Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My Thoughts on the Quarterfinals
Bookmark and Share
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
My Thoughts on the Quarterfinals
First of all, I want to say the atmosphere at game one was the best I've seen at a Sun Belt Tournament since...maybe ever. Both USA and USM fans turned out, which is what you're supposed to do when travel isn't an issue.

Stop with "the teams that had to already play had an advantage. Bulltacky. South Alabama won because they were the better team. And, given what they did to USM in Mobile, playing against App State two days ago had nothing to do with it.

No, the refs didn't cost USM the game. Actually I thought the game was officiated well. There was a lot of contact in a very physical game and, for the most part, the officials let them play. I'm good with that. I saw Owen White miss open shots early and I guess USM thought they didn't need to guard him...cuz they never did. Harris might have played his best game of the year in the loss. Yes, not having Alvarez hurt, but at about the seven minute mark, USA stopped toying with the Golden Eagles and abused them the rest of the way like they did in Mobile.

Man, the JMU/Troy game was really a good one. Terrance Edwards is a man. A real man. A man's man. But, man, that team from Troy plays so hard and they play for 40 minutes. And, if they don't miss a couple of critical free throws in the final two minutes, we might be talking about a different outcome. And the irony of Mark Byington going up against Scott Cross, which happened when both were at different schools.

Marshall fans are impressive. They brought more fans than any team not named Southern Miss and the dejection on their faces told the whole story.

Why is Texas State an 11 seed. Look no further than the injury to Mason Harrell. He missed three games and then was well less than 100 percent for at least several more. But what we saw today down the stretch is what made Texas State a regular season champion for two straight years. The kid is a gamer.

Marshall lost because Texas State was more physical and because Marshall got exposed as a very average defensive team. Those two things were the issue with the Herd all year, but their guards were talented enough to where they could get away with it. But not today.

When they played in Lafayette, Georgia Southern scored 49 points in the first half. Tonight they scored 49 the entire game. The Cajuns' decision to pressure the ball in the backcourt paid dividends as the Eagles never found a rhythm. Obviously Savrasov's playing at a lot less than 100% hurt. But in the end it really didn't matter. Jordan Brown got over the 1,000 point mark in his second season at Louisiana. The Cajuns have some of the best depth in the league and it showed tonight. Two of the five in double figures came off the bench.

Cajun fans showed up in bigger numbers than I expected because baseball is at home this weekend. But they had the third biggest turnout behind USM and Marshall.

Oh, and you want to know how much of a difference the officiating crew can make. Tonight the two teams combined for 34 free throws. When they played in Lafayette, they shot 72. Both games were on a Saturday.

Looking ahead, I have no idea who is going to win the first semifinal. South is playing its best basketball, but JMU is very capable of winning. Note to the Dukes...might be a good job to guard Owen White. And, how about White and Moore. Both are D-II transfers. If South can defend, I think they'll be in the final.

The Cajuns defeated Texas State by nine in San Marcos (Harrell did not play) and by 20 in Lafayette (Harrell played, but wasn't close to being Harrell.) Texas State will challenge the Cajuns' rebounding prowess. Since the Cajuns knocked them out a year ago, the Bobcats will be motivated. But this might be the time that four games in five days catches up to them. We shall see.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 01:10 AM by BirdofParadise.)
03-05-2023 01:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: My Thoughts on the Quarterfinals
Nice assessment. You may be spot on about the number of games finally catching up with us. But until it does, I’ll hope that we can “beat the odds” at least one more time.
03-05-2023 01:46 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
I think too much has been made about playing cold on a floor versus a team already playing a game. I’d think the first half is when you’d really notice more of that. USM and Marshall both lead at the half.
03-05-2023 08:08 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
I agree. Those are just excuses. And only losers make excuses because, well, they lost. Just people trying to rationalize how their “world beaters “ somehow lost an elimination game to a lower seed.03-lmfao
03-05-2023 08:33 AM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

This is the kind of hard-hitting journalism I expect here on csnbbs.com! Great analysis. Tonight’s games are going to be interesting for sure. Thanks BOP!
03-05-2023 08:36 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
The takeaway for me is that there really isn't that big a difference between the top 4 seeds and the middle of the pack.

