 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

UC - Evan Prater supposedly did not play because of sore shoulder. I still expect him to transfer.
04-17-2023 09:56 AM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

So of course Saturday's forecast is the coldest over the next two weeks. Cloudy and 46 degrees. **** you, Orlando.
04-17-2023 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.