Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Change at the top for Women's Basketball
Bookmark and Share
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Change at the top for Women's Basketball
Well, most of us called this one...you'd have to figure with the portal kind of helping make jobs with less talented immediate rosters more attractive and us moving to the Big 12, there could be some solid candidates available. This was a non-renewal, as her contract was up at the end of this season.

Quote:UC Athletics Announces Women’s Basketball Change in Leadership
A national search for the next leader of Cincinnati women’s hoops is underway
March 07, 2023

CINCINNATI – University of Cincinnati Director of Athletics John Cunningham announced on Tuesday that women's basketball head coach Michelle Clark-Heard will not return.

A national search for the next Cincinnati women's basketball coach will begin immediately.

"I want to thank Coach Clark-Heard for her dedication to our women's basketball program over the last five years," Cunningham said. "We appreciate all of the time and effort she gave to our student-athletes and our university.

"Our history, recent facility upgrades, continued investment and future in the Big 12 make this a very attractive job. Cincinnati women's basketball can be a contender for championships and we are going to do everything we can to get this program among the best in our new league. We will find the right fit to lead our program and develop our young women on and off the floor."

Clark-Heard led the Bearcats for five seasons and finished with a record of 74-75.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/3/7/wom...bvkU505XOo

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 03:46 PM by BearcatMan.)
03-07-2023 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

RE: Change at the top for Women's Basketball
My guess at an early favorite for the job would be Robyn Fralick at BGSU. Is a younger coach and plays a pretty dynamic and super high-tempo game which has been very attractive to a lot of recruits. She won multiple D2 national titles at Ashland before jumping up a division and taking over a BGSU program that was in the trash can and has won the MAC outright once, and has a team that may win the MAC tourney again this year along with 3 consecutive 20-win season for a team that consistently has a pretty un-winnable OOC slate every year. Her career arc so far is eerily similar to Bob Huggins' own early career. With better facilities and more resources, as well as her recruiting connections already built over a decade of coaching in Ohio...I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her end up as the new coach.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 03:53 PM by BearcatMan.)
03-07-2023 03:53 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I think we should use a Big 6 wheel like they have at catholic festivals...put random coach names on it and spin to see who gets hired.

Would anyone really notice?

03-07-2023 04:01 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Really thought Clark-Heard was going to be a good hire for UC.

In Clark-Heard's 8 seasons prior to the last two she won at least 22 every season. She was 190-67 overall. She had 4 NCAA tournament births, 3 NIT births (2 NIT quarterfinals), and the COVID year where the tournaments were canceled. Things just fell off so quickly. I don't follow close enough to know what happened. Feels like they just had to really miss on a couple recruiting classes.

03-07-2023 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(03-07-2023 03:53 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  My guess at an early favorite for the job would be Robyn Fralick at BGSU. Is a younger coach and plays a pretty dynamic and super high-tempo game which has been very attractive to a lot of recruits. She won multiple D2 national titles at Ashland before jumping up a division and taking over a BGSU program that was in the trash can and has won the MAC outright once, and has a team that may win the MAC tourney again this year along with 3 consecutive 20-win season for a team that consistently has a pretty un-winnable OOC slate every year. Her career arc so far is eerily similar to Bob Huggins' own early career. With better facilities and more resources, as well as her recruiting connections already built over a decade of coaching in Ohio...I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her end up as the new coach.

Good background on an interesting candidate - thanks!

03-07-2023 04:53 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(03-07-2023 04:01 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I think we should use a Big 6 wheel like they have at catholic festivals...put random coach names on it and spin to see who gets hired.

Always pumping sunshine.

03-07-2023 05:24 PM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(03-07-2023 04:41 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Really thought Clark-Heard was going to be a good hire for UC.

In Clark-Heard's 8 seasons prior to the last two she won at least 22 every season. She was 190-67 overall. She had 4 NCAA tournament births, 3 NIT births (2 NIT quarterfinals), and the COVID year where the tournaments were canceled. Things just fell off so quickly. I don't follow close enough to know what happened. Feels like they just had to really miss on a couple recruiting classes.

Yeah, that was strange. She had a great background (Western Kentucky?) and found near-instant success. I thought we had found lightning in a bottle, but these past few years were a train wreck.

03-07-2023 05:26 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Arrive with fanfare.

Leave carrying their stuff in a box out to the car.

