Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 JMU Coaches Caravan
Bookmark and Share
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Smile 2023 JMU Coaches Caravan
Duke Club Wrote:Join JMU Athletics fans, friends, and the Duke Club on the road May 22 through May 25 for the 2023 JMU Coaches Caravan events.

The 2023 Caravan will feature JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne, Football Head Coach Coach Curt Cignetti, Men's Basketball Head Coach Mark Byington and Women's Basketball Head Coach Sean O'Regan and will include four scheduled tour stops in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Fairfax and Leesburg.

Don't miss this JMU tradition and the opportunity to hear about the 2022-2023 seasons in the Sun Belt Conference, the Women's Basketball run in the NCAA Tournament, and the forecasts for next season.

Event tickets will go on sale in mid-April. Explore below to learn more about the event locations and start making your plans to join us on the road.

Questions? Contact the Duke Club at (540) 568-6461 or dukeclub@jmu.edu.

https://jmudukeclub.com/news/2023/3/11/g...df7b9b8448

The article says Fairfax but it should say Alexandria (Port City Brewery) based on the schedule they have posted at the bottom.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2023 06:07 PM by Polish Hammer.)
03-15-2023 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: 2023 JMU Coaches Caravan
(03-15-2023 06:00 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
Duke Club Wrote:Join JMU Athletics fans, friends, and the Duke Club on the road May 22 through May 25 for the 2023 JMU Coaches Caravan events.

The 2023 Caravan will feature JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne, Football Head Coach Coach Curt Cignetti, Men's Basketball Head Coach Mark Byington and Women's Basketball Head Coach Sean O'Regan and will include four scheduled tour stops in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Fairfax and Leesburg.

Don't miss this JMU tradition and the opportunity to hear about the 2022-2023 seasons in the Sun Belt Conference, the Women's Basketball run in the NCAA Tournament, and the forecasts for next season.

Event tickets will go on sale in mid-April. Explore below to learn more about the event locations and start making your plans to join us on the road.

Questions? Contact the Duke Club at (540) 568-6461 or dukeclub@jmu.edu.

https://jmudukeclub.com/news/2023/3/11/g...df7b9b8448

The article says Fairfax but it should say Alexandria (Port City Brewery) based on the schedule they have posted at the bottom.

Port City was a pretty nice place last year, though 6:00pm can be challenging travel wise on a weeknight from some parts of DC/NoVa. Enjoyed a port city brew just this past week.

Thinking about the mysterious stop #4 in Ashburn once they work that out. That's a bit easier to reach for those to the west of the beltway, especially if its somewhere near 267 west or 28.
03-15-2023 06:21 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

It's updated now to reflect Alexandria. They've got some good beers. Leesburg/Ashburn might be at Blackfinn by the new Metro station out there. They host a lot of JMU sports watch parties there and the seating is laid out such that one section of the restaurant can be sectioned off from the rest of the diners.
03-16-2023 07:39 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(03-16-2023 07:39 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  It's updated now to reflect Alexandria. They've got some good beers. Leesburg/Ashburn might be at Blackfinn by the new Metro station out there. They host a lot of JMU sports watch parties there and the seating is laid out such that one section of the restaurant can be sectioned off from the rest of the diners.
It still says Fairfax in the article.

Quote:The 2023 Caravan will feature JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne, Football Head Coach Coach Curt Cignetti, Men's Basketball Head Coach Mark Byington and Women's Basketball Head Coach Sean O'Regan and will include four scheduled tour stops in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Fairfax and Leesburg.
03-16-2023 12:42 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(03-16-2023 12:42 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(03-16-2023 07:39 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  It's updated now to reflect Alexandria. They've got some good beers. Leesburg/Ashburn might be at Blackfinn by the new Metro station out there. They host a lot of JMU sports watch parties there and the seating is laid out such that one section of the restaurant can be sectioned off from the rest of the diners.

Quote:The 2023 Caravan will feature JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne, Football Head Coach Coach Curt Cignetti, Men's Basketball Head Coach Mark Byington and Women's Basketball Head Coach Sean O'Regan and will include four scheduled tour stops in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Fairfax and Leesburg.

Oh I just looked at the pictures. Didn't read the article lol.
03-16-2023 01:52 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(03-16-2023 12:42 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

Well, to be nit-picky it is Fairfax.

I grew up in Alexandria and it was County of Fearfax. 22310 was both.

Similarly we now reside in Midloathean, Chesterfield County.

Kinda an oddball thing with being a Commonwealth instead of a State, but either or both can apply.
03-16-2023 03:56 PM
Advertisement

JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
I always thought it was Feartax.
03-17-2023 11:11 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(03-17-2023 11:11 AM)JMU85 Wrote:  I always thought it was Feartax.

you got that right!
03-20-2023 11:48 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Just got an email saying tickets are on sale. I've never been to that Revolution Sportsplex location in Leesburg but it seems like an interesting place.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2023 07:56 AM by AssyrianDuke.)
04-19-2023 07:46 AM
POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
(03-16-2023 03:56 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  ...