The problem for us is that we make a lot of high-schoolish mistakes and even though we got some good looks by our better 3-point shooters we were 1-15 on the day. We're just not a well-coached team and I fear giving Burg another season means him piling up transfers to try and save his job for next season and creating a roster mess for the next coach when we inevitably have to make a coaching change after next season.
03-05-2023 08:47 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
fwiw, JMU is -1 and UL is -7.5 ... my early gut is telling me to take both the faves...

we'll see what my nice and toasty brain says later in the day...
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 08:54 AM by stinkfist.)
03-05-2023 08:53 AM
Advertisement

FrankyP Online
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(03-05-2023 08:53 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  fwiw, JMU is -1 and UL is -7.5 ... my early gut is telling me to take both the faves...

Well, assuming that we win today (and who knows for sure, but I do feel good about that), I just hope we get JMU on Monday. After all, we’ve beaten USA twice already this year, so a third time wouldn’t be as fun as getting revenge for our L to JMU.

05-stirthepot

Good luck to the remaining 4, and great season for everyone else.

And just to refresh, USM is a lock for the NIT, right? But an at-large to the NCAA is not going to happen, correct?
03-05-2023 09:00 AM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

(03-05-2023 09:00 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 08:53 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  fwiw, JMU is -1 and UL is -7.5 ... my early gut is telling me to take both the faves...

Well, assuming that we win today (and who knows for sure, but I do feel good about that), I just hope we get JMU on Monday. After all, we’ve beaten USA twice already this year, so a third time wouldn’t be as fun as getting revenge for our L to JMU.

05-stirthepot

And just to refresh, USM is a lock for the NIT, right? But an at-large to the NCAA is not going to happen, correct?

No comment on beating JMU but yes, USM is NIT bound. If they’re still talking about UNC’s chances to dance then there’s no way the SBC gets two bids. That was already out of the question IMO.
03-05-2023 09:03 AM
Herd6993 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
Good analysis. I think your spot on in your assessment about Marshall, and I would add the coach inexplicably deciding to not run his offense for the last four minutes with a four point lead was also a factor.

One correction, it is Texas State's 4th game in 6 days and first time they have had to play back to back. I don't think that really matters as Louisiana will win no matter how many days rest Texas State had and IMO is the best team left. In fact, I think they are the best team in the league and have a legit shot of winning a first round NCAA game.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 09:26 AM by Herd6993.)
03-05-2023 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

My feeling is that if JMU doesn’t win, I’m rooting like hell for an SBC Sweet 16 appearance. That’s because the storyline will be all about the “up and coming SBC,” positive changes, good additions, etc. It would mean more than a Sweet 16 appearance.
03-05-2023 09:41 AM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
It's interesting to have 3 legacy SBC teams in the Semi's after the newest members played so well throughout the season. I don't think there is any one reason, but it does show the balance within the entire conference.
03-05-2023 09:42 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(03-05-2023 09:42 AM)JTApps1 Wrote:  It's interesting to have 3 legacy SBC teams in the Semi's after the newest members played so well throughout the season. I don't think there is any one reason, but it does show the balance within the entire conference.

Nawww, it just shows that Tournament BB is simply a different animal than Regular Season BB.
03-05-2023 10:21 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU

05-stirthepot

Our game in Harrisonburg was a classic, before it even ended my buddy and I were talking about how intense a tournament rematch would be. I don't know if I should actually want it or not though!
03-05-2023 01:51 PM
FrankyP Online
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(03-05-2023 01:51 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

Our game in Harrisonburg was a classic, before it even ended my buddy and I were talking about how intense a tournament rematch would be. I don't know if I should actually want it or not though!
Yeah…it would actually be the best match….east vs west
03-05-2023 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.