03-07-2023 05:49 PM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
(03-07-2023 05:26 PM)geef Wrote:  
(03-07-2023 04:41 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Really thought Clark-Heard was going to be a good hire for UC.

Yeah, that was strange. She had a great background (Western Kentucky?) and found near-instant success. I thought we had found lightning in a bottle, but these past few years were a train wreck.

Many coaches/teams have not been able to handle Covid repercussions. I don’t follow but saw some interviews and liked everything about her. Covid issues would be my first guess but who knows. Regardless, the results very clearly show it is time to move on from her

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2023 11:48 AM by natibeast2.0.)
03-07-2023 06:07 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-07-2023 03:45 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Well, most of us called this one...you'd have to figure with the portal kind of helping make jobs with less talented immediate rosters more attractive and us moving to the Big 12, there could be some solid candidates available. This was a non-renewal, as her contract was up at the end of this season.

March 07, 2023

CINCINNATI – University of Cincinnati Director of Athletics John Cunningham announced on Tuesday that women's basketball head coach Michelle Clark-Heard will not return.

A national search for the next Cincinnati women's basketball coach will begin immediately.

"I want to thank Coach Clark-Heard for her dedication to our women's basketball program over the last five years," Cunningham said. "We appreciate all of the time and effort she gave to our student-athletes and our university.

"Our history, recent facility upgrades, continued investment and future in the Big 12 make this a very attractive job. Cincinnati women's basketball can be a contender for championships and we are going to do everything we can to get this program among the best in our new league. We will find the right fit to lead our program and develop our young women on and off the floor."

Clark-Heard led the Bearcats for five seasons and finished with a record of 74-75.

Can we be honest? She finished one game below .500...

That's not terrible.

Not saying we shouldn't have fired her, but her record here certainly wasn't disastrous.

03-07-2023 10:33 PM
TheGreatNate Offline
Water Engineer

(03-07-2023 10:33 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(03-07-2023 03:45 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Well, most of us called this one...you'd have to figure with the portal kind of helping make jobs with less talented immediate rosters more attractive and us moving to the Big 12, there could be some solid candidates available. This was a non-renewal, as her contract was up at the end of this season.

March 07, 2023

That's not terrible.

Not saying we shouldn't have fired her, but her record here certainly wasn't disastrous.

As a whole it doesn't look bad, but the last three years she went 8-16 (6-12), 11-17 (4-11) and 9-21 (2-14). Her teams finished 11th in the AAC the last two years. For those counting, there are 11 women's programs in the AAC...

03-08-2023 07:33 AM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2023 07:33 AM)TheGreatNate Wrote:  
(03-07-2023 10:33 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

March 07, 2023

That's not terrible.

As a whole it doesn't look bad, but the last three years she went 8-16 (6-12), 11-17 (4-11) and 9-21 (2-14). Her teams finished 11th in the AAC the last two years. For those counting, there are 11 women's programs in the AAC...

Like I said, I'm not saying we shouldn't have fired her...

03-08-2023 07:36 AM
Cal1362 Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
(03-07-2023 04:01 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I think we should use a Big 6 wheel like they have at catholic festivals...put random coach names on it and spin to see who gets hired.

SMART people will and should. If UC plans to be anything other than a so-so member of the B12, it will be because of MORE than CFB and MBB. The results of the golf team and track teams are more than encouraging... Baseball and the other Olympic sports will get UC now almost coast to coast publicity, appearances on TV, free pub and help sell at least a few tickets (hopefully) to help offset costs. Drawing quality P5 level athletes across the spectrum needs to be a priority for UCs athletic department... not as high a priority as fielding successful, winning FB and MBB teams but still a very significant priority.

Yes, I know that WBB doesn't generate income, but I know that I just saw the IA vs O$U WBB final on ESPN on one of the screens at BW3, on the same night I was also was able to watch the B1G wrestling tournament and in the last week I've seen the SEC WBB tourney and UConn's women. Women's softball, men and women's volleyball. Baseball, lacrosse, men's and women's soccer all have a significant tv presence and UC being able to field teams competitive enough to warrant appearances beyond the guaranteed minimums (if any) directly helps the UC AD overall and makes UC more of a name and destination for athletes and students across the country and especially in the State of Cincinnati

So yes, someone will definitely notice.