Well, to be nit-picky it is Fairfax.

I grew up in Alexandria and it was County of Fearfax. 22310 was both.

Similarly we now reside in Midloathean, Chesterfield County.

Kinda an oddball thing with being a Commonwealth instead of a State, but either or both can apply.

Well, not to be even nit-pickier, ha, but all cities in VA are independent (the only state in which this is the case) so one can not be in a city and county at the same time. You're either in the City of Alexandria or Fairfax County, not both, governmentally speaking. Zip code designations are a federal thing and often make no sense, so no reason to pay attention to that. Midlothian, however, is in Chesterfield because it's not a city or town - just a place with 23 Wawas and 357 traffic lights.
04-19-2023 08:09 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

The caravan will provide a Q&A but they also posted an opportunity to send questions in to be addressed. Additionally, Mr. Bourne had a press conference today that covered much of what we’ve kicked around here.

https://soundcloud.com/espn-harrisonburg...ourne-0518
05-19-2023 05:04 PM
Advertisement

JMU1987UVA1998 Offline
1st String

Anything notable to report from last night's Caravan stop in RVA at Hardywood Park?
05-23-2023 09:42 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I was at the CC in Alexandria last night and oddly the topics of stadium expansion and the FBS waiver denial never came up. Discussions of NIL seemed to be the main focus and how we never could've kept our athletes from being poached once the $$$ started getting tossed around. I believe it was said Kiki was offered $100k+ and the football guys at least $400k (DTD, Smoothie Wells, Ukwu). Of course nobody was happy about the status of the NCAA and current portal/NIL issues, but moving forward we're going to have to be able to offer up something to appease them while at JMU, as opposed to throwing money at them to come to JMU.
05-25-2023 05:29 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Do WNBA or NFL practice squad players even make that much?
05-25-2023 07:01 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(05-25-2023 07:01 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Do WNBA or NFL practice squad players even make that much?
Oddly, Coach O mentioned Kiki could still have reached the WNBA from JMU, but making a team is difficult and rookies only earn about $50k. Let's face it, if you can play you can still make the pros without being at a power program, in 2019 Ja Morant got picked 2nd overall from Murray State, Trey Lance 3rd overall from NDSU in 2021, but now the NIL $$ while still a student is the difference. Coach Cignetti wasn't sure what Ukwu got from Ole Miss, but did say he was offered $250k from Auburn, so he probably got around $400k like the others.
05-25-2023 07:07 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2023 07:01 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Do WNBA or NFL practice squad players even make that much?

G league NBA top prospects can make in the $400-500k range right out of High School.

The big bucks are out there if a booster wants to spend their money that way.

SMU boosters whose under-the-table $$$ led to the Mustangs NCAA football death penalty must be spinning in their graves.

It’s the Wild Wild West now as many predicted.
05-25-2023 07:51 AM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Is that a guaranteed $250K or with incentives it could reach $250K?
05-25-2023 08:03 AM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(05-25-2023 07:07 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
Oddly, Coach O mentioned Kiki could still have reached the WNBA from JMU, but making a team is difficult and rookies only earn about $50k. Let's face it, if you can play you can still make the pros without being at a power program, in 2019 Ja Morant got picked 2nd overall from Murray State, Trey Lance 3rd overall from NDSU in 2021, but now the NIL $$ while still a student is the difference. Coach Cignetti wasn't sure what Ukwu got from Ole Miss, but did say he was offered $250k from Auburn, so he probably got around $400k like the others.

I really wish Ukwu stayed at JMU but I can’t say with a straight face that I would turn that down in his position. NFL teams aren’t generally looking for guys who spent 7 years in college and have an injury history so this could be his only shot to make big money from football. Imagine starting his career after football with almost half a million. It’s the Wild West and I don’t know how JMU competes with that but it isn’t the player’s fault or concern.
05-25-2023 08:14 AM
Dukester Offline

(05-25-2023 08:14 AM)Anders Wrote:  
(05-25-2023 07:07 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

I really wish Ukwu stayed at JMU but I can’t say with a straight face that I would turn that down in his position. NFL teams aren’t generally looking for guys who spent 7 years in college and have an injury history so this could be his only shot to make big money from football. Imagine starting his career after football with almost half a million. It’s the Wild West and I don’t know how JMU competes with that but it isn’t the player’s fault or concern.

Or Wells, or any of these guys.

I will say, NIL will be in the back pocket for use by lower level coaches losing players to other schools even if that might not be the complete story.

Brady would of been saying - "They offered the transfers out more NIL." 03-lmfao

Not really the fault of the power 5 in this case. It was the courts that opened it up, and perhaps rightfully so. Just don't like the effect it has on JMU and lower level schools.
05-25-2023 08:26 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Speaking of the NIL, I spoke to Cig for a while at the Caravan and he believes the NIL collective is more important than anything right now to keep the momentum of the football program.

The company line was to support the Duke Club scholarships first and then give additional money, if you can, to the NIL collective. Cig believes the NIL collective is more important at this time of JMU is going to retain good players. It isn’t the recruiting, it is the retention.
05-25-2023 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.