03-08-2023 08:22 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2023 08:22 AM)Cal1362 Wrote:  

SMART people will and should. If UC plans to be anything other than a so-so member of the B12, it will be because of MORE than CFB and MBB. The results of the golf team and track teams are more than encouraging... Baseball and the other Olympic sports will get UC now almost coast to coast publicity, appearances on TV, free pub and help sell at least a few tickets (hopefully) to help offset costs. Drawing quality P5 level athletes across the spectrum needs to be a priority for UCs athletic department... not as high a priority as fielding successful, winning FB and MBB teams but still a very significant priority.

Yes, I know that WBB doesn't generate income, but I know that I just saw the IA vs O$U WBB final on ESPN on one of the screens at BW3, on the same night I was also was able to watch the B1G wrestling tournament and in the last week I've seen the SEC WBB tourney and UConn's women. Women's softball, men and women's volleyball. Baseball, lacrosse, men's and women's soccer all have a significant tv presence and UC being able to field teams competitive enough to warrant appearances beyond the guaranteed minimums (if any) directly helps the UC AD overall and makes UC more of a name and destination for athletes and students across the country and especially in the State of Cincinnati

Well said. In my mind, "Day One Ready" implies all sports will have to step up. The good news? As you stated, these sports will get more national coverage in the Big 12--even if that's just scores reported on the ESPN footer as a P5 program.

For UC coaches on the recruiting trail, that XII logo on their gear should open doors for recruiting that have been locked for a long time. UC Women's basketball doesn't need to be at UCONN's level to be successful, but last place in the American hardly indicates a rising, competitive program.

03-08-2023 09:02 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(03-07-2023 05:24 PM)geef Wrote:  

Always pumping sunshine.

I now get my mail forwarded to me in your head. Spacious, minimalist open floor plan.

We keep making "great" hires and it keeps churning out zilch results. Now why is that? At some point, just hire for solidly average. Save the headache and the bottom line for what is closer to a club sport than even a revenue neutral sport at UC.

03-08-2023 09:45 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(03-08-2023 08:22 AM)Cal1362 Wrote:  

#1 reason this program doesn't succeed?

Ask 10 UCATS members the name of a head coach, current or past of UC's women's basketball program and I bet 9 couldn't come up with a single name after perhaps Laurie Pirttle. And 9 might be being conservative. Ask 100 who the last coach was....outside of a few UC wonks and fans with daughters who are some of the 100's who go to a game once in a while, you'll hear crickets....

How many knew the name of the coach that just got fired? Lol. Good luck.

When the most fervent fans - the ones who spend their disposable income on athletic donations just don't care that much, that's why. It's not a priority for the fanbase. A new coach isn't likely going to change that interest infrastructure much. Recruits and their families aren't stupid, either. They know which schools are into it and which ones aren't. Is what it be.

I wish them well. Problem is bigger than a coach, however.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2023 10:36 AM by rath v2.0.)
03-08-2023 10:35 AM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(03-08-2023 09:45 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Always pumping sunshine.

I now get my mail forwarded to me in your head. Spacious, minimalist open floor plan.

We keep making "great" hires and it keeps churning out zilch results. Now why is that? At some point, just hire for solidly average. Save the headache and the bottom line for what is closer to a club sport than even a revenue neutral sport at UC.

I'm a bit of a mid-century modern fanboy, so you're awfully close on the floor plan in my head, but you need to spend a few weeks a winter in some environs with a bit more daylight. Your single post in the thread for one of our most joyous senior days on record was, of course, a negative......

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2023 11:00 AM by geef.)
03-08-2023 10:59 AM
bearcatmark Offline

(03-08-2023 10:59 AM)geef Wrote:  
(03-08-2023 09:45 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Always pumping sunshine.

I'm a bit of a mid-century modern fanboy, so you're awfully close on the floor plan in my head, but you need to spend a few weeks a winter in some environs with a bit more daylight. Your single post in the thread for one of our most joyous senior days on record was, of course, a negative......

Hard to believe now, but this was once our Rath: https://csnbbs.com/thread-840636.html

03-08-2023 11:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Offline

(03-08-2023 11:08 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Hard to believe now, but this was once our Rath: https://csnbbs.com/thread-840636.html

Also, back before COVID drove them apart, Cataclysmo tried to breathe life into Rath's Sunshine, positivity filled thread.

03-08-2023 11:19 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Reality can be a bummer.

And for the record, for decades this board used to be able to do sarcasm and dark humor with the best. It's now trending towards being a bunch of perpetually pearl clutching sports Karens.

Too bad. Eastside was perhaps right.

03-08-2023 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.